1998 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
The Subaru That Keeps Going
By bigairtrix2 on 08/14/11 12:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Unlike many other reviews that I have read on the 1998 Subaru Forester mine keeps going no matter what I do to it. I have never had a problem with head gaskets or wheel bearings. Yes I have replaced the timing belt at 80k but I do that with every new vehicle I buy. Other things that I have replaced over the life of the car are struts to an adjustable bilstein coil over , rotors and pads to brembo drilled and sloted rotors and pads , cv joints were changed based on the fact the car had 150 k and it was time, clutch to a center force stage two and two sets of tires cause each set wore out after putting over 75 k on each.

1998 Subaru Forester
By smokeymedic81 on 12/22/10 11:47 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car uses so I cant say what the previous owner put it through. It had only 110,000 miles on it when I purchased it 6 months ago. Had my mechanic do a full inspection on it before I bought it. was able to drive it for 3 months, put a whole 3000 miles on it then the head gasket blew. The car is junk now because the cost to replace the head gasket is outragous. Will never buy a subaru again.

4cyl L AWD 4dr hatchback atuomatic trans-bad head gaskets
By carageous on 12/19/10 14:11 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bad electrical system on accessories, i.e. clocks, sun roof, keyless entry) purchased used with 98k miles, sending to the crusher with 264,000 miles due to blown head gaskets that is causing the cooling system to overheat. Cost of repairs more than I care to sink into the old of a vehicle, $1800.00! The MPG was very disappointing, never got over 15MPG city and maybe 20MPG hwy. Transmission had some shifting issues at 200k miles but so bad to require replacing, just grinned and drove it anyway. Tough little cars and fun to drive.

Former Forester owner
By Pip on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this wagon in 04, my senior year of college.. I got a great deal on it. Was 6 years old and had 90k on it. I love the manual transmission. By far the smoothest manual i ever drove. Fantastic in the snow. Just too many problems, radiator, head gasket, tires wear very fast due to the symmetrical all wheel drive. This vehicle broke down 3 straight years on the eve of the biggest snow storm of the year leaving me stranded. I went to a Jeep and haven't looked back.

2.5 Curse
By JAS on 02/18/10 14:26 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car used with 96k miles on it and had high expectations. Knew other Subaru owners that swear by them. I should have read some reviews before buying as apparently this particular engine, which also rears its ugly head in other Subaru models in and around this year, has some major issues. It all started with a bad radiator cap and then led to blown head gasket and who knows what else. I'm dumping it because it isn't worth what its going to cost to repair. This was my first and last Subaru.

I LOVE My Car
By eieio on 11/16/09 12:40 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I am horrible on cars, but this one is still kicking. It is terrific in the snow and off-road. The wheel bearings need to be replaced every few years. If you are looking to buy a 98 Forester, then make sure the head gaskets have been replaced. These cars either die at 120K or they live forever. I would love another Forrester in the future.

What to call an 11 year old car?
By Realist on 11/22/08 19:03 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Well here we are...11 years 180k miles and still going. I figure I paid $20100 for the car, put an average on 18k miles on per year, spend about 2k per year in repairs/maint. So what? Should I trade it in and get a car payment. What is $200 per mo going to buy me... a compact? I have one of those and it can't take a curb, a mud bath, a snow bank, etc. Over time my Suby pulled a Jeep, a Lexus, a Land Rover and about 3 other cars out of ditches. It may be the way I drive or it could be this car (please note: towing is only about 1800 lbs... all the stuck vehicles had to help some). That's it. It is a fair car/truck/wagon/compact/suv/whatever for the price. I would consider buying another.

Best car for a decade
By David on 11/07/08 21:59 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

My 1998 Forester, bought new in the 1st model year, has been the best of many cars I've owned since the '60s. I have just traded the car at 120K miles, facing a big $$ repair, but nothing you wouldn't expect to wear out after 10yrs/100K+ miles. Overall, my Forester has been incredibly reliable and great to drive in our "bad" Northeastern weather. I've set out on long drives at night with total confidence, in all seasons. After this experience, I'd find it hard to part with the AWD. Looking forward to my new '09 Forester.

Great handling
By KimNota on 04/02/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had my Forester for 10 years. Love it. Especially it's handling in the snow. At 5000 miles I had several oil leaks that I know I had from very early on because there was a strong fuel odor. The mechanics had told me at the time it was just how the car ran. Subaru said it wasn't a covered service. After $1800 for engine work, it still wasn't completely repaired. I was given the proper advice that the remaining small leaks might never change or cause any problems. This was 5 years or 35000 miles ago. Subaru kept giving me the run around, asking for more and more info for a possible payment. They wore me down but it's been fine. No other issue.

1998 Forester
By Pat on 02/06/08 07:16 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Love it to death, it is reliable, comfortable, fun to drive, and just tears through the snow, without a hesitation! We highly recommend this vehicle!