1998 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
The best part is it was Free :D
By forester98 on 01/06/12 02:20 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car back in October from my cousin who was getting a new car and didnt want to trade his Subie in. GO HIM! lol It is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. Reliability is amazing, the car has 136k miles on it, and i drove 400 miles to Ohio through the rain soaked mountains of West Virginia with no problems. Enough said. For reference in the rest of this, the Subie I own is a 2.5L 5 speed manual.

The Subaru That Keeps Going
By bigairtrix2 on 08/14/11 12:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Unlike many other reviews that I have read on the 1998 Subaru Forester mine keeps going no matter what I do to it. I have never had a problem with head gaskets or wheel bearings. Yes I have replaced the timing belt at 80k but I do that with every new vehicle I buy. Other things that I have replaced over the life of the car are struts to an adjustable bilstein coil over , rotors and pads to brembo drilled and sloted rotors and pads , cv joints were changed based on the fact the car had 150 k and it was time, clutch to a center force stage two and two sets of tires cause each set wore out after putting over 75 k on each.

1998 Subaru Forester
By smokeymedic81 on 12/22/10 11:47 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car uses so I cant say what the previous owner put it through. It had only 110,000 miles on it when I purchased it 6 months ago. Had my mechanic do a full inspection on it before I bought it. was able to drive it for 3 months, put a whole 3000 miles on it then the head gasket blew. The car is junk now because the cost to replace the head gasket is outragous. Will never buy a subaru again.

4cyl L AWD 4dr hatchback atuomatic trans-bad head gaskets
By carageous on 12/19/10 14:11 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bad electrical system on accessories, i.e. clocks, sun roof, keyless entry) purchased used with 98k miles, sending to the crusher with 264,000 miles due to blown head gaskets that is causing the cooling system to overheat. Cost of repairs more than I care to sink into the old of a vehicle, $1800.00! The MPG was very disappointing, never got over 15MPG city and maybe 20MPG hwy. Transmission had some shifting issues at 200k miles but so bad to require replacing, just grinned and drove it anyway. Tough little cars and fun to drive.

Former Forester owner
By Pip on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this wagon in 04, my senior year of college.. I got a great deal on it. Was 6 years old and had 90k on it. I love the manual transmission. By far the smoothest manual i ever drove. Fantastic in the snow. Just too many problems, radiator, head gasket, tires wear very fast due to the symmetrical all wheel drive. This vehicle broke down 3 straight years on the eve of the biggest snow storm of the year leaving me stranded. I went to a Jeep and haven't looked back.

2.5 Curse
By JAS on 02/18/10 14:26 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car used with 96k miles on it and had high expectations. Knew other Subaru owners that swear by them. I should have read some reviews before buying as apparently this particular engine, which also rears its ugly head in other Subaru models in and around this year, has some major issues. It all started with a bad radiator cap and then led to blown head gasket and who knows what else. I'm dumping it because it isn't worth what its going to cost to repair. This was my first and last Subaru.

I LOVE My Car
By eieio on 11/16/09 12:40 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I am horrible on cars, but this one is still kicking. It is terrific in the snow and off-road. The wheel bearings need to be replaced every few years. If you are looking to buy a 98 Forester, then make sure the head gaskets have been replaced. These cars either die at 120K or they live forever. I would love another Forrester in the future.

Ugly, Yet Tough, Reliable & Fun to Drive
By MMoretti on 08/01/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought my Forester used in 2004. While it is not the most beautiful vehicle (it sort of looks like the car seen in "National Lampoon's Vacation)...it has proven to be dependable, fun to drive, and an unstoppable monster in the worst Winter weather New England has to offer. The AWD is great! While the car has gone through a few wheel bearings, and does leak small amounts of oil, it still looks new and runs strong at 194,000 miles. Looking for a new car, but I may hang onto my Subaru as a beater/dog hauler.

Biased on subarus, but lessons learned
By Cautious fan on 05/16/09 22:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

I learned to drive on a Subaru and am somewhat biased. What I have learned is that Suabarus in general can be reliable cars most of the time. I bought my '98 Forester w/ 125k miles and had minor mechanical issues, 2 CV joint replacements and a new thermostat. However, a year ago many major issues popped up, including major repair on the front end and rear rotors. Now the automatic transmission is shifting hard into and out of 1st gear plus a bent rod makes a lot of noise during start-ups. The handling is sound and AWD works beautifully, many chances to hydroplane but the wheels caught the road instantly. Low profile feels like you're driving a car but with twice the cargo room.

I need a new one
By david on 04/28/09 14:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

This first series model (1998) has a flaw. The rear wheel bearings were ball bearings but I replaced them at 50000 miles for the later design of roller bearings. No problems since. I have had the timing belt changed at 60000 miles and also the oil seals. The dealer had a special and I took it. It needs the seals replaced again because of a small leak but the cost is almost the worth of the vehicle. I may still do this because it is cheaper than a new vehicle. It also could do with a new set of shock absorbers. Changed the battery twice but other than that it starts first time and just keeps on going. I would love a 2010 model but this one won't die.