Used 1998 Subaru Forester Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

1998 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

The best part is it was Free :D
By forester98

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car back in October from my cousin who was getting a new car and didnt want to trade his Subie in. GO HIM! lol It is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. Reliability is amazing, the car has 136k miles on it, and i drove 400 miles to Ohio through the rain soaked mountains of West Virginia with no problems. Enough said. For reference in the rest of this, the Subie I own is a 2.5L 5 speed manual.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature of this car has to be the amount of engineering put into this car. Its just plain, simple, and smart. The 5 speed has a 50/50 torque distribution front to rear all the time. Unlike other car brands who haven't been into the AWD scene very long, Subaru has been making solely AWD cars for the last 40 years. Between both of these facts I never have to worry about anything catastrophically failing and costing me a small fortune, unlike my last car... I could go on for days about what I love about my Forester, but I'll go easy and say my absolute favorite part about this car was the cost, $0.00 :D

Suggested Improvements

I only have one minor blip on this car, Fuel mileage in city needs improving, but I'm still in the process of fixing her up. As of now I average about 22mpg overall and get around 27 highway. I would have expected a little more with only a 2.5 liter engine, but I do know symmetrical 4wd requires a good amount of torque to power. Hopefully with a couple aftermarket N.A. mods I can gain a few ft-lbs of LOW-END torque and get some MPG back. Oh one last thing, don't EVER bring your car to a dealer after the warranty has expired. My cousin was loyal to a dealer but since I do my own oil changes I found out the dealer used an impact wrench on every nut and bolt in the car = EXTRA WORK for me

Ugly, Yet Tough, Reliable & Fun to Drive
By MMoretti

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought my Forester used in 2004. While it is not the most beautiful vehicle (it sort of looks like the car seen in "National Lampoon's Vacation)...it has proven to be dependable, fun to drive, and an unstoppable monster in the worst Winter weather New England has to offer. The AWD is great! While the car has gone through a few wheel bearings, and does leak small amounts of oil, it still looks new and runs strong at 194,000 miles. Looking for a new car, but I may hang onto my Subaru as a beater/dog hauler.

Favorite Features

The All Wheel Drive, comfortable seats, tons of space...if you have multiple dogs and travel with them, you will appreciate the interior layout. The motor just goes and goes...even a -20 winter morning won't keep this thing from firing up without delay!

Suggested Improvements

Move the drink holder away from the heat/AC vent. I like my coffee hot and my Dr.Pepper cold! Wheel bearings, wheel bearings, wheel bearings! They could use a little help.

A lemon!
By LJN

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the vehicle for durability and reliability. Have gone through multiple sets of tires, several sets of wheel bearings, two water pumps, and most recently replaced head gaskets ... all before 45K! Vehicle has known design flaws (head gaskets, for example) that Subaru of America refuses to be accountable for, offering cheap, short-term fixes. Will never buy another Subaru unless/until company stands behind their product!

Favorite Features

AWD, cross between wagon and SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car reliable and durable.

Would never buy another Subaru!
By Lizzy

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has done nothing but cost us money! We have only owned it 4 years and only have 85,000 on a 10 year old vehicle but have had to replace the seals, transfer solenoid, clutches, you name it! Guess what? Once again, the engine light and At Oil Temp light are flashing after having the clutches replaced only 10 months ago. No one else can fix this vehicle either other than a Subaru Dealer. STAY FAR AWAY!

Favorite Features

None

Some good but wheel bearings a killer!!!
By s cristaldi

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

The car was purchased new. Has good features like paint/body quality. However have needed to replace wheel bearings almost every year. This is a 350 to 400 expense. Every year! Subaru has refused to take responsibility for this obvious engineering defect. So, be very careful purchasing a Subaru they will not back their products. Will never buy another Subaru. Too afraid of excessive costs.

Favorite Features

Am impressed with exterior quality and paint quality. No rust yet!

Suggested Improvements

When they make an obvious mistake with a defect they should take responsibility! Interior could be improved. Should also monitor dealership better. Bad dealer, bad purchase!