1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
The best part is it was Free :D
By forester98 on 01/06/12 02:20 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car back in October from my cousin who was getting a new car and didnt want to trade his Subie in. GO HIM! lol It is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. Reliability is amazing, the car has 136k miles on it, and i drove 400 miles to Ohio through the rain soaked mountains of West Virginia with no problems. Enough said. For reference in the rest of this, the Subie I own is a 2.5L 5 speed manual.

Ugly, Yet Tough, Reliable & Fun to Drive
By MMoretti on 08/01/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought my Forester used in 2004. While it is not the most beautiful vehicle (it sort of looks like the car seen in "National Lampoon's Vacation)...it has proven to be dependable, fun to drive, and an unstoppable monster in the worst Winter weather New England has to offer. The AWD is great! While the car has gone through a few wheel bearings, and does leak small amounts of oil, it still looks new and runs strong at 194,000 miles. Looking for a new car, but I may hang onto my Subaru as a beater/dog hauler.

A lemon!
By LJN on 02/11/09 14:05 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the vehicle for durability and reliability. Have gone through multiple sets of tires, several sets of wheel bearings, two water pumps, and most recently replaced head gaskets ... all before 45K! Vehicle has known design flaws (head gaskets, for example) that Subaru of America refuses to be accountable for, offering cheap, short-term fixes. Will never buy another Subaru unless/until company stands behind their product!

Would never buy another Subaru!
By Lizzy on 05/01/08 11:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has done nothing but cost us money! We have only owned it 4 years and only have 85,000 on a 10 year old vehicle but have had to replace the seals, transfer solenoid, clutches, you name it! Guess what? Once again, the engine light and At Oil Temp light are flashing after having the clutches replaced only 10 months ago. No one else can fix this vehicle either other than a Subaru Dealer. STAY FAR AWAY!

Some good but wheel bearings a killer!!!
By s cristaldi on 02/01/08 17:26 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

The car was purchased new. Has good features like paint/body quality. However have needed to replace wheel bearings almost every year. This is a 350 to 400 expense. Every year! Subaru has refused to take responsibility for this obvious engineering defect. So, be very careful purchasing a Subaru they will not back their products. Will never buy another Subaru. Too afraid of excessive costs.

UGGGH
By Bill on 12/16/07 21:32 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

NOthing but problems with this one. Its to bad because I loved the (260,000 miles) outback I had previously. The forrester has been a nightmare. Wheel bearings, every seal the thing has. Now the head gasket. I will be giving up on this one.

I wish it didn't break down so often
By vande32 on 07/16/07 15:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car used while in graduate school because I couldn't afford to have a car payment. I should have bought a new car instead. I have spent nearly $4000 fixing it in the last two years because at 80,000 and 100,000 miles, every sensor had to be replaced. I have also had to put in a new clutch and a master cylinder. The engine light will go on and when I take it to the dealer or a mechanic, they tell me that the engine has missed but that they can't find a reason. While the car gets 28 mpg for me, drives great in the snow, and is nice for hauling my dogs and groceries, I will never buy a Subaru again after this experience.