Great car horrible nav/media unit
By stoffe on
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
This is my second Subaru and boy is it very different then all the other models in their line-up. It drives great and you feel very connected. If anything for a nimble sports car it feels a bit under powered. For the money you pay its a steal. Even if the turbo model would cost 10k$ more it would still be worth it. I even have two Recaro child seats in the back and my boys love it! They even want to squeeze in the BRZ for 1-2h trips instead of our comfy Lexus RX.
Favorite Features
Low center of gravity for great cornering. Great exterior styling (most people think the car cost twice the sticker price). Start/Stop button and keyless entry (since the car is low its even more important) Driving position and contact with the car, pedals, steering wheel, gearbox are all great and get you connected. The narrow tires are also a lot of fun and you can feel that they did a good job with the anti spin system.
Suggested Improvements
Head unit/navigation is a disaster! Subaru america did not even acknowledge any of the problems and specially safety issues I put forward. They just told me to contact my local dealer. Sounds like they just want to hide behind the dealer. What should the dealer do, write new software for the head unit? Here is a sample of the problems. Constant "GPS signal lost" message, actually lost and wrong directions, not able to remove a paired BT phone from the list. Most times automatic BT connection to phone fails. iPhone only found with cable after 2nd insertion. Call/hangup buttons tiny and laggy(hard to press). Drive away in phone mode can not change radio station. Bug with multi ch HD radio.....
By mightymeeple
on 05/28/13 10:13 AM (PDT)

I own this car as well. I can say that yes, the layout of the buttons on the head unit are not great. I find the volume know way too small, and some of the touch screen buttons difficult to use at first until you get the hang of it. Does it ruin the car's experience? No. As for signal loss, that has been addressed via an update you can get through the dealer and already fixed on newer cars being manufactured. I have owned my car for over three months now, reside in North America and have never lost signal or had navigation issues with the GPS.