Used 2013 Subaru BRZ Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Brz - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru BRZ Coupe

View reviews for a specific BRZ model:

2013 BRZ Limited 6 Speed Manual
By nevijeff

2013 Subaru BRZ Coupe Limited 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

As mentioned by others a lot has been written about this car and most of it is true. The car is very well balanced and is great on the backroads. Power is adequate given the weight of the car too much more and it would affect the driving dynamics of the vehicle. Shifting is very precise and short just the way you want it but in the cold weather until the car warms up shifts from 1st to 2nd can be a bit clunky. layout of interior is fantastic seats are supportive but being sport seats can be a little snug for larger people. Back seat to me are just there to save insurance costs not very practical at all. Very well appointed for the money, stock tires are way too brutal over road transitions.

Favorite Features

Appearance of car inside and out very well done. Drop down rear seats for extra storage, crisp shifting manual transmission. Very good visibility, excellent heating and cooling control. Many features included in base price, great value. Great balance, tight steering - very precise. Good sounding stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Put Ultra High Performance All season Radials on car vs. Grand Touring tires. Tires are too hard you feel every pebble you drive over, I am changing tires after 1 week of ownership. Buttons to change radio stations a bit small hard to change stations. Don't include NAV in the car, I would rather save 1K and attach a 120.00 Garmin to the windshield when I need it. Offer streamlined splash guards, I have some on my C6 corvette that look great. Audio/Phone buttons on Steering wheel would be nice. Homelink rear view mirror Std would be nice, everyone likes to control their garage door opener at least from the car.

A car not pass up
By zenith13

2013 Subaru BRZ Coupe Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This is my first Subaru. Coming from a celica, and with this car being made jointly by Toyota and Subaru, I felt close to home. The engineers nailed it on this one - the 200hp to weight ratio is perfect and the handling is great. I had a problem with the nav system twice and had to take it to the dealer and have it replaced, but other then that it is a great car to drive and a car that a car enthusiast should not pass up.

Favorite Features

The handling, and light weight design.

Suggested Improvements

More mid range torqe, sometimes you do find yourself falling behind.

A pure driver's car for under 30K
By mightymeeple

2013 Subaru BRZ Coupe Limited 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Others both professional and amateur have reviewed this car all over the internet. Let me confirm that the positive hyperbole is actually warranted. Incredible sports car for the money. If you are a car enthusiast, you must drive this car. Steering is quick and nimble, suspension is firm and confident, acceleration could be better, but who cares when you are giggling and grinning as you carve up any curve with confidence. The boxer rumble is nice, I wouldn't mind some more noise from the stock exhaust. Weak points are what you would expect: small trunk, small backseat, low entry into car tough for taller folks (I'm 6'2" and can get in okay).

Favorite Features

1. Driving experience; this car means business, and when you sit in the driver's seat you can tell that. Great seat position with wheel and shifter; gauge cluster is no nonsense with large tach and digital speedo. Car feels like a natural extension of the driver while driving. 2. Exterior styling; this car looks fantastic on the road and it literally turns heads. Random people look, stare, wave, take photos and ask me what kind of car is that?! 3. I look forward to driving this car everyday.

Suggested Improvements

Almost every reviewer decries: more power! So I'll jump on the bandwagon to. Would have preferred closer to 250 horsepower and 200 lb/ft torque.

What's not to like
By jmk651

2013 Subaru BRZ Coupe Limited 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

It really is a fun car to drive, and you don't need to be going fast. It looks great, I like the inside a lot. The seats are really comfortable (I'm 6'4"), and there's plenty of room. The value is amazing, HID's, spoiler, the keyless access is cool, It's pretty much fully loaded. So far it's been 10 months, and I haven't had any problems. I've driven it in winter, and the traction control is awesome, it really keeps the car in line. I didn't really have much problems in the snow/ice.

Favorite Features

Keyless access, styling, interior look (limited), sound, cornering, and balance.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk space- I know it's a sports car, and the volume might be decent on paper, but the trunk opening is so small, that nothing fits in there. Nav is nicer than the cheap stack in the FRS, but it's really annoying to control. The buttons are miniscule The suspension is really stiff for pot-hole riddled roads

Great car horrible nav/media unit
By stoffe

2013 Subaru BRZ Coupe Limited 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second Subaru and boy is it very different then all the other models in their line-up. It drives great and you feel very connected. If anything for a nimble sports car it feels a bit under powered. For the money you pay its a steal. Even if the turbo model would cost 10k$ more it would still be worth it. I even have two Recaro child seats in the back and my boys love it! They even want to squeeze in the BRZ for 1-2h trips instead of our comfy Lexus RX.

Favorite Features

Low center of gravity for great cornering. Great exterior styling (most people think the car cost twice the sticker price). Start/Stop button and keyless entry (since the car is low its even more important) Driving position and contact with the car, pedals, steering wheel, gearbox are all great and get you connected. The narrow tires are also a lot of fun and you can feel that they did a good job with the anti spin system.

Suggested Improvements

Head unit/navigation is a disaster! Subaru america did not even acknowledge any of the problems and specially safety issues I put forward. They just told me to contact my local dealer. Sounds like they just want to hide behind the dealer. What should the dealer do, write new software for the head unit? Here is a sample of the problems. Constant "GPS signal lost" message, actually lost and wrong directions, not able to remove a paired BT phone from the list. Most times automatic BT connection to phone fails. iPhone only found with cable after 2nd insertion. Call/hangup buttons tiny and laggy(hard to press). Drive away in phone mode can not change radio station. Bug with multi ch HD radio.....