Fun Little Truck
By bpeebles on
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
When I was looking to replace my V8 Dodge Dakota, checked every dealership within 50 miles. Nothing really caught my eye. I really wanted something that would be more like my 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup (size-wise) This is my 1st Subaru and I was kind of apprehensive. But, after less than a year, I am wondering why I have not owned a Subaru before. In the snow, this thing handles very predictably. The turbo offers the very best of both worlds... 4cylinder economy most of the time with the kick in the rear of a 6cylinder when you want it. The first time I pinned my wife to the seat accelerating onto the interstate was pure pleasure. (for me,anyway)
Favorite Features
Turbo accelleration! 4WD,Suspension Handles dirt roads smoothly,Body tends to resist rust,Boxer engine is smoooth, Near perfect blend of car/truck features,My rear seat spends most of the time folded down for cargo,Heater warms up quickly is powerful,Subaru dealer has decent service/parts people
Suggested Improvements
Manual Xmission feels "mushy" compared to world-class Volkswagen manual on my Diesel Jetta. Brakes are also not as good as VW. A Turbo-diesel engine with 50+ MPG would sell like hotcakes. If you don't have the alignment adjusted annually, the rear adjustments get rusted and will not move anymore.
By themacguy
on 09/20/11 23:16 PM (PDT)

hey peebles! this is the macguy from the dakota quad board. i've been looking at one of these baja turbo thingies for my youngest daughter's first car/truck, and i just saw your post. talk about a blast from the past! how are ya doin' man? i'm thinkin' since we're moving from ultra dry midland, tx up to sometimes snowy and always cool ruidoso, nm mountain area that we might get a few more visits from the kiddos if they have something that'll handle some snow on occasion. seems like the baja might get some good mpg. our current neighbor's daughter has a friend that parks a yellow turbo baja across the street now and then, so i get to look it over pretty well. i saw it tonight and thought i might pop in here and get some info on one. nice to see you're still hangin' around edmunds. i'm looking at the new dakota replacement as a new truck for me, but i'll never sell the 2000 quad cab. it's been too good a truck. i'll just put it in my little car collection and keep it for posterity. ya'll still waaayyyyy up north? miss the 'pumpkin' quad cab? lol i do love that color, and i haven't seen one in years around here.