2006 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
Fun
By Mike on 04/08/07 12:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I wanted new car or pick-up truck, and I was undecided, untill 2006 Subaru Baja. It is everything that I wanted! Drives like a car, and I can pick-up some furniture or other items without paying for deliveries. It is a little bit sluggish, however I was supprised at fuel economy. I am getting around 27 mpg with mixed driving. All I need is cargo cover so I can pick-up kids and go grocery shopping when raining.

Keep it away from the dealership!
By Chris on 02/28/07 17:26 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Baja to save gas over my Chev full size pick-up. WRONG MOVE. At first it got really great mileage (almost 30 mpg on hwy) but then I took it to the dealer for its first oil change. BIG BIG MISTAKE. After that day it starting getting 17 mpg in town and 20 mpg on hwy. I took it back to the dealer (02/07) and the mechanic said no codes showed bad and therefore he couldn't work on the vehicle. The dealer offered me $18k trade in for a new Chevy truck and I guess that's about the best I can expect to get. Such a great concept vehicle but I can see now why Subaru never sold very many of them. Why drive a tiny truck if it uses as much fuel as a comfortable one? Save your money!

Great All Around Vehicle!
By Bill on 01/09/07 00:15 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB w/Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Just purchased one of the remaining 2006 leather turbo models. I had to travel out of state to get it but it was well worth the trip. It accelerates and handles great. I traded in a 2004 VW Touareg V8 and do not regret my decision whatsoever. It is much funner to drive than the Touareg and is just as comfortable in my opinion. The only complaint with the Baja is its sub standard stereo and the fact that no navigation system or satellite radio is offered. I have already replaced the entire system and have installed an in dash navigation/stereo.

Small Commuter Truck
By workb4play on 12/30/06 14:17 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Baja Sport as an economical alternative to my RAM 2500 Diesel for a round trip commute of 70 miles. Being only 5'9" and 180#, this vehicle seems harder to get in the driver's seat than any I have ever owned. It also lacks the power of any previous vehicles. But, I did not buy for power and once you are in the driver's seat, this is one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever owned. It has a sports car ride and feel. Interior finish sets the standard for its competitors. Base vinyl/fabric seats are supportive, top quality, and everyone thinks it is leather. Door panels are equally impressive. Engine is very quiet. Transmission shifts smooth but downshifts at the slightest hill.

Best of all worlds
By Kevin on 12/05/06 13:39 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ride of a sedan, most of the functionality of a small truck, handles great. The engine is just as smooth as my partner's RX8. I had a 2002 Mazda B2300 before this, and after driving the Baja, I couldn't bear to get back in it. The difference in the refinement is like night and day. Just had my first bit of bad winter weather, and didn't slide once. This may be my first and only Baja if they stop production, but I'm sold on Subaru for life.

Fun to drive
By DWL on 11/22/06 14:04 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is not a high performance car but I knew that when I bought it. It is peppy for its engine and body size. It also handles curves really nice. As for comfort, it is comfortable as I need and it gets good gas mileage considering I drive 78 miles everyday to and from work. I am getting in the upper 26 to lower 27/mpg.

good car
By oscar on 11/05/06 08:36 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I sell Hondas, so you can imagine what kind of buyer I am. The Subaru is for my wife (yes I could not sell her a Honda). Anyways the car is great - she loves it, the only thing they need to improve is the pick up from 0 to 60 for the auto transmission, it's a little bit sluggish. Also a gas guzzler considering is a small car; we get 18.5 miles to gallon on city with light traffic. That is what I get in my V-6 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4, then again you have to consider that the Baja is an all wheel drive. Overall I'll give a 9.5.

great car/truck
By icrackdr on 10/05/06 18:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I wouldn't trade for any other car.

Dream car/truck
By Frankie on 09/16/06 13:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ever since the first ad came out for the Baja, I was hooked. I test drove the first models our Subaru dealership got and it was instant want. They handle beautifully, gets awesome gas mileage and has a wonderful sporty design. The comforts of a sedan with the utility of a truck. I had a 2000 Ford Focus before I got the Baja I have now, and when it started giving me problems, I wasted no time giving the dealership the keys and traded it for my very own, my first Subaru Baja. And I am happy I made the decision. This vehicle is certainly made for someone like me with the life style I have. Versatile and impressive. A well built machine for its day!

perfect car/perfect truck
By bonnie on 08/29/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love my Baja wouldn't trade it for any other car or truck. Subaru is making mistake not continuing making them. Everything is great, from sounds to drive. From a beach to a mud hole it drives on it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.