Decent car but beware
By Mike on
2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
I've had our 2006 Baja for almost four years now. While I do wish it was a Turbo (the car is too heavy for the engine to accelerate at a decent rate), it drives very well and is very predictable in bad weather and conditions. The styling is pretty cool, and the AWD is great when it snows. However, my engine has a head gasket leak. Yep, at 70,000 miles - both heads are leaking oil. It's not a huge issue right now, as the leak is very minor, but still the dealer wants $1500 for it. Same price as the other guy - I wonder if we have the same dealer? Who knows, but it's still annoying and therefore I will not recommend Subaru to anyone until I know that this issue is resolved.
Favorite Features
Versatility - there's a bunch of things this car will do. All-wheel-drive, of course, is amazing when it rains and snows. Styling - there's nothing like it. Handling is also good which is why it's a shame that the engine is as small as it is.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the Head Gasket issue! Come on Subaru! This issue has been with EJ25 (the engine the car uses) since 1998! And worse of all, there are newer cars with the issues still! Other than that, the Baja should have come standard with the H6 or the 2.5 turbo as the car bogs when loaded.