Used 2006 Subaru Baja Turbo Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Fun Little Truck
By bpeebles

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I was looking to replace my V8 Dodge Dakota, checked every dealership within 50 miles. Nothing really caught my eye. I really wanted something that would be more like my 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup (size-wise) This is my 1st Subaru and I was kind of apprehensive. But, after less than a year, I am wondering why I have not owned a Subaru before. In the snow, this thing handles very predictably. The turbo offers the very best of both worlds... 4cylinder economy most of the time with the kick in the rear of a 6cylinder when you want it. The first time I pinned my wife to the seat accelerating onto the interstate was pure pleasure. (for me,anyway)

Favorite Features

Turbo accelleration! 4WD,Suspension Handles dirt roads smoothly,Body tends to resist rust,Boxer engine is smoooth, Near perfect blend of car/truck features,My rear seat spends most of the time folded down for cargo,Heater warms up quickly is powerful,Subaru dealer has decent service/parts people

Suggested Improvements

Manual Xmission feels "mushy" compared to world-class Volkswagen manual on my Diesel Jetta. Brakes are also not as good as VW. A Turbo-diesel engine with 50+ MPG would sell like hotcakes. If you don't have the alignment adjusted annually, the rear adjustments get rusted and will not move anymore.

Silver Bullet
By Jason

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love driving my '06 Baja Turbo! It accelerates quickly and performs very well. I have hauled a big freezer, a washer & dryer set (whole set at once!), even hauled a riding mower home from Sears. The mower barely fit, but due to the width of the Baja's bed I was able to accomodate it. It's awesome in the snow and mud and I have yet to get it stuck. The Baja comes well equipped with an impressive list of standard equipment. I love driving my Baja!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the All Wheel Drive.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a power rear window instead of the 'switchback' system. How about an in-bed 'trunk' like the Honda Ridgeline? Subaru ceased Baja production in 2006, so my suggestions are falling on deaf ears!

perfect car/perfect truck
By bonnie

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love my Baja wouldn't trade it for any other car or truck. Subaru is making mistake not continuing making them. Everything is great, from sounds to drive. From a beach to a mud hole it drives on it.

Favorite Features

All, the size, the drive, the look and it never leaves me on the side of the road.

Suggested Improvements

Only suggestion is to factory tint all windows and have a fold up back cover part of car when purchased. I made one for mine, works great. Keep making them.

Subaru Baja Turbo
By Chris Larson

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I thoroughly enjoy driving my car. I was very impressed with the power that this car has. Great ground clearance, brakes,and handling. I drive many cars every day, this one got my attention. No mechanical problems whatsoever. Great powerband, very torquey. Steering positive and responsive. I haven't had much snow around here, but when there is the car has no problem sensing traction loss. People ask me how I would describe this car; I reply that it looks like an underdog boxer but has one heck of a knock-out punch.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged motor, odd appearance, also it's a Subaru.

Suggested Improvements

Little bit of a hesitation at 2500 rpms, could use a better sounding stereo. I have the 6 disc with the tweeter but it lacks some bass.

Best Vehicle
By Jake

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Baja's supple blend of sport and utility is superior. I went from a full size F-150 to the Baja and it has made life so much easier.

Favorite Features

Turbo.

Suggested Improvements

Side air bags.