Used 2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

03 Baja 2.5 non turbo
By wot27

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Being my 2nd Subaru, I am glad this one isn't the SVX. I LOVE this one, its great in the bends, a little on slow side w/out turbo but keeping rpm's up compensates fine for "in the city" driving if you feel the need. I have slight leak at 60k miles on my heads. As it seems to be known issue, I am displeased SOA has not done something to correct issue with the customers. as long as I get too 100k ill do head gaskets, water pump and belt @ same time. till then just keeping the oil changed.

Subaru of America, Own up, Offer Subaru owners something that is obviously a KNOWN issue, to be fixed at reduced/free cost. We as owners didn't expect faulty head gaskets. Yet, we still enjoy your product enough, to recommend others buy them.

Decent car but beware
By Mike

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had our 2006 Baja for almost four years now. While I do wish it was a Turbo (the car is too heavy for the engine to accelerate at a decent rate), it drives very well and is very predictable in bad weather and conditions. The styling is pretty cool, and the AWD is great when it snows. However, my engine has a head gasket leak. Yep, at 70,000 miles - both heads are leaking oil. It's not a huge issue right now, as the leak is very minor, but still the dealer wants $1500 for it. Same price as the other guy - I wonder if we have the same dealer? Who knows, but it's still annoying and therefore I will not recommend Subaru to anyone until I know that this issue is resolved.

Versatility - there's a bunch of things this car will do. All-wheel-drive, of course, is amazing when it rains and snows. Styling - there's nothing like it. Handling is also good which is why it's a shame that the engine is as small as it is.

Fix the Head Gasket issue! Come on Subaru! This issue has been with EJ25 (the engine the car uses) since 1998! And worse of all, there are newer cars with the issues still! Other than that, the Baja should have come standard with the H6 or the 2.5 turbo as the car bogs when loaded.

defective
By vince

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

love the car but there is a flaw with the head gaskets. I'm leaking oil at 78,000 mi. dealer wants 1500 to fix. seems I'm not alone, beware!

sporty

better head gaskets

Fun Little Truck
By bpeebles

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I was looking to replace my V8 Dodge Dakota, checked every dealership within 50 miles. Nothing really caught my eye. I really wanted something that would be more like my 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup (size-wise) This is my 1st Subaru and I was kind of apprehensive. But, after less than a year, I am wondering why I have not owned a Subaru before. In the snow, this thing handles very predictably. The turbo offers the very best of both worlds... 4cylinder economy most of the time with the kick in the rear of a 6cylinder when you want it. The first time I pinned my wife to the seat accelerating onto the interstate was pure pleasure. (for me,anyway)

Turbo accelleration! 4WD,Suspension Handles dirt roads smoothly,Body tends to resist rust,Boxer engine is smoooth, Near perfect blend of car/truck features,My rear seat spends most of the time folded down for cargo,Heater warms up quickly is powerful,Subaru dealer has decent service/parts people

Manual Xmission feels "mushy" compared to world-class Volkswagen manual on my Diesel Jetta. Brakes are also not as good as VW. A Turbo-diesel engine with 50+ MPG would sell like hotcakes. If you don't have the alignment adjusted annually, the rear adjustments get rusted and will not move anymore.

Build these again!!
By bluebaja

2006 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When our 03 Baja was getting high miles, there was only 1 choice to replace it - another Baja! We found our 06 6 hours from our home still under factory warranty. The only complaint I have about the Baja is SOA didn't keep making them based on the new Outback. Comfortable, capable off road, great in the snow - what more could anyone want from a daily driver? If you don't need the towing capacity of a full size truck and still want decent gas mileage with a truck bed (plywood and drywall as well as dimensional lumber fits), the Baja is your vehicle! If SOA had advertised them, they would have sold like hot cakes. 3 people bought 1 after seeing our 03.

AWD, bed with midgate/switchback, unique styling, comfortable ride, off road capability-jack of all trades. It's the swiss army knife of vehicles. Got 31.5 MPG highway driving it home when we bought it!

Build them again!! I'd love to see a new Baja based on the current Outback with similar options like the all weather package which was Canada only on the 03-06 Baja as well as the trip computer and iPod capable radio. Advertise them this time and they will sell.