2006 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
03 Baja 2.5 non turbo
By wot27 on 01/04/11 17:32 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Being my 2nd Subaru, I am glad this one isn't the SVX. I LOVE this one, its great in the bends, a little on slow side w/out turbo but keeping rpm's up compensates fine for "in the city" driving if you feel the need. I have slight leak at 60k miles on my heads. As it seems to be known issue, I am displeased SOA has not done something to correct issue with the customers. as long as I get too 100k ill do head gaskets, water pump and belt @ same time. till then just keeping the oil changed.

Decent car but beware
By Mike on 05/01/10 15:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had our 2006 Baja for almost four years now. While I do wish it was a Turbo (the car is too heavy for the engine to accelerate at a decent rate), it drives very well and is very predictable in bad weather and conditions. The styling is pretty cool, and the AWD is great when it snows. However, my engine has a head gasket leak. Yep, at 70,000 miles - both heads are leaking oil. It's not a huge issue right now, as the leak is very minor, but still the dealer wants $1500 for it. Same price as the other guy - I wonder if we have the same dealer? Who knows, but it's still annoying and therefore I will not recommend Subaru to anyone until I know that this issue is resolved.

defective
By vince on 03/10/10 20:43 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

love the car but there is a flaw with the head gaskets. I'm leaking oil at 78,000 mi. dealer wants 1500 to fix. seems I'm not alone, beware!

Fun Little Truck
By bpeebles on 01/29/10 17:08 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I was looking to replace my V8 Dodge Dakota, checked every dealership within 50 miles. Nothing really caught my eye. I really wanted something that would be more like my 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup (size-wise) This is my 1st Subaru and I was kind of apprehensive. But, after less than a year, I am wondering why I have not owned a Subaru before. In the snow, this thing handles very predictably. The turbo offers the very best of both worlds... 4cylinder economy most of the time with the kick in the rear of a 6cylinder when you want it. The first time I pinned my wife to the seat accelerating onto the interstate was pure pleasure. (for me,anyway)

Build these again!!
By bluebaja on 02/10/09 08:10 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When our 03 Baja was getting high miles, there was only 1 choice to replace it - another Baja! We found our 06 6 hours from our home still under factory warranty. The only complaint I have about the Baja is SOA didn't keep making them based on the new Outback. Comfortable, capable off road, great in the snow - what more could anyone want from a daily driver? If you don't need the towing capacity of a full size truck and still want decent gas mileage with a truck bed (plywood and drywall as well as dimensional lumber fits), the Baja is your vehicle! If SOA had advertised them, they would have sold like hot cakes. 3 people bought 1 after seeing our 03.

Silver Bullet
By Jason on 06/30/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love driving my '06 Baja Turbo! It accelerates quickly and performs very well. I have hauled a big freezer, a washer & dryer set (whole set at once!), even hauled a riding mower home from Sears. The mower barely fit, but due to the width of the Baja's bed I was able to accomodate it. It's awesome in the snow and mud and I have yet to get it stuck. The Baja comes well equipped with an impressive list of standard equipment. I love driving my Baja!

Consolation prize
By Defo on 03/27/08 18:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

$100 a week on fuel was reason enough to sell my Frontier and acquire a used Baja. I'd trade-off the loss of a little pickup and a 6' bed for the all wheel drive/better handling, great standard features (fog lights, power moonroof, ski rack, bed extender, etc.) to save 30% on the gas bill any day! This vehicle is a great downsizing option. Subaru may want to re-think their decision to stop making them before a competitor does.

My favorite car
By kim on 10/28/07 09:10 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

A truck doesn't compare. A car doesn't compare. This is the best of both worlds. You have the versatility and payload of a truck, the four wheel capability of a truck, the acceleration of a low end performance car, and the comfort of a low end luxury car.

My cartruck
By leslie on 10/28/07 09:02 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Love the versatility. Love the low entry. Miss storage compartments. Back seat compartment too small. Great handling in rain and snow.

May be a niche market, but one I'm in!
By ted13 on 06/27/07 15:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Baja Turbo 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I absolutely love my Baja! Fantastic handling, comfort, and style with more than enough room for cargo for me. I do wish the gas mileage was a bit better, though.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.