2005 Subaru Baja Sport Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

2005 Baja Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Sort Reviews by

Form meets Function
By JustLee

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This car/truck is just plain fun.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive. Corners great. Even though a 4 cylinder has plenty of giddy up.

Suggested Improvements

Put storage space under the back seat. Offer a weather proof cargo pouch for the truck bed.

Got Mud?
By Nicole

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I love this little truck. It is fun to drive. I live off of a dirt road and this truck handles great on the dirt and in the snow. I love that it is enough of a truck that I can haul gardening equipment. The CD player is also better than I expected. In my last Subaru the CD player skipped all the time and the new one I have to hit something pretty hard to get it to skip. It is an overall fun truck.

Favorite Features

I love the turbo! I can pass anyone on the highway. The sound system is a great feature as well. The way that the truck sits is higher than more other Subaru's is a nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

There could be a little more leg room for the passengers, and room for storage behind the seats. The tie downs in the bed should be higher, like in larger trucks. That would make it easier to bungee various things in the back.

MY BAJA
By JoAnn Schreckengost

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab w/Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

We were trying to downsize and sold our van and Chevy S-10 for 2004 Baja. It's everything I've ever wanted in a vehicle, easy to drive. Now I can drive at night with the fog lights; every car should have them. It is NOT a car for a pack rat unless you throw all your "stuff" in the bed; very little room for tissues, glasses, all the things women want to carry, but the other EXCELLENT features far outweigh the incidentals.

Favorite Features

Fog lights, AWD, easy on gasoline, four door truck, easy conversion to large truck bed, CUTE!

Suggested Improvements

The back seat that folds down to allow longer things to be hauled in the bed, could maybe made a little deeper to allow for an extra storage compartment.

GET POWER SEATS
By Polishsausag

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I love everything about this vehicle except for the non power seats. If I could have any one feature over again, I would get power seats. I may try to get my hands on one from a junkyard. The bed is amazingly useful. I have used it for a ton of large objects, and the hose off ability is also great. The interior is quite stylish and the turbo definitely makes it feel like a high powered six cylinder. I am a tall guy and wanted a truck that handled like a car and got the gas mileage of a car. This vehicle is everything I wanted. My only complaint - no power seats only recline and slide back. Power seats tilt and adjust in many ways. Go for the power seats, and it will be pure fun!

Favorite Features

Interior styling, Truck bed functionality good for everything except full drywall sheets. Turbocharger makes that baby fly. AWD got me out of a bunch of snow dunes, and provides fantastic traction.

Suggested Improvements

Only offer power seats or install tilting multi-adjustable non-power ones.

Love My Toy Baja
By Victor

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Baja to replace a 98 Isuzu Pickup. This is the best trar, (truck/car - thats what my wife calls it), that I ever owned. Power everything standard. I drive about 1,000 miles a week and feel save and secure. Great on the highway and fun in town. A real head turner. Live in FL and with the bad rains, have no problem. No pull when hitting puddles. Drives true and straight. Will recommend any Subaru to anyone. Can't beat AWD.

Favorite Features

Power everything. Enough room for my family of 4 plus some. Handles great.

Suggested Improvements

A little more HP would be nice without buying the turbo.

i just love it.
By robert meydrech

Get up and go. Just perfect on the road. Every body looks at it (what is it?). I am 66 years old. and is just great for my wife and two grand kids. Is it a truck or a car? Shopping is great with this.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage.

Happy Days with My Subaru Baja
By PARA 958

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have had 3 other Subarus but this is the first Baja. Love the looks of this car, the comfort of the well designed seats, and the fuel economy (20 city, 28 hwy). Love the comments I receive from people and the ability to haul light items in the bed. The bed extender was a nice touch. Looked at the Turbo model but decided against it because of having to use premium fuel. For those who need a car to zip here and there on errands, this car meets those needs. Back seats are comfortable and up above the front. Backseat passengers love it. Wish the rear window would raise up. But other than that, no complaints about my Baja.

Favorite Features

Love the handling, easy to manuver in town traffic, easy to let back seat down, drop the back panel, and extend the bed to 7'6" with bed extender. Great radio, very tight car, and looks great, attracts great comments, and is everybit the car Subaru says it is.

Suggested Improvements

Better standard speakers as standard equipment. More choices of interior colors. Increase horse power without having to go to a turbo model.

Baja
By Bob

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased the Subaru Baja Sport for my commute to work. Although it's only been about one month since I bought the Baja it has proven to be a good choice. I am getting 28mpg. It's fun to drive and though it's no sports car it handles and accelerates good enough for me.

Suggested Improvements

Could use some more head room.

not too bad
By From Western NY

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

PRO: All wheel drive - been through two Buffalo winters and it goes anywhere. Getting 26-28 mpg in the summer. Have used the pass-trough more than expected, a lifesaver. The bed extender is handy. Glad I didn't get the turbo, don't need it in the city and gas prices. CON: The stupid engine has "major hesitation" when starting in first gear. Snow tends to pack under the front windshield wiper/hood. Opening the door in winter always causes snow to fall onto the seat. NITPICKS: Windshield glass is wavey, seat bolsters are too big - hard to get into/out of the front seat, radio sounds like the 1950's, cup holders are short and in the way. Windshield won't clear 100% on extremely cold days.

Favorite Features

AWD, compass and auto dim mirror is fantastic, bed drainholes are big, external temp is handy. I had a small pickup and found that the Baja has done a good job of replacing it, especially for ride and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Find a fix for the hesitation and get it out to the dealerships. Offer an option for a better all-season tire. Redesign the windshield wells to handle snow better - bring the top of the doors out more so snow doen't fall on the seats. Make the driver seat more comfortable.

new owner
By charles young

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am new in the Subaru area. I bought a Baja to play with. I like it very much, but it is to early to really give an experienced report. Will do that later. So far it has been what I expected.

Favorite Features

All.

Suggested Improvements

A small storage compartment in the bed for a few tools. Bungie cords, tie down ropes, gloves, etc. Not large though. 1cf maybe.