Used 2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

No more Subarus for OUR family
By disgusted

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Let's see...the transmission went out at 3,000 miles. The carpet had to be replaced because of a poorly designed mat-holder. The trim is crooked, the mileage stinks, the warranty offered by the company is not comparable with other manufacturers. Should I keep going? Oh I suggested a friend buy a Subaru as well and her review would be similar to mine...NOT TOO HOT! Together, our invoice paperwork for all the trips we've made to have items examined/repaired could reforest a small country.

Favorite Features

It LOOKS good...but looks really aren't everything.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the floor-mat holder, drivers side. Make sure the transmission is a better-designed transmission. Include a more extensive warranty with purchase, rather than charge an arm and a leg for extended warranty. Retrain the dealership in Dallas...that's a good thought.

Most Fun I Ever Had!
By Renee

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is such a great vehicle. I lusted after the Brat in the 70's but never got the chance to own one. Thirty years later when it was time to buy a new car, this new version was on my list. After test driving an Infinity G35, VW Passat, and Mitsubishi, this was my last and final choice. As soon as I got behind the wheel, I was hooked! I've had this car for 2 years now and haven't regretted purchasing it once. For a fun time, dependability, and unusual looks, check this one out. People stop me all the time and ask about it; it's different from everything else on the road. Go for the manual transmission... it's great fun!

Favorite Features

Quick pick up; unusual exterior appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Add a bit more luxury to the interior, and make the shift change a little smoother.

What a Great little Truck!
By Sacttwndude

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this crossover because I was tired of high gas prices and low mileage on my Toyota 4x4 Tacoma Crew Cab, and also the family SUV. However I was really addicted to the AWD on the Hyundai Santa Fe...which was also a wonderful car, but costly in gas and low mpg. Both truck and suv were new. So sold them both and got my first Subaru...a Baja. Definitely best choice, took it off road; no problems handled like a trooper, never got stuck. Took it on a cross country trip, perfect the whole distance, not a problem, and decent to good on the gas for a full time AWD vehicle. Definitely will consider another one, too bad Subaru will not be making them, maybe another manufacturer will start to make them.

Favorite Features

Sporty, all wheel drive, the pass through, sun roof and roll bars...it's all good!

Suggested Improvements

Brakes rotors seem to warp easily; must have an overheat or cooling issue.

Stamina plus
By SoAnn Ott

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Goes places that a regular or four wheel drive vehicle wouldn't attempt. Streamlined looks besides. This is the truck of our dreams.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive and the way she handles on the roads, paths and trails.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing to my mind, even the gas mileage is good for a turbo.

Baja Rocks
By Sparky Gump

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a former Ford Ranger owner. When gas hit $2.00 a gallon (remember that?) I knew I had to ditch my gas hungry 4x4 for a more reliable, better designed small pickup. Problem was you need 4 wheel drive on a pickup to get traction on snowy roads and 4 wheel drive trucks - even the "smaller" ones - get lousy gas mileage. One day when my wife was getting her Forester serviced I saw my perfect car/truck, the Baja. I bought one as soon as I could and I have no regrets. I've got the outside bed for hauling dirty stuff like soil, garbage and kerosene. Inside seating for four and 26 mpg overall! Subaru is foolish for not marketing these vehicles and even more stupid for ceasing production.

Favorite Features

Traction, MPG and quality.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them!