Used 2005 Subaru Baja Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Baja

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Baja Rocks
By Sparky Gump

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a former Ford Ranger owner. When gas hit $2.00 a gallon (remember that?) I knew I had to ditch my gas hungry 4x4 for a more reliable, better designed small pickup. Problem was you need 4 wheel drive on a pickup to get traction on snowy roads and 4 wheel drive trucks - even the "smaller" ones - get lousy gas mileage. One day when my wife was getting her Forester serviced I saw my perfect car/truck, the Baja. I bought one as soon as I could and I have no regrets. I've got the outside bed for hauling dirty stuff like soil, garbage and kerosene. Inside seating for four and 26 mpg overall! Subaru is foolish for not marketing these vehicles and even more stupid for ceasing production.

Favorite Features

Traction, MPG and quality.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them!

Great for the money
By Alberto

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great AWD for the money. I feel in control when the road becomes unpredictable. I'm beginning to like the exterior's styling. It's so much fun to drive, next best thing after BMW 325. Stop reading and go buy one.

Favorite Features

AWD, wheels, cabin, style ... everything.

Suggested Improvements

More torque. Then it will beat BMW 325. Plus, make it roomier for front passengers.

Happy Days with My Subaru Baja
By PARA 958

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have had 3 other Subarus but this is the first Baja. Love the looks of this car, the comfort of the well designed seats, and the fuel economy (20 city, 28 hwy). Love the comments I receive from people and the ability to haul light items in the bed. The bed extender was a nice touch. Looked at the Turbo model but decided against it because of having to use premium fuel. For those who need a car to zip here and there on errands, this car meets those needs. Back seats are comfortable and up above the front. Backseat passengers love it. Wish the rear window would raise up. But other than that, no complaints about my Baja.

Favorite Features

Love the handling, easy to manuver in town traffic, easy to let back seat down, drop the back panel, and extend the bed to 7'6" with bed extender. Great radio, very tight car, and looks great, attracts great comments, and is everybit the car Subaru says it is.

Suggested Improvements

Better standard speakers as standard equipment. More choices of interior colors. Increase horse power without having to go to a turbo model.

Baja
By Bob

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased the Subaru Baja Sport for my commute to work. Although it's only been about one month since I bought the Baja it has proven to be a good choice. I am getting 28mpg. It's fun to drive and though it's no sports car it handles and accelerates good enough for me.

Suggested Improvements

Could use some more head room.

not too bad
By From Western NY

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

PRO: All wheel drive - been through two Buffalo winters and it goes anywhere. Getting 26-28 mpg in the summer. Have used the pass-trough more than expected, a lifesaver. The bed extender is handy. Glad I didn't get the turbo, don't need it in the city and gas prices. CON: The stupid engine has "major hesitation" when starting in first gear. Snow tends to pack under the front windshield wiper/hood. Opening the door in winter always causes snow to fall onto the seat. NITPICKS: Windshield glass is wavey, seat bolsters are too big - hard to get into/out of the front seat, radio sounds like the 1950's, cup holders are short and in the way. Windshield won't clear 100% on extremely cold days.

Favorite Features

AWD, compass and auto dim mirror is fantastic, bed drainholes are big, external temp is handy. I had a small pickup and found that the Baja has done a good job of replacing it, especially for ride and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Find a fix for the hesitation and get it out to the dealerships. Offer an option for a better all-season tire. Redesign the windshield wells to handle snow better - bring the top of the doors out more so snow doen't fall on the seats. Make the driver seat more comfortable.