2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
Bummed about my Baja baby
By ellen on 12/16/08 08:47 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It was initially love @ 1st site but bloom soon faded. 1st issue, dash panels around A/C controls started peeling upon touch, never replaced. Bad experiences w/dealership caused me to go to another Subaru dlr serv. dept when brake problems began & driver window wouldn't close tightly. Was asked if car had been in accident because bolts were missing on one side @ brake apparatus. While under warranty, brakes were worked on @ least 3 times. No permanent resolution on brakes or ANY other issues I ever presented. Extended wrnty doesn't cover brakes & I'm still having problems. Told my family to have car fully inspected if accident occurs due to brake issue - and sue the pants off of Subaru!

Beach Buggy Delux
By jhk008 on 01/20/07 19:23 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As a coastal geologist, I chose this vehicle to use in post-storm beach surveys. It has yet to be stuck in the sand...has hauled all the survey equipment I ever needed (plus 6 students in the bed and three more in the cab), gets great gas mileage, and has yet to have any major (or minor) maintenance issues. Did all the scheduled maintenance on time...had new brakes put on at 40K miles...still running on the original tires at 47K miles and have tread to spare. Recently used my beach buggy to haul 2 12' 2X4s, 8 sheets of 3/4" CDX plywood, 2 square of shingles, and a roll of 30# felt...all in one trip. I've pulled trailers and boats with no problems. Great car!

LUV my Baja
By steve6153 on 12/02/06 12:25 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I live in rural NY and needed a reliable light vehicle to get me in and out of area. My Baja has performed without a hitch since my purchase and dealer support has been great. Only issue is that dealer does not provide Saturday service. I have requested such without success. It is a good thing my Baja runs and runs and runs otherwise it might be an issue. I get frequent compliments on the look of vehicle and am often asked as to my level of satisfaction. My Baja came with the Bed Extender package so the small bed has not been a problem.

No more Subarus for OUR family
By disgusted on 11/22/06 13:56 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Let's see...the transmission went out at 3,000 miles. The carpet had to be replaced because of a poorly designed mat-holder. The trim is crooked, the mileage stinks, the warranty offered by the company is not comparable with other manufacturers. Should I keep going? Oh I suggested a friend buy a Subaru as well and her review would be similar to mine...NOT TOO HOT! Together, our invoice paperwork for all the trips we've made to have items examined/repaired could reforest a small country.

What a Great little Truck!
By Sacttwndude on 10/30/06 20:45 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this crossover because I was tired of high gas prices and low mileage on my Toyota 4x4 Tacoma Crew Cab, and also the family SUV. However I was really addicted to the AWD on the Hyundai Santa Fe...which was also a wonderful car, but costly in gas and low mpg. Both truck and suv were new. So sold them both and got my first Subaru...a Baja. Definitely best choice, took it off road; no problems handled like a trooper, never got stuck. Took it on a cross country trip, perfect the whole distance, not a problem, and decent to good on the gas for a full time AWD vehicle. Definitely will consider another one, too bad Subaru will not be making them, maybe another manufacturer will start to make them.

Baja Rocks
By Sparky Gump on 07/04/06 10:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a former Ford Ranger owner. When gas hit $2.00 a gallon (remember that?) I knew I had to ditch my gas hungry 4x4 for a more reliable, better designed small pickup. Problem was you need 4 wheel drive on a pickup to get traction on snowy roads and 4 wheel drive trucks - even the "smaller" ones - get lousy gas mileage. One day when my wife was getting her Forester serviced I saw my perfect car/truck, the Baja. I bought one as soon as I could and I have no regrets. I've got the outside bed for hauling dirty stuff like soil, garbage and kerosene. Inside seating for four and 26 mpg overall! Subaru is foolish for not marketing these vehicles and even more stupid for ceasing production.

Great for the money
By Alberto on 05/23/06 21:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great AWD for the money. I feel in control when the road becomes unpredictable. I'm beginning to like the exterior's styling. It's so much fun to drive, next best thing after BMW 325. Stop reading and go buy one.

Happy Days with My Subaru Baja
By PARA 958 on 05/04/05 22:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have had 3 other Subarus but this is the first Baja. Love the looks of this car, the comfort of the well designed seats, and the fuel economy (20 city, 28 hwy). Love the comments I receive from people and the ability to haul light items in the bed. The bed extender was a nice touch. Looked at the Turbo model but decided against it because of having to use premium fuel. For those who need a car to zip here and there on errands, this car meets those needs. Back seats are comfortable and up above the front. Backseat passengers love it. Wish the rear window would raise up. But other than that, no complaints about my Baja.

Baja
By Bob on 05/01/05 06:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased the Subaru Baja Sport for my commute to work. Although it's only been about one month since I bought the Baja it has proven to be a good choice. I am getting 28mpg. It's fun to drive and though it's no sports car it handles and accelerates good enough for me.

not too bad
By From Western NY on 04/25/05 17:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

PRO: All wheel drive - been through two Buffalo winters and it goes anywhere. Getting 26-28 mpg in the summer. Have used the pass-trough more than expected, a lifesaver. The bed extender is handy. Glad I didn't get the turbo, don't need it in the city and gas prices. CON: The stupid engine has "major hesitation" when starting in first gear. Snow tends to pack under the front windshield wiper/hood. Opening the door in winter always causes snow to fall onto the seat. NITPICKS: Windshield glass is wavey, seat bolsters are too big - hard to get into/out of the front seat, radio sounds like the 1950's, cup holders are short and in the way. Windshield won't clear 100% on extremely cold days.