Used 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Our 5th Subaru
By john

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Subaru has to be building the best cars in North America. We have now owned a '92 SVX, two Outbacks, and now we have two Bajas. We were very impressed with our '05 Baja Sport, and when the '99 Outback came up for major maintenance, we traded for another '05 Baja Turbo. Wow, fast, fast, fast... gets up and moves like our 6-cyl. SVX did. Our Bajas are comfortable, affordable to drive, and never fail us. It is a shame to see Subaru making marketing errors. The Tribecca/B9 frankly is an over-priced, underperforming gas-hog that few will buy, (we test drove one) and Outbacks lack versatility. Baja was never marketed well, and no one knew they existed until they were discontinued, glad we got em.

Favorite Features

Turbo charger, bed extender, hitch pkg, great seats, paddle shifter in the turbo AT, good mileage, chrome roll bars.

Suggested Improvements

The compact spare is inconvenient, the jack stinks, is barely usable and is dangerous, I suggest buying one after-market and throwing out the factory jack, there is very limited cargo space for things like tie-downs, extra oil, road flares and coolant. Subaru missed the boat on convenience items.

My Very Favorite of Six Subaru Vehicles
By Kateri

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2005 Baja Turbo is my very favorite of the six Subarus I've owned since 1985. This vehicle handles like a charm. February dumped the most snow ever on record in my area - no challenge for my Baja! March has only just begun and I drove to work today on icy roads, safely and confidently. I don't get trapped on the interstate between those rude truck drivers...I just whiz by before they can even begin to play their "chicken" games. The rear cargo bed area proves to be very handy. I can store things out of view and locked up. I just cannot imagine owning anything but a Subaru.

Favorite Features

The turbo is my favorite feature. I never realized how much safer it is to get out of the way quickly, rather than doggedly holding steady. Another great feature is the rear view mirror. No adjusting for night and day driving is necessary. I love the look of the vehicle, too.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I did not like about my Baja was the floor mats that came with it. They were skimpy in size and low quality considering the high quality of the rest of the vehicle.

Most Fun I Ever Had!
By Renee

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is such a great vehicle. I lusted after the Brat in the 70's but never got the chance to own one. Thirty years later when it was time to buy a new car, this new version was on my list. After test driving an Infinity G35, VW Passat, and Mitsubishi, this was my last and final choice. As soon as I got behind the wheel, I was hooked! I've had this car for 2 years now and haven't regretted purchasing it once. For a fun time, dependability, and unusual looks, check this one out. People stop me all the time and ask about it; it's different from everything else on the road. Go for the manual transmission... it's great fun!

Favorite Features

Quick pick up; unusual exterior appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Add a bit more luxury to the interior, and make the shift change a little smoother.

Stamina plus
By SoAnn Ott

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Goes places that a regular or four wheel drive vehicle wouldn't attempt. Streamlined looks besides. This is the truck of our dreams.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive and the way she handles on the roads, paths and trails.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing to my mind, even the gas mileage is good for a turbo.

These are so much fun to drive
By John

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car i cant say one bad thing about it. Take one out for a drive and you will fall in love if you like the styling.

Favorite Features

I love having a bed in a car that is so much fun to drive.