Used 2005 Subaru Baja Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Baja

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Bummed about my Baja baby
By ellen

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It was initially love @ 1st site but bloom soon faded. 1st issue, dash panels around A/C controls started peeling upon touch, never replaced. Bad experiences w/dealership caused me to go to another Subaru dlr serv. dept when brake problems began & driver window wouldn't close tightly. Was asked if car had been in accident because bolts were missing on one side @ brake apparatus. While under warranty, brakes were worked on @ least 3 times. No permanent resolution on brakes or ANY other issues I ever presented. Extended wrnty doesn't cover brakes & I'm still having problems. Told my family to have car fully inspected if accident occurs due to brake issue - and sue the pants off of Subaru!

Favorite Features

Still love the driving experience and the AWD has never left me stranded in any condition.

Suggested Improvements

Treat customer better - fix problems permanently asap - don't leave customer holding the bag - this car was not cheap!

Beach Buggy Delux
By jhk008

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As a coastal geologist, I chose this vehicle to use in post-storm beach surveys. It has yet to be stuck in the sand...has hauled all the survey equipment I ever needed (plus 6 students in the bed and three more in the cab), gets great gas mileage, and has yet to have any major (or minor) maintenance issues. Did all the scheduled maintenance on time...had new brakes put on at 40K miles...still running on the original tires at 47K miles and have tread to spare. Recently used my beach buggy to haul 2 12' 2X4s, 8 sheets of 3/4" CDX plywood, 2 square of shingles, and a roll of 30# felt...all in one trip. I've pulled trailers and boats with no problems. Great car!

Favorite Features

AWD and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

More electrical (12V) connections for computers and phones as standard equipment. Add options for XM and Sirius radios.

LUV my Baja
By steve6153

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I live in rural NY and needed a reliable light vehicle to get me in and out of area. My Baja has performed without a hitch since my purchase and dealer support has been great. Only issue is that dealer does not provide Saturday service. I have requested such without success. It is a good thing my Baja runs and runs and runs otherwise it might be an issue. I get frequent compliments on the look of vehicle and am often asked as to my level of satisfaction. My Baja came with the Bed Extender package so the small bed has not been a problem.

Favorite Features

- Great mileage (23-27) - Great looks - Reasonable acceleration with regular fuel (5-speed trans) - Decent ride.

Suggested Improvements

- Electronic Trans like Outback - Heated seats like Outback - Would like bed cover and mudguards as standard.

No more Subarus for OUR family
By disgusted

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Let's see...the transmission went out at 3,000 miles. The carpet had to be replaced because of a poorly designed mat-holder. The trim is crooked, the mileage stinks, the warranty offered by the company is not comparable with other manufacturers. Should I keep going? Oh I suggested a friend buy a Subaru as well and her review would be similar to mine...NOT TOO HOT! Together, our invoice paperwork for all the trips we've made to have items examined/repaired could reforest a small country.

Favorite Features

It LOOKS good...but looks really aren't everything.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the floor-mat holder, drivers side. Make sure the transmission is a better-designed transmission. Include a more extensive warranty with purchase, rather than charge an arm and a leg for extended warranty. Retrain the dealership in Dallas...that's a good thought.

What a Great little Truck!
By Sacttwndude

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this crossover because I was tired of high gas prices and low mileage on my Toyota 4x4 Tacoma Crew Cab, and also the family SUV. However I was really addicted to the AWD on the Hyundai Santa Fe...which was also a wonderful car, but costly in gas and low mpg. Both truck and suv were new. So sold them both and got my first Subaru...a Baja. Definitely best choice, took it off road; no problems handled like a trooper, never got stuck. Took it on a cross country trip, perfect the whole distance, not a problem, and decent to good on the gas for a full time AWD vehicle. Definitely will consider another one, too bad Subaru will not be making them, maybe another manufacturer will start to make them.

Favorite Features

Sporty, all wheel drive, the pass through, sun roof and roll bars...it's all good!

Suggested Improvements

Brakes rotors seem to warp easily; must have an overheat or cooling issue.