2005 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
Worse Car I ever owned
By bearbryant1 on 03/14/13 15:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

this has to be the worse car i ever owned. and would never purchase another Subaru ever again and would suggest that you never purchase one you would save more money on repairs if you got a mercies Benz or a BMW cause it will cost the same to repair.

so far....REALLY FUN!!
By evillabrat69 on 08/09/11 05:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car 2 months ago with 87k on it, and have been loving it!! with a 50 mile commute each way to work, its quiet & very comfortable. i've done some light off-roading and have no complaints. my fiancee prefers to take the subie when ever we go anywhere together. no complaints on the 25 mpg. off line acceleration could be better, and the steering column could be a little longer (im tall and have to reach a bit) Overall it beats the pants off the 2001 neon i traded in on it!!! so far this is the best looking, 2nd best performing (1998 pontiac grand prix gt was faster) i have owned. I really love this vehicle!

Perfect match for my active lifestyle
By Mike Custodio on 08/08/10 10:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought my turbo baja with 56k on it, and racked up 10k in 6 months. While there is both positive and negative attitude about it, the turbo baja matches my lifestyle perfectly. It excels in Back country roads, carrying kayak, mtn bikes, and occasional landscaping items. Performance and handling excel that of a true truck. I love trucks, but I love my baja better. Downsides: Get the Bed ext. Turbo lag and reluctant downshifts sap power. But once you get going, your gone. Frequent oil changes: every 3,000 miles for turbos. My ABS unit somehow decided to fail. It will cost $1200 to replace, dealership unsure what caused the failure. Otherwise, this subie matches my lifestyle and driving habits

excellent work truck
By FL inspectors on 08/04/10 12:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

290,000 miles in 5.5 yrs. 90% of the time with a generator and tools in the back. Minimal maintenance, record of 220,000 miles before 1st belt change. AWD with FL rain, wonderful! 24 mpg with full load. Very satisfied. A little worried about inevitable future maintenance due to mileage.

JUST got it paid for :( !
By SManning on 11/17/09 15:14 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I have mixed feeling about my Suby. I have had a few problems but nothing prepared me for this: at 71K, I'm replacing the turbo!! JOY! To the tune of $1800. This despite babying it with regular maintenance. I am thoroughly disgusted that the first foreign car I've bought in years is less dependable than my Jeeps and Durangos. I purchased this car for its reliability and planned to drive it 200K. What a rip!

Bummed about my Baja baby
By ellen on 12/16/08 08:47 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It was initially love @ 1st site but bloom soon faded. 1st issue, dash panels around A/C controls started peeling upon touch, never replaced. Bad experiences w/dealership caused me to go to another Subaru dlr serv. dept when brake problems began & driver window wouldn't close tightly. Was asked if car had been in accident because bolts were missing on one side @ brake apparatus. While under warranty, brakes were worked on @ least 3 times. No permanent resolution on brakes or ANY other issues I ever presented. Extended wrnty doesn't cover brakes & I'm still having problems. Told my family to have car fully inspected if accident occurs due to brake issue - and sue the pants off of Subaru!

Our 5th Subaru
By john on 08/05/08 09:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Subaru has to be building the best cars in North America. We have now owned a '92 SVX, two Outbacks, and now we have two Bajas. We were very impressed with our '05 Baja Sport, and when the '99 Outback came up for major maintenance, we traded for another '05 Baja Turbo. Wow, fast, fast, fast... gets up and moves like our 6-cyl. SVX did. Our Bajas are comfortable, affordable to drive, and never fail us. It is a shame to see Subaru making marketing errors. The Tribecca/B9 frankly is an over-priced, underperforming gas-hog that few will buy, (we test drove one) and Outbacks lack versatility. Baja was never marketed well, and no one knew they existed until they were discontinued, glad we got em.

My Very Favorite of Six Subaru Vehicles
By Kateri on 03/02/07 05:09 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2005 Baja Turbo is my very favorite of the six Subarus I've owned since 1985. This vehicle handles like a charm. February dumped the most snow ever on record in my area - no challenge for my Baja! March has only just begun and I drove to work today on icy roads, safely and confidently. I don't get trapped on the interstate between those rude truck drivers...I just whiz by before they can even begin to play their "chicken" games. The rear cargo bed area proves to be very handy. I can store things out of view and locked up. I just cannot imagine owning anything but a Subaru.

Beach Buggy Delux
By jhk008 on 01/20/07 19:23 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As a coastal geologist, I chose this vehicle to use in post-storm beach surveys. It has yet to be stuck in the sand...has hauled all the survey equipment I ever needed (plus 6 students in the bed and three more in the cab), gets great gas mileage, and has yet to have any major (or minor) maintenance issues. Did all the scheduled maintenance on time...had new brakes put on at 40K miles...still running on the original tires at 47K miles and have tread to spare. Recently used my beach buggy to haul 2 12' 2X4s, 8 sheets of 3/4" CDX plywood, 2 square of shingles, and a roll of 30# felt...all in one trip. I've pulled trailers and boats with no problems. Great car!

LUV my Baja
By steve6153 on 12/02/06 12:25 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I live in rural NY and needed a reliable light vehicle to get me in and out of area. My Baja has performed without a hitch since my purchase and dealer support has been great. Only issue is that dealer does not provide Saturday service. I have requested such without success. It is a good thing my Baja runs and runs and runs otherwise it might be an issue. I get frequent compliments on the look of vehicle and am often asked as to my level of satisfaction. My Baja came with the Bed Extender package so the small bed has not been a problem.