2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
Super Subaru
By RDC913 on 04/04/10 15:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I just got my BAJA Turbo and I love it. All my friends and even my wife have been against the BAJA because of its looks. Personally I love the way it looks. I have never been one to let anyone influence my decisions. That's why it's parked in my driveway now. So far I am very pleased with it and I'm very glad I got the Turbo. It's very powerful and the functional hood scoop looks awesome!! The interior is simple but I sold my BMW 325 convertible to get one of these so it's a slight adjustment. I snowboard and wanted a vehicle that would do well in the snow. The reviews from other BAJA owners sold me. I can't wait to use it this coming winter. I wish these would come back into production.

4 years and still my favorite
By Maggie on 04/21/08 11:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 2 years old it crept stealthily out of a field that had become a mud bog that big 4x4's were being winched from after a substanital rainstorm. I couldn't believe it! I was the only vehicle to get out without assistance! Had minor 1st gear stalling problem that required a switch replacement this year, but no other problems in 4 years!

So far so good
By derek on 04/13/08 07:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After doing much research, and based on my needs, I decided to purchase a used Baja. Finding one in Pittsburgh, it was a 5 speed turbo, and I can say thus far that I am very happy with it. I do a lot of driving and the Baja is a very enjoyable ride, from the power. The sport like handling and feel, then mix in the versatility of the pick up bed, plus its good and/or unusual look, I am very satisfied so far. Then add in Subaru safety and reliability, I guess you can say I am now a convert. I picked up a bed cover, a bike hitch carrier, plus a few other accessories, and am good to go.

Subaru Baja
By fyr1 on 11/25/06 10:39 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great utility truck, only complaint is mileage dives 30% when towing 2000 lbs. It really could have used an extra speed in the automatic which would of made it more economical. At 70mph the engine is revving 3000 rpm. For a daily commuter and utility truck it is great more comfortable and economical than the Ford Ranger I traded in.

Nightmare..
By itsme0729 on 05/12/06 18:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At miles 6729, the transmission burnt. Subaru will not install a new one. Forced me to accept a re-built transmission. The re-built transmission after 500 miles went bad also. It started locking up in reverse gear and when driving around the corners. The service department would not pay attention until I left the car at the dealership and threatened to sue under the Lemon Act. They finally called in the Subaru technical rep who offered to replace it with a new transmission if I was going to keep the car. I said, yes, got the new transmission and then traded it for a new 2005 Turbo model in April 2005. The transmission on Baja is very poorly designed. It's very noisy to drive.

Outstanding
By BMoon73 on 04/17/06 16:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Before buying this vehicle, I was buying a new vehicle every year. I've finally found a vehicle that meets all of my needs, and is durable and reliable!

Great Fun and works great
By CJoffe on 05/29/05 18:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Turbo Baja is the all time sleeper. This car is fast as well as being tough. After a year we still love every minute of driving this vehicle. What people never realize until AFTER they own it is just how great the handling and ride are. With the exception of front legroom, the interior cabin size is great, with plenty of passenger space. The folding rear seats are very handy.

Awesome Car
By Person on 03/07/05 10:11 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Awesome car. This car goes anywhere off-road. Good amount of room. Everything is awesome!

ONE of a Kind
By Mike Wilhelmson on 08/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving my baja. Great build quality. Many upgrades available for aftermarket tuners.

best deal I have had
By Macster on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very comvertable ride. good pickup on inclines. good gas milage, I averaged 25.6 MPG over a one year period. I drive an average of 100 miles aday 7 days a week. I have had it for 16 months (480 days) I have 47,762 miles on it now. This was the first subaru I have owned , certianly not the last. There are two drawbacks that I have found 1)is that there is wind noise once you get up over 65 MPH. I have had the dealer deal with it on several visits, every time they fix it every time it comes back. 2) it is hard to see when you backing up.