Used 2004 Subaru Baja Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Super Subaru
By RDC913

2004 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I just got my BAJA Turbo and I love it. All my friends and even my wife have been against the BAJA because of its looks. Personally I love the way it looks. I have never been one to let anyone influence my decisions. That's why it's parked in my driveway now. So far I am very pleased with it and I'm very glad I got the Turbo. It's very powerful and the functional hood scoop looks awesome!! The interior is simple but I sold my BMW 325 convertible to get one of these so it's a slight adjustment. I snowboard and wanted a vehicle that would do well in the snow. The reviews from other BAJA owners sold me. I can't wait to use it this coming winter. I wish these would come back into production.

The Turbo (function and look), AWD, Short Bed, Handling.

The interior is very simple and the seats are not very comfortable. I would recommend that you only get leather with power and heated seats. I wish the back window had a slid or roll down option. It would give a fun open air fell. Perfect for a vehicle like this. Subaru, make this truck again!

4 years and still my favorite
By Maggie

2004 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 2 years old it crept stealthily out of a field that had become a mud bog that big 4x4's were being winched from after a substanital rainstorm. I couldn't believe it! I was the only vehicle to get out without assistance! Had minor 1st gear stalling problem that required a switch replacement this year, but no other problems in 4 years!

Versatile! Can take the whole family out one day and haul mulch the next! Last year maxxed out the 1000 pound hauling and did well during a short drive. Very agile on the highway!

Subaru no longer makes these, but It would have been nice to have the bed extender as standard.

So far so good
By derek

2004 Subaru Baja Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After doing much research, and based on my needs, I decided to purchase a used Baja. Finding one in Pittsburgh, it was a 5 speed turbo, and I can say thus far that I am very happy with it. I do a lot of driving and the Baja is a very enjoyable ride, from the power. The sport like handling and feel, then mix in the versatility of the pick up bed, plus its good and/or unusual look, I am very satisfied so far. Then add in Subaru safety and reliability, I guess you can say I am now a convert. I picked up a bed cover, a bike hitch carrier, plus a few other accessories, and am good to go.

5 speed, turbo engine, truck bed, ride quality and sportiness.

None really.

Subaru Baja
By fyr1

2004 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great utility truck, only complaint is mileage dives 30% when towing 2000 lbs. It really could have used an extra speed in the automatic which would of made it more economical. At 70mph the engine is revving 3000 rpm. For a daily commuter and utility truck it is great more comfortable and economical than the Ford Ranger I traded in.

The cabin sits 4 people comfortably and you still have the open bed which accommodates more of anything than the Outback with roof in the way.

6 speed transmission, full opening through the back seat and fold down front passenger seat for even more utility space.

Nightmare..
By itsme0729

2004 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At miles 6729, the transmission burnt. Subaru will not install a new one. Forced me to accept a re-built transmission. The re-built transmission after 500 miles went bad also. It started locking up in reverse gear and when driving around the corners. The service department would not pay attention until I left the car at the dealership and threatened to sue under the Lemon Act. They finally called in the Subaru technical rep who offered to replace it with a new transmission if I was going to keep the car. I said, yes, got the new transmission and then traded it for a new 2005 Turbo model in April 2005. The transmission on Baja is very poorly designed. It's very noisy to drive.

All wheel drive is very responsive and pleasure to drive except the transmission problems.

If Subaru wants to continue manufacturing it, they must improve the transmission. Interior needs better insulation to cut-out outside noise. Gear shift needs improvement. It gets into easily into 3rd gear instead of Drive if you are not paying attention.