2003 Subaru Baja Consumer Review: I wish I had your Baja :(

2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Review

Sport Crew Cab Pickup (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual 3.5 ft. Bed)

I wish I had your Baja :(
By kch5 on

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

90k miles M/T. If only the engine reliability was as great as the ride. Consistent 1Qt oil consumed per 1k miles driven since got at 60k (and I'm assured by Subaru this is normal and not to worry about it, just fill it up every third gas fill up, no problem). Both head gaskets just blew, along with failed battery and failed water thermostat. To repair all problems, we're talking new battery, head gaskets, thermostat, new piston rings or short block replacement=$5500 at dealer (about equal to trade in value), which means good-bye or home rebuild. Heartbroken trying to find a non-Subaru manual AWD replacement.

I am the epitome of who this car was designed for; surf, bike, snowboard weekly depending on season. Holds up great pushing to limits in snow (over the hood deep in fluff), muddy fields, dirt backroads, icy highways and beaches. Drives like a car, function of a truck. Did a house move with it, including a piano. I love its abilities. 28mpg average.

Better head gaskets (there have been official recalls on earlier different models for same problem at Subaru, Baja not included). Hold your oil and be shameful for inability to hold your liquid. Put back into production.