2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
Not Just for Fishing
By JohnnyKay on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the Baja as a third car for hauling fishing gear from the shore house to the marina in Cape May. But with the wild winter in the NE, I had lots of experience driving in the snow, rain, and ice. Now, I'm hooked - thinking of using it year round. Love the AWD. Bargained for the vinyl bed cover, and glad I did. Great looks, handling, and fun to drive. Great deals.

Steve's Review
By hazzardwarning on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love to drive this car. So far I have not had any problems with it. I went from a dodge ram with a 360 engine to this, so I can really tell the difference in fuel useage. It does lack a lot of get up and go though (though it is not bad for a 4 cyl). I would like to see a 6 cyl or the higher performance 4 (such as the WRX). Though I know that there is no possiblity of this, I would also like to see a special edition STI version of the BAJA (such as the WRX STI). If I had it to do over again, I would have made the same decision in purchasing this vehicle.

Ultimate Compromise
By jackmanjac on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great compromise. Fits in my garage. Better to commute 30 miles one-way in than a truck. Carries 99.9% of everything that I need. Handles great, and rides great too. It is a little low on power at low RPM's, but the 5- speed makes it liveable. It is also geared a little short. 85 MPH is almost 4000 RPM's.

Take a chance!
By Peter Troost on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have been very happy with my Baja, but fair warning -- people either love it or hate it. The pickup bed is great for hauling garbage to the dump or throwing in the hockey bag. One drawback, however, is that you can't really drive with the passthrough open in the winter because it's cold! The only way to carry long items such as skis in the winter is on the roof. The stereo is garbage. Finally, mine has had a squeak in the back seat somewhere that has been very hard for the dealer to locate and is very annoying. Be sure to test drive the actual car you are going to buy.

Weird to look at...but I'm on the inside
By GlennH on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have to admit that I haven't quite decided whether this car/truck is attractive or just goofy looking. But driving it is a kick! Sure it could use a little more power (but I hear Subaru is addressing that in 04 by adding turbo.) But this vehicle drives well...handling is good, interior comfort great and otherwise a well thought out, very versatile car/truck thing. I don't REALLY need a pickup - I learned this lesson from owning a Ranger and a Toyota Pickup previously, but I can't quite come to terms with owning a "family car." The Baja walks the line. So, if you're anything like me, this may be the vehicle for you (and god bless you!)

i like my baja
By Baja duck on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It was really out of our price range at the time. But after having test drove the manual we were hooked. It has a unique styling all it's own, handles great, is fun to drive, and comes standard w/ leather, sunroof etc. very nice car. Very nice dealership.

Subaru reliability?
By bratissimo on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The first time it rained the sunroof leaked and had to be replaced. I had it in 3 times for running rough and dying on start up. The dealer said "Subaru's are quirky" After 5 months of running poorly check engine light came on, and it was towed to the nearest dealership who found a defective MAP sensor and fouled plug wire. 7 days later it was back on a tow truck in a different state wit the same problem. I spent my vacation getting my car fixed and NOT skiing. I have a 23 year old subaru that is a better car than this. What happened to Subaru's legendary quality?

Listen To The Owners
By subguy on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Went looking on a whim. Surprised at how large and rugged this vehicle was. Drives great, tight. Interior reminds me of BMW (in a good way). Went with the all silver design. Looks sharp. Sub. does a disservice by using the yellow and silver with those mickey mouse spot lights as its "show" car. In monochrome, this car would appeal to much wider audience. You'll especially love this vehicle if your used to driving alone or with only a front seat passenger. That way, you can use the folded down rear seat area as your "trunk" (the tinted rear windows serves well to hide valuables) and the flat bed for the occasional cargo haul.

Baja is Brava!
By OnlineJimK on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

A great car/truck! Very good mileage + utility + car comfort. If you need more truck than car, try the Nissan Frontier, but if you need some truck, but more car, than this is the vehicle for you! Also, the Baja rules on New England's ice and snow covered roads. 5 stars!

Japanese made had better quality
By illanrob on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My third Subaru a Baja auto has atrocious piston slap after 2kmi. Serviced twice to resolve the loud engine tapping noise during the first 7 min of driving: the timing belt tensioner was replaced 1st, adjusted a 2nd visit. Neither repair worked. Another Subaru dealer mechanic says engine is not normal it needs further investigation. Area Rep Ed Luksic (Georgia Alabama), came drove it and says that it is normal, not a problem, they all have the same condition, his own Baja does the same thing, should last 130kmi or so. The area Rep would have some concern if I can prove that only ONE cyl is causing the problem. Otherwise NO!