Used 2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Most versatile daily driver yet!
By yellowblaze

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

From off road trails to long road trips to trips to the home improvement store, our Baja has proven itself to be the best bang for the buck out there. In less than 12 months it's gone from 2,800 miles at purchase to over 22,000 miles currently. It's brought home siding, landscaping, parts for another car. It took a Mustang hood from NY to FL in March - it fit right into the bed. It did great on that trip as far as gas mileage, comfort and driveability. It's gone down countless "seasonal use highways" - which range from dirt roads to little more than two ruts in the dirt - and handled them with ease (although more ground clearance would be nice). All around, this is the best truck out there!

-switchback system combined with the bed extender -we brought home siding no problem using both features -the looks; it's unique -power moonroof -drainage built into the bed back; great for a quick hose down -lots of storage places -flip down license plate in bed.

-Base it on the new Legacy, instead of discontinuing it! -make some features available outside of a package, like the heated seats, sport shift & hard tonneau -improve the current soft tonneau -bring back yellow as a color option -offer the "severe weather" package in the US.

Still disappointed after 2 years
By Disappointed in De

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

From the day, I drove it off the lot, it has had squeaks. I have had it in four times and the dealer has never been able to make any improvements. Driver's area is cramped.

It really is convenient for hauling most normal household stuff for folks who need a back seat, want car amenities, but yet don't want big truck.

Steering wheel should tilt up for easier entry/exit. Arrange door so EVERYTHING doesn't get wet in the rain. Make dealers more accountable; I like the cars (my 3rd and last Subaru), but both area dealers are light on service skills and follow-up!

Excellent Vehicle!
By jdaniel

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted a crew cab truck. After much research I decided on the Baja because EVERYTHING about it is better than a truck other than the smaller bed. Like the majority of people who own a truck, the bed is not used for work but rather for weekend purchases, garage sales, and trips to the home improvement stores. The Baja does just fine, gets better gas mileage, and as a used vehicle, it is a superb value. This vehicle handles like a sports car, came standard with leather, auto, power everything including sunroof; and it comes with an AWD system and engine that have been time tested and proved reliable.

Overall package, utility and value. I considered several other trucks, but for the price, I would be getting a basic 2WD Crew Cab rather than the loaded AWD Baja. I like the fact that it turns heads, though I know while many think it is cool, other probably think, "What the heck is that?"

Update styling to match new Outbacks (or Foresters?), and maybe seat three in the rear seat (though personally I have not had use for more than four seats). I love the new colors offered with the 2005 models.

Awesome
By ATLMIKIE

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Baja for almost 2 years I still love driving it. It still turns heads and gets compliments. I have had more people sit in it and ask about features than any other vehicle I have owned. I have a small pop up camper which the Baja pulls with no problems. I love the ride.

The style and the look, UNIQUE.

Front door windows don't seem to be as air tight as I would like; they are noisy on highway.

Buy Only If You Plan To Keep It!
By TURBO9956

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Squeaks and rattles seem to be the norm. My automatic transmission has never shifted right - it's slow to do everything (my dealer says it's normal). The engine clicks and rattles - again, "normal". So, I decide that I will trade it -nope. I almost passed out when I received my offer. Tried to sell it, nobody wants it. I received a "guaranteed trade value" from Subaru HA! they don't even want it back. The back seat is a joke.

AWD, great gas mileage, looks cool.

Affordable service, more power, better build quality. This is my last Subaru.