Used 2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Buy Only If You Plan To Keep It!
By TURBO9956

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Squeaks and rattles seem to be the norm. My automatic transmission has never shifted right - it's slow to do everything (my dealer says it's normal). The engine clicks and rattles - again, "normal". So, I decide that I will trade it -nope. I almost passed out when I received my offer. Tried to sell it, nobody wants it. I received a "guaranteed trade value" from Subaru HA! they don't even want it back. The back seat is a joke.

Favorite Features

AWD, great gas mileage, looks cool.

Suggested Improvements

Affordable service, more power, better build quality. This is my last Subaru.

My Mom Loves my car
By Donna

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Mom and Dad says it is the best riding truck. Everyone is suprised the first time they ride in it. Itdoesn't ride like a truck at all and the gas mileage is great. People are always asking what kind of vehicle it is. It is the perfect vehicle for someone like me that needs a truck sometimes and a car at other times.

Favorite Features

Sporty look, roomy interior, just the way it makes heads turn.

Suggested Improvements

More power and a way to keep the door pings from marring the silver. I just hate it when people do not pay attention and ping my car!

Fun car, turns heads
By Thomas

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For a young single homeowner living in Minnesota, there isn't a better car in the world! It turns heads, it hauls lumber home and most furniture, and it seats four confortably. Rear passengers will complain about leg room. All wheel drive makes the car a lot of fun to drive on dry pavement, and easy to handle on ice and snow. Everything inthe truck feels solid - the doors, the tailgate, interior parts. However, I docked my truck a few points for reliability because I am having problems with clutch judder. Would like more power but with a stick it's acceptable.

Favorite Features

Styling - I love getting complimented on my truck!

Suggested Improvements

Extra power points inside, H-6 engine, Optional tonneau cover should be made easier to remove - fixed rear deck of toneau cover cuts into already limited hauling space. Shudder-free clutch. Sport lights should be made to fold down without the use of tools.

whatever
By import NO-WAY

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best multi-purpose vehicle out there. Wife and kids love the open bed. Car comfort and truly a road hugging machine. Sporty and nimble

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive is true to it word. Fuel economy excellent.

Suggested Improvements

H-6 for a little more power.

Swiss Army Knife of vehicles
By D J Smith

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Baja for about 5 months, so far it has been perfect, no problems at all. I have the non-Turbo four cylinder which I am very happy with. The gas mileage is better than I expected, acceleration is fine. The best feature of the Baja is it's versatility. True, it doesn't have a full-size pick-up bed but with the extender I haven't missed that. I really like the fact that I can move my kids home from college, have the bed packed full, and still have room for 4 people. Intially I didn't like the two-tone color scheme (red and silver) but now that I have had it for awhile I love it.

Favorite Features

The ride, the handling, the seats, all- wheel drive system, flexible pick-up bed.

Suggested Improvements

The back seat should seat three, instead of two people. Initally I was unhappy that Subaru didn't offer a locking bed cover but now they offer two: a fiberglass version and a padded vinyl version. I recently purchased the padded vinyl version, it seems fine.