2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
New Owner
By cirerrek on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had a pickup and hated how it handled. The Baja Classic has the pickup bed and handles well. An excellent compromise, IMO. The bed is on the small size, true, but I actually like that because it means items are within easy reach. I test drove both a stick and auto, liked the auto better, very smooth and it doesn't transfer engine vibration through the steering wheel and shifter like the manual. Gas mileage is a bit on the low side, but it has a big tank and uses regular gas. The cruise stalk behind the steering wheel takes a bit of getting used to. After a couple of weeks of ownership, I am quite pleased with the vehicle.

Bought 2 Baha's one Red and one Yellow
By MikeandIan on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Brought home the Baha's (2 ), each one had a problem a bad shimmy when you applied the brakes , had to have the rotors cut to stop it . Not a major problem but one that I should have not had to deal with. The power is lacking , something we did not think of when we test drove the car because we did not want to redline it new .needs more power .We still love the cars . we own six Subarus along withthe 2003BahaRed,2003Baha Yellow .As you can see we are a Subaru family .But Love our Bahas, but the Baha could use more power .

great car - truck
By sweet p on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

it's the perfect vehicle for families on the go . great style, great performance, great interior , used to own a jeep but i now love my baja .

Zyg's Baja
By Zygmund on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Baja's ability to be a car and truck at the same time is great. I live 5 miles the pave road and its AWD drive and great gas milkeage(27mg avg) makes it fun to drive.

New baja owner
By dhart on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the Baja base model for about a week now. I sold an Explorer Sport Trac. I wanted something a bit smaller, better mileage and quieter on the road. The Baja is all of this. I think it is great. It is very quiet and smooth at highway speeds. It is much less work to drive than the Sport Trac. It is not a powerhouse, but I did not want one. I will drive this till it drops.

Full time car, part time truck
By c0yote on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a truck, but with my 2 yr old son, was limited to a few models to choose from that had a full back seat. I didn?t need a whole lotta truck, just for the occasional trip to Home Depot, etc. So, other than having some kind of truck bed, I was more concerned with the day-to-day items (handling, fuel mileage, comfort, reliability, safety). The Baja is the only truck that excels in all of these items. Yes, I know I can?t haul 4x8 sheets of plywood, but that?s what borrowing / renting full-size trucks are for. Why buy a truck that you?ll fully use one day a year, I?d rather drive one that fits my needs for those other 364 days a year.

Drive it, you'll like it!
By heidiincolorado on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was initially looking at the Outback and I decided to give the Baja a test drive. What a hoot!! I drive the mountain roads outside Denver to work everyday and this car is fast, fun and is really tight in turns. I've gotten used to its unique styling and I love the fact that not many people have these right now! We got an awesome deal and we shop Home Depot alot so it's very useful and practical! Besides, my husband likes the "truck" look better so he could drive it too. This is my first Subaru and I am very happy! I love driving this car. Drive it, you'll like it too I'm sure! And I love the yellow, it's bright, fun and of course, easy to always find!

Great for grownups too
By EyeDoc on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in my Wrangler to get better security and utility while keeping the ability to get up the mountain to work in winter. It carries 4 large bales of hay for the horse. The "switchback" opening (covered by a cargo net) gives our dogs plenty of air while letting them ride inside. Plus, with just over 10,000 miles I get 30mpg. No problems and no regrets.

Subaru Baja (car or truck?)
By StevenB on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

All Wheel Drive,Great Fuel Economy (25mpg),Subaru Reliability, quiet and comfortable ride, and an open trunk that can carry items that are extra tall. I looked at otherpick-ups but the fuel economy is not that good, especially with 4wd. When I looked at the Baja and test drove it my mind was made up and bought it. If you don't really need a truck and use it the way it really was intended for and a car or station wagon is not as versitile. Then the size of the Baja and what it is capable of doing should be what your your looking for.

Love the Baja!
By ndentel on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a great vehicle! Have had it for 3 months and love it. The bed is way more functional than it appears at first, especially with the bed extender. We can easily take scuba gear, ball gear, bikes, kayaks, and skis wherever we want to go without using huge amounts of gas. The interior is comfortable, feature-rich, intuitive, and stylish. There is a solid feel that is not apparent in many vehicles in its price range. The AWD is a dream and it's fun to drive. Take it from the ones who actually own and drive the Baja every day-it's a great value that should bring a smile to your face.