2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
No one seems to worry about it but me
By painshot on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 03 Baja. I have an engine knock that just won't go away. I have reported, with every trip to the dealer, and I get the same response, "We know about but there is anything to do about it. It is the way the engine is mounted." Sounds like a lot of BS to me. I also have complained about a damp musty smell, like wet towels left in the sun, and again they cannot find the problem. I plan to sell my Baja ASAP

Owner, Driver
By frontierman on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is agreat little sport UV. Great gas mileage ,excellent ride and handling. Brakes are excellent, reliability is superior to most vehicles.

Fun and Practical
By DanInSanDiego on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of fun, great for hauling my wet stuff, and good gas mileage. AWD is great for snow and mud, and the baja is an excellent daily driver. Lots of compliments from random people when they see it.

03 baja
By daskmjeg on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first reaction to the Baja as "get a real truck...one that you can acutally do something with". I ended up looking at this vehicle by accident. Once I was how versitile it was, I fell in love with it. The switchback is great to get lumber and such in the vehicle. With the bed extender and the tailgate that supports 700 lbs., there is little I can't do with it! The subaru awd system is incredible. the baja hugs all the mountainous winding roads. The ride is smooth over bumpy roads; more so than any domestic car i have travelled it. The baja is well constructed. No squeaks or rattles. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

My Black Beauty Baja
By DanV on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Went to the dealership to test drive, fell in love! I can take street corners at 40 mph and the car will not vear! I love it! Wish that it had more power though. I get a lot of comments wherever I go. I was a little disapointed about the soft top that covers the bed. When it rains, water pools on top and it is difficult to get in the bed area without getting the bed wet, exp important since I do a lot of traveling and need dry clothes. Disapointed that no hard cover was an option. Was also disapointed that the corners of the soft cover are tearing, but is covered under the warranty.

best "car" so far!!
By zpsbob on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Needed to replace one of our company vehicles.. needed pickup function and ability to handle 4 real adults. This little guy does it all!! Not many choices in this category... Avalanche is too big/expensive/gas hog... Explorer Sport Trac is ugly as sin, thirsy also, plus didn't care for the ride. This vehicle is loaded as standard eq: power windows, locks, cruise ,tilt, air, CD, sunroof, etc. I opted for the Sprot because I didn't want the standard leather seats (personal preference) and the cloth seats are excellent on long trips!! Look hard and find one with monotone paint... they're out there...

Nice
By wfb on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For the money, this is a wonderful vehicle. My daughter can't determine if it's a car or a truck, so it became the "car/truck". This is the second Subaru we've owned and the difference between the two is amazing. They have made a lot of improvements in handling and interior sound (the Baja is a lot more quiet than our 5 year old Outback).

The Out-Brat is fun!
By Joe Miya on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After wrecking my 1999 Ranger, the Baja was on my radar, but not the major focus. After driving one, I was hooked. The Baja was a fun little car to drive. After some thought, the trade- off of a smaller cargo capacity for much better fuel mileage was worth it. The Baja gets 5-7mpg more than the 4x4 compact trucks I was looking at. Even on the Sport trim, there is a long list of standard features. Seats are comfortable enough and there is decent headroom even with the moon roof. Could use a bit more in the way of power under the hood, but the Boxer-4 is more than enough for everyday driving.

My Baja
By KathyK on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is an awesome car/truck. Fun and reliable.

great car - truck
By sweet p on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

it's the perfect vehicle for families on the go . great style, great performance, great interior , used to own a jeep but i now love my baja .