Used 2003 Subaru Baja Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Baja

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

My Baja
By ChopsJG

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car for fun and family.

Favorite Features

Versatility is fantastic!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe, just a tad bit more horsepower, but not really necessary.

Great concept, lacking execution
By Dave

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

With 40k high speed and around town (yes, Home Depot!) driving, I have fallen out of love with the Baja, but still respect it. Love the versatility and carrying capacity (quite amazing really, with some creativity). Handling at higher speeds is very good after replacement of the awful OEM tires. Fold down seats, bed extension, poke through door into bed, all great with signature AWD. With the base 2.5l, acceleration is by appointment only. Tranny seems confused and gets in its own way. Wind noise has been a consistent problem, even after service that helped, some. And at 40k this has had more "little" failures and issues than seems characteristic of Subaru.

Favorite Features

Capacity in a "car". High speed handling. AWD, fog lamps, rear bed light. Bed extender and tiedowns.

Suggested Improvements

Power! I should have waited for the turbo. Tranny gearing needs engineering help (this is not malfunctioning, just annoying). Wind noise should be addressed at multiple points. Complete redesign of front seats ... suggest a few 5-6 hour drives by the interior designers. Interior is overall merely OK.

Most versatile daily driver yet!
By yellowblaze

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

From off road trails to long road trips to trips to the home improvement store, our Baja has proven itself to be the best bang for the buck out there. In less than 12 months it's gone from 2,800 miles at purchase to over 22,000 miles currently. It's brought home siding, landscaping, parts for another car. It took a Mustang hood from NY to FL in March - it fit right into the bed. It did great on that trip as far as gas mileage, comfort and driveability. It's gone down countless "seasonal use highways" - which range from dirt roads to little more than two ruts in the dirt - and handled them with ease (although more ground clearance would be nice). All around, this is the best truck out there!

Favorite Features

-switchback system combined with the bed extender -we brought home siding no problem using both features -the looks; it's unique -power moonroof -drainage built into the bed back; great for a quick hose down -lots of storage places -flip down license plate in bed.

Suggested Improvements

-Base it on the new Legacy, instead of discontinuing it! -make some features available outside of a package, like the heated seats, sport shift & hard tonneau -improve the current soft tonneau -bring back yellow as a color option -offer the "severe weather" package in the US.

Still disappointed after 2 years
By Disappointed in De

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

From the day, I drove it off the lot, it has had squeaks. I have had it in four times and the dealer has never been able to make any improvements. Driver's area is cramped.

Favorite Features

It really is convenient for hauling most normal household stuff for folks who need a back seat, want car amenities, but yet don't want big truck.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel should tilt up for easier entry/exit. Arrange door so EVERYTHING doesn't get wet in the rain. Make dealers more accountable; I like the cars (my 3rd and last Subaru), but both area dealers are light on service skills and follow-up!

Awesome
By ATLMIKIE

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Baja for almost 2 years I still love driving it. It still turns heads and gets compliments. I have had more people sit in it and ask about features than any other vehicle I have owned. I have a small pop up camper which the Baja pulls with no problems. I love the ride.

Favorite Features

The style and the look, UNIQUE.

Suggested Improvements

Front door windows don't seem to be as air tight as I would like; they are noisy on highway.