Used 2003 Subaru Baja Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Baja

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

I love my Baja
By mcharmon

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Baja. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, but from what I hear, that will never happen. My Baja gets good gas mileage, it's sharp looking and it's really fun to drive. Mine is a 5-speed manual, and it will really get up and go. In the mountains, I lock in the cruise at the speed limit and pass everybody else on the road because they can't make it up the mountain, and I go right up as if it were level ground. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

It's sharp looking and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Advertise! You never see a Baja on the Subaru commercials, and very seldom see them on billboards or other advertisements. People don't know what they are! People have literally stopped me going down the street to ask what it is.

poor seats
By john burton

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I am pleased with my recent purchase. Seats are my biggest complaint. Poor support, and no padding for the tush. The car I purchased is having some transmission slippage. Have brought it back, and they said to keep an eye on it.

Favorite Features

Rear bed, sunroof, bed extender.

Suggested Improvements

BETTER SEATS!

Almost 3 years later, and still love it!
By NoVa Baja

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Been by far the best car/truck I have ever owned. For me there is enough power, even here in the DC area. Even 3 years later people ask about it when in parking lots. My MPG has been as low as 18 commuting city streets, with 22 commuting on combined city/hwy, and 29 hwy (a high of 31 hwy on a long flat stretch at 60mph). Looked at the Ford SporTrac, so glad that I skipped it for the Baja. A better fit for the real world IMO. Was able to handled some very rutted roads to a cabin in the Smokys very well.

Favorite Features

The pickup bed with the bed extender saved my bacon a number of times. Great MPG for what it can do. Driven sensibly, the AWD system can keep one safe from some pretty heavy weather.

Suggested Improvements

A diesel option in order to boost torque and give an added boost to the MPG's. Update it to keep with the style cues of the newer Outbacks. Advertise the Baja! It is much better than the sales numbers show.

Great All Around Vehicle
By C.Sutton

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great performance, very reliable. No work other than normal maintenance and I'm at around 40,000 miles. Love the truck bed for garden supplies, small lumber purchases. Live in a rural area and no problems with snow, ice or mud on our 1/2 mile driveway. It gets in and out just as well as my husband's full size 4WD Chevy truck.

Favorite Features

Truck bed, very, very handy.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is very snug in the backseat. With a carseat in place in back leaves room only for children or very small adults. That is my only complaint.

El Camino to Baja
By bruce nole

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a 1985 Chevrolet el Camino with over 450,000 miles, I agreed to sell it to a private party because I knew I replace it with a new Baja. No need to wait for a Turbo model to come out. Not a sports car ... not an off road 4x4 ... but I can get from place to place, good roads and bad in remarkable time. 1st set of tires 78,000 miles. Shocks replaced and clutch. Carries more then you would think it does. Smooth highway driver. Absolutely invisible on the road allowing remarkably low travel time and exceptional mileage ... 25 mpg if I am really moving and can get 30ish within 5 mph of speed limit with cruise control. Any other 4 door pickup do that? I don't think so.

Favorite Features

Seats, invisible design and silver color ... excellent engine torque over 3,000 rpm-6,000 rpm. Long lasting tires. Excellent firm steering. Top heating and air conditioning.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru gave up very early on promoting the Baja. A real disappointment. Every owner I meet is in love with theirs. Come on Subaru. Do something.