2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Consumer Reviews 2

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
Except for the AWD a poor winter car.
By PLP on 03/15/08 21:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As far as winter driving goes: the wells below the wipers collect some serious snow & ice that will hamper the wipers if you don't clear it completely. Opening the door in winter deposits a nice clump of snow on your drivers seat. The passenger side of the front windshield will not clear completely in extreme cold weather. There isn't much space between the tire and mudflaps - the tires rub against the collected snow in winter and you can feel/hear the rubbing when you turn the wheel. The roof is hard to clear of snow but if you don't completely clear it you get an avalanche of snow that almost rips your wipers after it warms up and you put the brakes on. The biggest problem is hesitation.

A great Suby
By MikeeB on 02/26/08 20:27 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A great vehicle. Has never been to the dealer since I purchased it for repairs, I do all the regular stuff to it. Carries all my stuff, tows my ATV, is very comfortable to drive. Good mileage for AWD, I average about 24 mpg, and high 20s on the highway. This is my first Subaru, and I will definitely look for another one when it is time to replace the Baja. Build quality is outstanding, with no weird noises or issues like many other cars. It is very comfortable to drive for long distances, I now have 113,000 miles on it, and will try to go for at least 300,000 before I replace it.

03 Baja
By HKF on 09/29/07 12:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Red on silver clad with graphite cloth interior. Optional bed cover and hitch. Great car, sticks to the road like velcro. Upgraded with aftermarket audio to provide handsfree bluetooth, roadnoise inerferes. Transmission has a mind of it's own, upshifts are unpredictable and downshifts let the engine revs hit the red line. The soft bed cover is more work than I expected but keeps the bed clean and mostly dry. Overall, fun to drive and really unique. Defies categorizing.

I'm loving it
By KYLE MARCRUM on 09/26/07 12:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It's quick, absorbs bumps like crazy and it turns heads. Hauling and payload are minimal but if you want that you'll buy a real truck. I camp and paintball a lot. It's perfect to just throw all the dirty stuff in back and keep your interior clean. Maintenance is simple to do. The versatility is amazing for something that looks so small. I would recommend for anybody.

Alaska Baja
By ObiJuanAK on 02/27/07 18:09 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Baja has everything I expected from this vehicle. As long as you don't expect a pickup's hauling ability and volume, it meets my requirements (hauling, commuting and all weather capability) to a T. The frigid Interior Alaska winters have not uncovered any shortcomings, other than the silly thermometer that only records down to -22 F. Fuel economy could be better, but not bad for an AWD vehicle. Good long distance comfort, not so fun on tight and twisty roads. The precision of the gearbox leave a lot to be desired. A little tight for two people in full winter gear, but in the summer it is just right. Shame Subaru decided to discontinue the Baja.

Pleased
By Zman on 12/15/06 09:54 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Works great in snow; 25 MPG; good to haul stuff with yet maintains comfort like a car. I call it combination- car and truck CRUCK.

Love the Baja
By Glenn n' Tom on 11/23/06 20:58 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We fell in love with the car/truck the 1st time we saw it @ the Philly flower show 2001.The yellow paint sticks out every where we go, yellow was our 1st choice. We love its styling, it's comfortable, it's certainly not a car you see very often...like the RAV4. The vehicle is on the louder side with the frameless windows and AWD tires. Versatility...great for Home Depot during the day and dinning @ night. We seem to do about 28 hwy/24 city non turbo. Rearward visibility could be better; the c pillars generate a huge blind spot, as well as the rear headrests are non-movable.

I love my Baja
By mcharmon on 10/22/06 18:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Baja. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, but from what I hear, that will never happen. My Baja gets good gas mileage, it's sharp looking and it's really fun to drive. Mine is a 5-speed manual, and it will really get up and go. In the mountains, I lock in the cruise at the speed limit and pass everybody else on the road because they can't make it up the mountain, and I go right up as if it were level ground. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

poor seats
By john burton on 09/19/06 05:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I am pleased with my recent purchase. Seats are my biggest complaint. Poor support, and no padding for the tush. The car I purchased is having some transmission slippage. Have brought it back, and they said to keep an eye on it.

Almost 3 years later, and still love it!
By NoVa Baja on 08/09/06 18:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Been by far the best car/truck I have ever owned. For me there is enough power, even here in the DC area. Even 3 years later people ask about it when in parking lots. My MPG has been as low as 18 commuting city streets, with 22 commuting on combined city/hwy, and 29 hwy (a high of 31 hwy on a long flat stretch at 60mph). Looked at the Ford SporTrac, so glad that I skipped it for the Baja. A better fit for the real world IMO. Was able to handled some very rutted roads to a cabin in the Smokys very well.