Used 2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

2003 Subaru Baja Sport
By doug madden

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am 6'1" and 225 lbs. I found the vehicle to be above ave. in room, ride and road noise. It performs beautifully at highway speeds and in curves, and has plenty of pep from 0- 60 mph. It hauls the 1/4 ton payload with ease and the bed extender allows for needed space to haul multiple appliances or building materials especially with the pass through design in the crew cab. It seats 4 mature adults with comfort and all controls are easy to reach for the driver. My Baja is a stick shift 5 speed and use it in my home rental business and as a toad for my motor-home. I have never owned a vehicle that I have received some many compliments and requests for information and viewings. I will own another one!

pass through of crew cab, tailgate extender and overall reliability and flexibility of usage. It is a dream to pull behind the motor home and scoot around in traffic and tight places. AWD features are wonderfully designed.

correct the blind spots between the rear window and both rear passenger windows. raise it off the ground another 2-3 inches to make it truly an off the road vehicle. Improve the turning radius.

Great vehicle to own
By Mary Colletti

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part I have had a lot of fun with this vehicle. People stop me and ask if its a car or a truck. It has had a few problems lately but for the most part it has been a reliable vehicle and I would buy a Subaru definitely again. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Body style is my favorite feature. It looks like a car with all the great features of a truck.

Since it has all wheel drive I would raise the body so it is not so low to the ground. Great for snow.

My little Baja
By Diana

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My little car has averaged 26-28 mph around town and 30-32 traveling. Today it was rear-ended by a large SUV and may well be a total loss. Fortunately the passenger cab was safe though the truck bed was left much shorter and I am fine. The disappointment is that should I have to get another vehicle, it will not be a Baja. I am very attached to my Baja. It has been the best car I have ever owned. I bought the Baja new and have driven nearly 90000 miles. I really have no complaints.

My favorite feature is the truck bed. I have amazed the folks at the garden shop when they were able to load a full yard of mulch into the back.

Excellent vehicle
By BajaMan

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as a replacement for my 1994 Jeep Wrangler in December 2002. I was attracted by the fact it was a car and a truck and it's all wheel drive. So far the only major problem was the battery went flat about a year ago for no apparent reason.

Its all wheel drive will allow it go anywhere. The bed although small has been very useful. Stereo is very good.

Plastic (inside and out) is poor quality and scratches easily. Plastic trim has faded badly. Would have been nice to have left the body cladding and steel roll bars off and made the bed a few inches wider to accommodate a piece of 4X8 sheet of plywood. Clutch is quirky.

Bought two of them
By AnbAnimal2

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In 2003 I first drove a Baja, liked it so much my son and I each bought one. This car has been a blast, from driving in a Blizzard in Vermont, to the rains of Hurricane Ivan in VA., to the north woods of Canada, the Beaches of Assateaque Island, and through the Rockies in Yellowstone for 5 months. Last year I got 35 mpg in the Rockies and up to 37 mpg on the way back to PA. It still amazes me that people still stop and look at the car. I have the differential cage added, tow package, an alpine stereo system, and a tonneau rear cover, + off Road light bar. This car is one of my favorites, both my son and I refuse to part with them. Mine is red and silver, his the yellow only produced in 2003.

Its reliability and versatility, it's been a fun car. Runs great on sand (got pulled over on the beach by the police because they did not think it was legal, it's funny that my small Baja was singled out because they had never seen a truck this small on the beach at Assateaque). Backpacker friendly.

Guess it's too late to make suggestions, since they are no longer made.