Used 2003 Subaru Baja Base Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

My little Baja
By Diana

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My little car has averaged 26-28 mph around town and 30-32 traveling. Today it was rear-ended by a large SUV and may well be a total loss. Fortunately the passenger cab was safe though the truck bed was left much shorter and I am fine. The disappointment is that should I have to get another vehicle, it will not be a Baja. I am very attached to my Baja. It has been the best car I have ever owned. I bought the Baja new and have driven nearly 90000 miles. I really have no complaints.

My favorite feature is the truck bed. I have amazed the folks at the garden shop when they were able to load a full yard of mulch into the back.

Excellent vehicle
By BajaMan

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as a replacement for my 1994 Jeep Wrangler in December 2002. I was attracted by the fact it was a car and a truck and it's all wheel drive. So far the only major problem was the battery went flat about a year ago for no apparent reason.

Its all wheel drive will allow it go anywhere. The bed although small has been very useful. Stereo is very good.

Plastic (inside and out) is poor quality and scratches easily. Plastic trim has faded badly. Would have been nice to have left the body cladding and steel roll bars off and made the bed a few inches wider to accommodate a piece of 4X8 sheet of plywood. Clutch is quirky.

Bought two of them
By AnbAnimal2

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In 2003 I first drove a Baja, liked it so much my son and I each bought one. This car has been a blast, from driving in a Blizzard in Vermont, to the rains of Hurricane Ivan in VA., to the north woods of Canada, the Beaches of Assateaque Island, and through the Rockies in Yellowstone for 5 months. Last year I got 35 mpg in the Rockies and up to 37 mpg on the way back to PA. It still amazes me that people still stop and look at the car. I have the differential cage added, tow package, an alpine stereo system, and a tonneau rear cover, + off Road light bar. This car is one of my favorites, both my son and I refuse to part with them. Mine is red and silver, his the yellow only produced in 2003.

Its reliability and versatility, it's been a fun car. Runs great on sand (got pulled over on the beach by the police because they did not think it was legal, it's funny that my small Baja was singled out because they had never seen a truck this small on the beach at Assateaque). Backpacker friendly.

Guess it's too late to make suggestions, since they are no longer made.

Great vehicle
By AZ

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best vehicle I have ever owned. 167000 miles and no troubles, do all the maintenance myself. Very easy to change oil, plugs, belts, and fuel and air filters. I have hauled a variety of things - trencher, lumber, eight 5 gallon paint buckets - very versatile vehicle. Feels like a car but has some truck utility. Get average of 27mpg. Drive 6 miles of dirt road every day and it is still holding up - all neighbors have had to replace their cars but my Subaru keeps going and going.

Versatility - I can do almost everything with this little fuel efficient car. My full size pickup sits most of the time. I love hauling big items out of the hardware store and seeing the look on people's faces when I put it into my little car (back folded down). I call it my mini Avalanche.

It is 2in short of being able to carry 8ft boards, tail gate extension should be a little longer.

4th time around
By UrABus

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 4th Subaru, my 1st was a GL- 10 loaded 5 speed w/4wh pneumatic air lift shocks 22 mpg. I bought one for each of my kids for safety and dependability, and wanted this vehicle since the BRAT hit the street. I'm glad I waited, this is better. 22 mpg. 6 mile commute. 98,000 miles runs like a top. My GL-10 could air lift 3 inches for more ground clearance. A great feature for this one. Air noise, yep, it's a truck not a limo. Shift slock between 15 and 20, yep, but it makes up it own mind. AWD yep, but I'm not so sure about reverse. Maybe that why it has the hooks on the back. Michigan snow,no problem. Gawkers, yep,it's a guy thing. Not a babe magnet. I would buy another one in a minute.

I love the cockpit. It feels like you are really in control. I'm 230 lbs + and it still fits nicely even on long trips. Like the pass through and the extender. The D-rings and bed tie down hooks are great. I have toted my BBQ grill in the back very securely. My GPS fits perfect in dash by lighter.

Air lift shocks. AWD light when in use. Less clatter when cold. Where's the spare? Three seat back. Removable head rest in back. Bun warmers in the seats Smoother shift between 2 & 3. Better surround sound. Removable back seat. Pleeze--Resume making the vehicle for sale. It's a great product.