2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
I wish I had your Baja :(
By kch5 on 12/18/10 20:27 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

90k miles M/T. If only the engine reliability was as great as the ride. Consistent 1Qt oil consumed per 1k miles driven since got at 60k (and I'm assured by Subaru this is normal and not to worry about it, just fill it up every third gas fill up, no problem). Both head gaskets just blew, along with failed battery and failed water thermostat. To repair all problems, we're talking new battery, head gaskets, thermostat, new piston rings or short block replacement=$5500 at dealer (about equal to trade in value), which means good-bye or home rebuild. Heartbroken trying to find a non-Subaru manual AWD replacement.

Great vehicle to own
By Mary Colletti on 03/08/10 17:35 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part I have had a lot of fun with this vehicle. People stop me and ask if its a car or a truck. It has had a few problems lately but for the most part it has been a reliable vehicle and I would buy a Subaru definitely again. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

What a great surprise!
By 2 Bees on 04/18/09 10:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My husband brought his Subaru down to the states from Canada 10 years ago.In South Florida it was an "oddball" to say the least. When we moved to Las Vegas it was in much better company but getting old. While in the dealership for service we watched the Baja's get unloaded, once I saw the yellow one I was hooked! Between the quality and finish I love this car. (No, it's not a truck!) What a blast dashing through the Las Vegas wash in this vehicle, great for off road adventures! I now participate in art festivals and only a minivan will out do this baby. We had a kayak carrier built we love everything about our Baja!

Love My Baja!!
By yellowblaze on 02/04/09 13:19 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we wanted to trade our gas sucking Bronco, this was the only option. Car like performance, truck like utility and unique looks combined into one. We've gotten up to 31 mpg highway and average 23-24 mixed city/suburban driving. We're looking for a new "car" now, but our only option is an 06 Baja (since sadly, Subaru discontinued these in 06). We love the Subaru AWD and reliability but won't settle for a station wagon or minivan which is all they really offer now. This was the BEST of all automotive worlds!

Love the Baja
By Glenn n' Tom on 11/23/06 20:58 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We fell in love with the car/truck the 1st time we saw it @ the Philly flower show 2001.The yellow paint sticks out every where we go, yellow was our 1st choice. We love its styling, it's comfortable, it's certainly not a car you see very often...like the RAV4. The vehicle is on the louder side with the frameless windows and AWD tires. Versatility...great for Home Depot during the day and dinning @ night. We seem to do about 28 hwy/24 city non turbo. Rearward visibility could be better; the c pillars generate a huge blind spot, as well as the rear headrests are non-movable.

I love my Baja
By mcharmon on 10/22/06 18:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Baja. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, but from what I hear, that will never happen. My Baja gets good gas mileage, it's sharp looking and it's really fun to drive. Mine is a 5-speed manual, and it will really get up and go. In the mountains, I lock in the cruise at the speed limit and pass everybody else on the road because they can't make it up the mountain, and I go right up as if it were level ground. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

poor seats
By john burton on 09/19/06 05:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I am pleased with my recent purchase. Seats are my biggest complaint. Poor support, and no padding for the tush. The car I purchased is having some transmission slippage. Have brought it back, and they said to keep an eye on it.

Almost 3 years later, and still love it!
By NoVa Baja on 08/09/06 18:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Been by far the best car/truck I have ever owned. For me there is enough power, even here in the DC area. Even 3 years later people ask about it when in parking lots. My MPG has been as low as 18 commuting city streets, with 22 commuting on combined city/hwy, and 29 hwy (a high of 31 hwy on a long flat stretch at 60mph). Looked at the Ford SporTrac, so glad that I skipped it for the Baja. A better fit for the real world IMO. Was able to handled some very rutted roads to a cabin in the Smokys very well.

Great All Around Vehicle
By C.Sutton on 02/20/06 07:44 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great performance, very reliable. No work other than normal maintenance and I'm at around 40,000 miles. Love the truck bed for garden supplies, small lumber purchases. Live in a rural area and no problems with snow, ice or mud on our 1/2 mile driveway. It gets in and out just as well as my husband's full size 4WD Chevy truck.

El Camino to Baja
By bruce nole on 02/15/06 17:48 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a 1985 Chevrolet el Camino with over 450,000 miles, I agreed to sell it to a private party because I knew I replace it with a new Baja. No need to wait for a Turbo model to come out. Not a sports car ... not an off road 4x4 ... but I can get from place to place, good roads and bad in remarkable time. 1st set of tires 78,000 miles. Shocks replaced and clutch. Carries more then you would think it does. Smooth highway driver. Absolutely invisible on the road allowing remarkably low travel time and exceptional mileage ... 25 mpg if I am really moving and can get 30ish within 5 mph of speed limit with cruise control. Any other 4 door pickup do that? I don't think so.