Used 2003 Subaru Baja Sport Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

I wish I had your Baja :(
By kch5

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

90k miles M/T. If only the engine reliability was as great as the ride. Consistent 1Qt oil consumed per 1k miles driven since got at 60k (and I'm assured by Subaru this is normal and not to worry about it, just fill it up every third gas fill up, no problem). Both head gaskets just blew, along with failed battery and failed water thermostat. To repair all problems, we're talking new battery, head gaskets, thermostat, new piston rings or short block replacement=$5500 at dealer (about equal to trade in value), which means good-bye or home rebuild. Heartbroken trying to find a non-Subaru manual AWD replacement.

I am the epitome of who this car was designed for; surf, bike, snowboard weekly depending on season. Holds up great pushing to limits in snow (over the hood deep in fluff), muddy fields, dirt backroads, icy highways and beaches. Drives like a car, function of a truck. Did a house move with it, including a piano. I love its abilities. 28mpg average.

Better head gaskets (there have been official recalls on earlier different models for same problem at Subaru, Baja not included). Hold your oil and be shameful for inability to hold your liquid. Put back into production.

Great vehicle to own
By Mary Colletti

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part I have had a lot of fun with this vehicle. People stop me and ask if its a car or a truck. It has had a few problems lately but for the most part it has been a reliable vehicle and I would buy a Subaru definitely again. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Body style is my favorite feature. It looks like a car with all the great features of a truck.

Since it has all wheel drive I would raise the body so it is not so low to the ground. Great for snow.

What a great surprise!
By 2 Bees

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My husband brought his Subaru down to the states from Canada 10 years ago.In South Florida it was an "oddball" to say the least. When we moved to Las Vegas it was in much better company but getting old. While in the dealership for service we watched the Baja's get unloaded, once I saw the yellow one I was hooked! Between the quality and finish I love this car. (No, it's not a truck!) What a blast dashing through the Las Vegas wash in this vehicle, great for off road adventures! I now participate in art festivals and only a minivan will out do this baby. We had a kayak carrier built we love everything about our Baja!

Believe it or not, the look. It's very versatile as well as comfortable for long drives.

The ONLY thing about the interior is the front seat cup holder is in the wrong place, especially if you have the standard.

Love My Baja!!
By yellowblaze

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we wanted to trade our gas sucking Bronco, this was the only option. Car like performance, truck like utility and unique looks combined into one. We've gotten up to 31 mpg highway and average 23-24 mixed city/suburban driving. We're looking for a new "car" now, but our only option is an 06 Baja (since sadly, Subaru discontinued these in 06). We love the Subaru AWD and reliability but won't settle for a station wagon or minivan which is all they really offer now. This was the BEST of all automotive worlds!

Mileage, midgate, sport activity lights, unique looks, AWD, reliability - pretty much the whole vehicle!

Build them again, based on the new outback, and offer the all weather package in the US not just Canada.

Love the Baja
By Glenn n' Tom

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We fell in love with the car/truck the 1st time we saw it @ the Philly flower show 2001.The yellow paint sticks out every where we go, yellow was our 1st choice. We love its styling, it's comfortable, it's certainly not a car you see very often...like the RAV4. The vehicle is on the louder side with the frameless windows and AWD tires. Versatility...great for Home Depot during the day and dinning @ night. We seem to do about 28 hwy/24 city non turbo. Rearward visibility could be better; the c pillars generate a huge blind spot, as well as the rear headrests are non-movable.

Switchback system great for lumber, skis and in laws. Higher than normal road clearance. Yellow. Better than average gas mileage. Efficient heating and AC. Comfortable seating. Keyless entry. Power sunroof.

Do something with the headrests, and a bit more power.