Used 2003 Subaru Baja Sport Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

Just wouldnt die
By Trent

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2003 baja which I bought at 100,000 miles. Over the next two years, I added on 60,000 miles using it as a commuter car. I bought the car with few mechanical problems, and over the long commutes and two years on an already dated car, I was rather impressed with its reliability. Over the course of those miles, the only repairs were brake pads, rotors, muffler repair, sealing an oil leak and a lower ball joint. I finally trades it in once an O2 sensor failed at 162,000 miles. All in all, pretty respectable considering it is 13 years old in the rust belt.
The bed was very useful for moving washers, dryers, beds, etcetera. I got my use out of it. I would buy another if they were still making them.

Head gaskets from hell
By Ben G. Jhump

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2003 Baja with 105,000 miles on it because of Subaru's supposed reliability. Thought it would be a good car for my college bound kid. Ran fine for 6 months then I got a misfire code that turned out to be scorched exhaust valve (Subaru uses subpar valves according to my regular mechanic, who used to work at a Subaru dealership). $4000 later (at this reputable mechanic) I had new valves, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, water pump, thermostat, throw out bearing, rear struts (yeah they went bad) and so on and so on. Within 1300 miles after the new head gaskets, started having overheating problem when I had been on the highway about 2 hours. never did it in town. never had overheating problem before all that work. took it to local Subaru dealership and their tests indicated hydrocarbons in the coolant (diagnosis: bad head gaskets), bad turn signal switch assembly. Took it back to original place and they warranted the head gaskets and throw out bearing and flush (including heater core - no blockages and no charge).
Got the car back, replaced the turn signal switch assembly and flasher relay just for kicks and ran it up our local mountain pass (highway) for about 45 minutes. Ran great no problems. 1 day later, after driving on the highway for about 2 hours on relatively flat highway, temp gauge crept up to about 3/4. Pulled off and let it cool down before overheat could occur.
Time to pull the bandaid off and kick this one to the curb.
Do yourself a favor. Avoid subarus. Known cooling problem that causes head gasket failure. If I'd only know before I bought it from that guy....

versatile communter
By Fredd

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Engine gaskets and CV boots only real issues over 12 years. I have taken it cross country (Wash to Maine), non turbo struggles up hills at higher altitudes (Idaho, Montana), gearing is great for best gas mileage @ 65 mph, drops considerably when up at 75 mph handles rain or snow with aplomb. Subaru need to update design and make a newer model within the next few years so I can buy my final BAJA

Best Car I've Owned
By John V.

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I dislike reviews of this vehicle/truck hybrid that say it is limited in functionality. If one needs to haul drywall, then get a truck. The Baja is an amazing vehicle with no problems after 12 years and 90,000 miles. It's fun to drive and looks great. I get offers to buy my car all the time, even though it is not for sale. My wife encouraged me to treat myself to a new car. I won't trade this Subaru in for even a Mercedes. I owned a business for 10+ years and this was the perfect vehicle to take the kids back and forth while hauling boxes and landscaping equipment in the back. The Baja is a collector's car. I own the yellow, which is sporty and fun. Oh yeah, other drivers can't miss seeing it.

I wish I had your Baja :(
By kch5

90k miles M/T.
If only the engine reliability was as great as the ride.
Consistent 1Qt oil consumed per 1k miles driven since got at 60k (and I'm assured by Subaru this is normal and not to worry about it, just fill it up every third gas fill up, no problem).
Both head gaskets just blew, along with failed battery and failed water thermostat.
To repair all problems, we're talking new battery, head gaskets, thermostat, new piston rings or short block replacement=$5500 at dealer (about equal to trade in value), which means good-bye or home rebuild.
Heartbroken trying to find a non-Subaru manual AWD replacement.

I am the epitome of who this car was designed for; surf, bike, snowboard weekly depending on season. Holds up great pushing to limits in snow (over the hood deep in fluff), muddy fields, dirt backroads, icy highways and beaches. Drives like a car, function of a truck. Did a house move with it, including a piano. I love its abilities. 28mpg average.

Better head gaskets (there have been official recalls on earlier different models for same problem at Subaru, Baja not included). Hold your oil and be shameful for inability to hold your liquid. Put back into production.