2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
My little Baja
By Diana on 09/19/09 17:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My little car has averaged 26-28 mph around town and 30-32 traveling. Today it was rear-ended by a large SUV and may well be a total loss. Fortunately the passenger cab was safe though the truck bed was left much shorter and I am fine. The disappointment is that should I have to get another vehicle, it will not be a Baja. I am very attached to my Baja. It has been the best car I have ever owned. I bought the Baja new and have driven nearly 90000 miles. I really have no complaints.

Excellent vehicle
By BajaMan on 07/08/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as a replacement for my 1994 Jeep Wrangler in December 2002. I was attracted by the fact it was a car and a truck and it's all wheel drive. So far the only major problem was the battery went flat about a year ago for no apparent reason.

Bought two of them
By AnbAnimal2 on 05/30/09 07:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In 2003 I first drove a Baja, liked it so much my son and I each bought one. This car has been a blast, from driving in a Blizzard in Vermont, to the rains of Hurricane Ivan in VA., to the north woods of Canada, the Beaches of Assateaque Island, and through the Rockies in Yellowstone for 5 months. Last year I got 35 mpg in the Rockies and up to 37 mpg on the way back to PA. It still amazes me that people still stop and look at the car. I have the differential cage added, tow package, an alpine stereo system, and a tonneau rear cover, + off Road light bar. This car is one of my favorites, both my son and I refuse to part with them. Mine is red and silver, his the yellow only produced in 2003.

Great vehicle
By AZ on 05/29/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best vehicle I have ever owned. 167000 miles and no troubles, do all the maintenance myself. Very easy to change oil, plugs, belts, and fuel and air filters. I have hauled a variety of things - trencher, lumber, eight 5 gallon paint buckets - very versatile vehicle. Feels like a car but has some truck utility. Get average of 27mpg. Drive 6 miles of dirt road every day and it is still holding up - all neighbors have had to replace their cars but my Subaru keeps going and going.

4th time around
By UrABus on 12/24/08 13:43 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 4th Subaru, my 1st was a GL- 10 loaded 5 speed w/4wh pneumatic air lift shocks 22 mpg. I bought one for each of my kids for safety and dependability, and wanted this vehicle since the BRAT hit the street. I'm glad I waited, this is better. 22 mpg. 6 mile commute. 98,000 miles runs like a top. My GL-10 could air lift 3 inches for more ground clearance. A great feature for this one. Air noise, yep, it's a truck not a limo. Shift slock between 15 and 20, yep, but it makes up it own mind. AWD yep, but I'm not so sure about reverse. Maybe that why it has the hooks on the back. Michigan snow,no problem. Gawkers, yep,it's a guy thing. Not a babe magnet. I would buy another one in a minute.

Except for the AWD a poor winter car.
By PLP on 03/15/08 21:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As far as winter driving goes: the wells below the wipers collect some serious snow & ice that will hamper the wipers if you don't clear it completely. Opening the door in winter deposits a nice clump of snow on your drivers seat. The passenger side of the front windshield will not clear completely in extreme cold weather. There isn't much space between the tire and mudflaps - the tires rub against the collected snow in winter and you can feel/hear the rubbing when you turn the wheel. The roof is hard to clear of snow but if you don't completely clear it you get an avalanche of snow that almost rips your wipers after it warms up and you put the brakes on. The biggest problem is hesitation.

A great Suby
By MikeeB on 02/26/08 20:27 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A great vehicle. Has never been to the dealer since I purchased it for repairs, I do all the regular stuff to it. Carries all my stuff, tows my ATV, is very comfortable to drive. Good mileage for AWD, I average about 24 mpg, and high 20s on the highway. This is my first Subaru, and I will definitely look for another one when it is time to replace the Baja. Build quality is outstanding, with no weird noises or issues like many other cars. It is very comfortable to drive for long distances, I now have 113,000 miles on it, and will try to go for at least 300,000 before I replace it.

03 Baja
By HKF on 09/29/07 12:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Red on silver clad with graphite cloth interior. Optional bed cover and hitch. Great car, sticks to the road like velcro. Upgraded with aftermarket audio to provide handsfree bluetooth, roadnoise inerferes. Transmission has a mind of it's own, upshifts are unpredictable and downshifts let the engine revs hit the red line. The soft bed cover is more work than I expected but keeps the bed clean and mostly dry. Overall, fun to drive and really unique. Defies categorizing.

I'm loving it
By KYLE MARCRUM on 09/26/07 12:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It's quick, absorbs bumps like crazy and it turns heads. Hauling and payload are minimal but if you want that you'll buy a real truck. I camp and paintball a lot. It's perfect to just throw all the dirty stuff in back and keep your interior clean. Maintenance is simple to do. The versatility is amazing for something that looks so small. I would recommend for anybody.

Alaska Baja
By ObiJuanAK on 02/27/07 18:09 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Baja has everything I expected from this vehicle. As long as you don't expect a pickup's hauling ability and volume, it meets my requirements (hauling, commuting and all weather capability) to a T. The frigid Interior Alaska winters have not uncovered any shortcomings, other than the silly thermometer that only records down to -22 F. Fuel economy could be better, but not bad for an AWD vehicle. Good long distance comfort, not so fun on tight and twisty roads. The precision of the gearbox leave a lot to be desired. A little tight for two people in full winter gear, but in the summer it is just right. Shame Subaru decided to discontinue the Baja.

1 2 3 4 5 next »