Used 2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:

I wish I had your Baja :(
By kch5

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

90k miles M/T. If only the engine reliability was as great as the ride. Consistent 1Qt oil consumed per 1k miles driven since got at 60k (and I'm assured by Subaru this is normal and not to worry about it, just fill it up every third gas fill up, no problem). Both head gaskets just blew, along with failed battery and failed water thermostat. To repair all problems, we're talking new battery, head gaskets, thermostat, new piston rings or short block replacement=$5500 at dealer (about equal to trade in value), which means good-bye or home rebuild. Heartbroken trying to find a non-Subaru manual AWD replacement.

Favorite Features

I am the epitome of who this car was designed for; surf, bike, snowboard weekly depending on season. Holds up great pushing to limits in snow (over the hood deep in fluff), muddy fields, dirt backroads, icy highways and beaches. Drives like a car, function of a truck. Did a house move with it, including a piano. I love its abilities. 28mpg average.

Suggested Improvements

Better head gaskets (there have been official recalls on earlier different models for same problem at Subaru, Baja not included). Hold your oil and be shameful for inability to hold your liquid. Put back into production.

2003 Subaru Baja Sport
By doug madden

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am 6'1" and 225 lbs. I found the vehicle to be above ave. in room, ride and road noise. It performs beautifully at highway speeds and in curves, and has plenty of pep from 0- 60 mph. It hauls the 1/4 ton payload with ease and the bed extender allows for needed space to haul multiple appliances or building materials especially with the pass through design in the crew cab. It seats 4 mature adults with comfort and all controls are easy to reach for the driver. My Baja is a stick shift 5 speed and use it in my home rental business and as a toad for my motor-home. I have never owned a vehicle that I have received some many compliments and requests for information and viewings. I will own another one!

Favorite Features

pass through of crew cab, tailgate extender and overall reliability and flexibility of usage. It is a dream to pull behind the motor home and scoot around in traffic and tight places. AWD features are wonderfully designed.

Suggested Improvements

correct the blind spots between the rear window and both rear passenger windows. raise it off the ground another 2-3 inches to make it truly an off the road vehicle. Improve the turning radius.

Great vehicle to own
By Mary Colletti

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part I have had a lot of fun with this vehicle. People stop me and ask if its a car or a truck. It has had a few problems lately but for the most part it has been a reliable vehicle and I would buy a Subaru definitely again. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Favorite Features

Body style is my favorite feature. It looks like a car with all the great features of a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Since it has all wheel drive I would raise the body so it is not so low to the ground. Great for snow.

My little Baja
By Diana

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My little car has averaged 26-28 mph around town and 30-32 traveling. Today it was rear-ended by a large SUV and may well be a total loss. Fortunately the passenger cab was safe though the truck bed was left much shorter and I am fine. The disappointment is that should I have to get another vehicle, it will not be a Baja. I am very attached to my Baja. It has been the best car I have ever owned. I bought the Baja new and have driven nearly 90000 miles. I really have no complaints.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the truck bed. I have amazed the folks at the garden shop when they were able to load a full yard of mulch into the back.

Excellent vehicle
By BajaMan

2003 Subaru Baja Crew Cab AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as a replacement for my 1994 Jeep Wrangler in December 2002. I was attracted by the fact it was a car and a truck and it's all wheel drive. So far the only major problem was the battery went flat about a year ago for no apparent reason.

Favorite Features

Its all wheel drive will allow it go anywhere. The bed although small has been very useful. Stereo is very good.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic (inside and out) is poor quality and scratches easily. Plastic trim has faded badly. Would have been nice to have left the body cladding and steel roll bars off and made the bed a few inches wider to accommodate a piece of 4X8 sheet of plywood. Clutch is quirky.