2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
I wish I had your Baja :(
By kch5 on 12/18/10 20:27 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

90k miles M/T. If only the engine reliability was as great as the ride. Consistent 1Qt oil consumed per 1k miles driven since got at 60k (and I'm assured by Subaru this is normal and not to worry about it, just fill it up every third gas fill up, no problem). Both head gaskets just blew, along with failed battery and failed water thermostat. To repair all problems, we're talking new battery, head gaskets, thermostat, new piston rings or short block replacement=$5500 at dealer (about equal to trade in value), which means good-bye or home rebuild. Heartbroken trying to find a non-Subaru manual AWD replacement.

2003 Subaru Baja Sport
By doug madden on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am 6'1" and 225 lbs. I found the vehicle to be above ave. in room, ride and road noise. It performs beautifully at highway speeds and in curves, and has plenty of pep from 0- 60 mph. It hauls the 1/4 ton payload with ease and the bed extender allows for needed space to haul multiple appliances or building materials especially with the pass through design in the crew cab. It seats 4 mature adults with comfort and all controls are easy to reach for the driver. My Baja is a stick shift 5 speed and use it in my home rental business and as a toad for my motor-home. I have never owned a vehicle that I have received some many compliments and requests for information and viewings. I will own another one!

Great vehicle to own
By Mary Colletti on 03/08/10 17:35 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part I have had a lot of fun with this vehicle. People stop me and ask if its a car or a truck. It has had a few problems lately but for the most part it has been a reliable vehicle and I would buy a Subaru definitely again. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

My little Baja
By Diana on 09/19/09 17:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My little car has averaged 26-28 mph around town and 30-32 traveling. Today it was rear-ended by a large SUV and may well be a total loss. Fortunately the passenger cab was safe though the truck bed was left much shorter and I am fine. The disappointment is that should I have to get another vehicle, it will not be a Baja. I am very attached to my Baja. It has been the best car I have ever owned. I bought the Baja new and have driven nearly 90000 miles. I really have no complaints.

Excellent vehicle
By BajaMan on 07/08/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as a replacement for my 1994 Jeep Wrangler in December 2002. I was attracted by the fact it was a car and a truck and it's all wheel drive. So far the only major problem was the battery went flat about a year ago for no apparent reason.

Bought two of them
By AnbAnimal2 on 05/30/09 07:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In 2003 I first drove a Baja, liked it so much my son and I each bought one. This car has been a blast, from driving in a Blizzard in Vermont, to the rains of Hurricane Ivan in VA., to the north woods of Canada, the Beaches of Assateaque Island, and through the Rockies in Yellowstone for 5 months. Last year I got 35 mpg in the Rockies and up to 37 mpg on the way back to PA. It still amazes me that people still stop and look at the car. I have the differential cage added, tow package, an alpine stereo system, and a tonneau rear cover, + off Road light bar. This car is one of my favorites, both my son and I refuse to part with them. Mine is red and silver, his the yellow only produced in 2003.

Great vehicle
By AZ on 05/29/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best vehicle I have ever owned. 167000 miles and no troubles, do all the maintenance myself. Very easy to change oil, plugs, belts, and fuel and air filters. I have hauled a variety of things - trencher, lumber, eight 5 gallon paint buckets - very versatile vehicle. Feels like a car but has some truck utility. Get average of 27mpg. Drive 6 miles of dirt road every day and it is still holding up - all neighbors have had to replace their cars but my Subaru keeps going and going.

What a great surprise!
By 2 Bees on 04/18/09 10:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My husband brought his Subaru down to the states from Canada 10 years ago.In South Florida it was an "oddball" to say the least. When we moved to Las Vegas it was in much better company but getting old. While in the dealership for service we watched the Baja's get unloaded, once I saw the yellow one I was hooked! Between the quality and finish I love this car. (No, it's not a truck!) What a blast dashing through the Las Vegas wash in this vehicle, great for off road adventures! I now participate in art festivals and only a minivan will out do this baby. We had a kayak carrier built we love everything about our Baja!

Love My Baja!!
By yellowblaze on 02/04/09 13:19 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we wanted to trade our gas sucking Bronco, this was the only option. Car like performance, truck like utility and unique looks combined into one. We've gotten up to 31 mpg highway and average 23-24 mixed city/suburban driving. We're looking for a new "car" now, but our only option is an 06 Baja (since sadly, Subaru discontinued these in 06). We love the Subaru AWD and reliability but won't settle for a station wagon or minivan which is all they really offer now. This was the BEST of all automotive worlds!

4th time around
By UrABus on 12/24/08 13:43 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 4th Subaru, my 1st was a GL- 10 loaded 5 speed w/4wh pneumatic air lift shocks 22 mpg. I bought one for each of my kids for safety and dependability, and wanted this vehicle since the BRAT hit the street. I'm glad I waited, this is better. 22 mpg. 6 mile commute. 98,000 miles runs like a top. My GL-10 could air lift 3 inches for more ground clearance. A great feature for this one. Air noise, yep, it's a truck not a limo. Shift slock between 15 and 20, yep, but it makes up it own mind. AWD yep, but I'm not so sure about reverse. Maybe that why it has the hooks on the back. Michigan snow,no problem. Gawkers, yep,it's a guy thing. Not a babe magnet. I would buy another one in a minute.