A little slow, a little ugly, but safe
By Dmitry on
2007 Subaru B9 Tribeca 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Gray Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)
I suppose I could talk about how slow the car feels, the so-so ride quality, the hard seats, and the subpar audio system (although it does read MP3 discs); but that's been said. I'd like to talk about how this car saved my life. While driving in the winter in Minnesota, doing about 55 mph, the road suddenly changed from plowed to about 9 inches of snow. As the car begins to slide out of control, I give it full left but the steering is unresponsive, as are the brakes. As I'm about to hit a parked car doing 55, I remember than in an AWD vehicle you must gently apply gas to recover. Voila. AWD saved me from what would have been a horrendous accident. Slow? Who cares.
Favorite Features
TRACTION. And not just tires, but the AWD system, the viscous couplings, the ABS, and everything else that makes this vehicle so perfect for treacherous Minnesota winters. The A/C is very powerful and cold, even when it's 95+ degrees outside. Highway cruising (75+) is comfortable and predictable.
Suggested Improvements
Fuel economy. For its sluggish 3.0L boxer six, I would expect it to do better than 18 mpg average and 22 mpg pure highway. Sport mode is a gimmick; just more aggressive shift points. Ride is a bit tight, but not bumpy. And please get rid of those goofy climate control dials.