2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Limited 5-Passenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Disappointed in Subaru
By marianne7214

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like my Tribeca overall, however, I am extremely disappointed to find out that I need new bushings (like many other owners with a low mileage car). This would appear to be something that should be recalled, however, SOA has yet to do so. Dealer cost to replace bushings is over $1000. I was also disappointed to find out how hard it is to get/install anything for the car (windshield wipers, replace light bulb). Windshield wipers aren't available at auto parts stores and light bulb took dealership mechanic over 30 mins to install.

Favorite Features

Interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights and bushings.

Nice Family Vehicle
By PEB

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This s.u.v. is as close to my dream vehicle as I will get for a while. Beautifully designed in and out and comfortable. The only 2 things that is a very small minus is that the wipers have to be bought from Subaru unless you change the whole arm...can't fit flex or other types of wipers. Second, the power in the first generation tribeca, the B9, is a bit low for hwy passing, but still does the job. Overall...would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a four dour. We love it...beats a tiburon when you have kids!

Favorite Features

Design in and out is beautiful. Nice wide tires. In town acceleration is very good. Symmetrical AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Normal wipers, so you don't have to keep buying inserts at Subaru and more power for Hwy passing but the new Tribeca has that from what I hear.

Beautiful B9 Tribeca
By Robert Brand

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is extremely pleasant to drive as it feels like you are in complete control at all times. It is the most sure-footed car I have ever had. So far most of the driving has been inside the city but the times outside on longer trips I found the navigation system to be very helpful. After driving Cadillacs it took a bit of getting used to a high revving (7000rpm redline) engine. To date absolutely no problems have showed up. I have the five passenger version.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, especially the front end. It is a head turner. The interior design is excellent as all controls are at your finger tips. The "puddle lights" option is something new that others could emulate.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Liking it more than I thought I would
By rc

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We tested everything on the market, from the RAV4 all the way up to the XC90, and chose the 7 passenger Ltd Tribeca, feeling it offered more for the money. We are new to the Subaru brand and enjoying the experience so far. After a bad start, on purchase day, the car we originally leased broke down, but the dealership quickly replaced it. After 4 months of use, this car has really grown on me. Useless third row for anyone over 4 feet, but the fit, finish, ride and comfort are excellent. It fits two adults, two car seats and everything we need to pack easily without feeling overly large. The handling is sharp and the all wheel drive and traction control systems are great

Favorite Features

Dual climate control, seats and interior styling. Amazing AWD system. I've been out two times in ice and snow and the car never had a wheel slip. At the same time, passing SUVs that had spun out on the side of the road, including Jeep Grand Cherokees - the car we traded in for the Tribeca.

Suggested Improvements

You have to convince yourself that the third row seat is only for desperate situations. Small gas tank (17 gals).

My 2006 Tribeca
By Stephanie Allen

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After a month of ownership I have found the Tribeca's performance to be excellent. Its ride comfort is excellent with outside road noise at an acceptable level. The acceleration both from a start up condition as well as passing is better than average. Steering response is excellent and breaking is very smooth with minimum fade. Head room and leg room are is generous. MPG is as advertised. The ride is acceptionally smooth and subtle.

Favorite Features

9 speaker sound system and easy to see and use controls.

Tribeca is the best
By Jackson W.

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Subaru is a very unusual brand for me but after taking the new Tribeca for 24 hours test drive I could not stop my self and bought one. Unbelievably stylish, great performance, nice features, great fuel economy. It is so luxurious, and comfortable. It changes the everything about the SUV we know.

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

No improvements needed.

Works for Me
By Johnny Kay

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a Baja for the last two years but the innovative design just didn't meet my needs for family/pets. The B9 allowed me to stay with Subaru and get the cargo space that I needed. I find the B9 much more fun to drive than my Jeep Grand Cherokee -- better handling, better road grip, and feels more like a car than a truck. Easy access all the way around including in/out of the driver's seat (bad back). The gold is gorgeous, and I don't mind the front styling though I can see that it won't please everybody. As with the Baja, the B9 gets a lot of eye interest from others on the road. Could use a little more oomph at times, and I'd like a slightly larger fuel tank. Good mpg. Drive one.

Favorite Features

Easy access, more than adequate cargo room, easy fold-down seats, night lights on the dash, general layout of dash/controls, smooth ride, great handling.

Suggested Improvements

A few more horses under the hood, larger gas tank.

Love it
By shawn t

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After having our 2005 Outback stolen we bought the Tribeca and have been very happy with it. After owning a Lexus RX 300, I find this car as comfortable and even more fun to drive. It has taken a bit to get used to the outside look, but I am very happy with the inside. I am very happy with this car and would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Inside room and comfort, Subaru's AWD, fit and finish, and price.

Suggested Improvements

Rear back-up camera, and/or rear back-up sensors, 5-seater with NAV and DVD system (only comes in 7-seater).

Tribeca Wins with Fun Ride
By CWhyte

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

August 2005: We compared and test drove new Subaru B9 Tribeca, Highlander LDT, Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, Nissan Murano, Infinity FX3,and used Lexus RX300. Final Round was between MDX & Tribeca. Tribeca won for us. Here's why: Better handling, especially in sudden high speed manuvers. Slight lean never gets worse than slight. Quick, accurate steering and shifting response. 255/55/18 Tires w/ 18" wheels contribute. Fun to Drive: Std auto trans adds "sport" mode AND " Manual mode". Zoom. (But Murono 'shiftless' trans is cool!) Ground clearance: 8.4" allows a some off road adventure confidence. Features & doo-dads: All the rest being about equal or better than the competitors.

Favorite Features

5 passenger w/ flat folding rear seats, "manual" shifting, VERY NICE interior design and layout. Nimble handling for SUV. (But, MDX was quicker) This is NOT the Subaru you know - It is significantly improved. This "crossover" SUV, crosses luxury vehicles and the utlitarian Subaru capibilites

Suggested Improvements

Glove box is tiny. Audio sound quality OK, not great. A real Trip computer without NAV option would be nice. Fit & finish look like car was made by Subaru. I think the front & rear body styling is ugly.

SUV With Personality!
By Robert Brody

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Complements from everyone on the looks of this car! The B9 is a great looking SUV to my eyes. Itís both modern and retro all at once. It's far better looking than the still unattractive WRX or clunky Forester; cars that my eye never really adapted to. Good power and handling. Awesome interior and comfort. Nothing but silky smoothness. I read one owner complaining about gear hunting, but my car exhibits none of that. Switching to manual mode is done on the fly and shifts are both smooth and useful. This is nicer than any SUV under 40K. There are some compromises, but the B9 has most of it right. I'm very impressed thus far.

Favorite Features

Offbeat styling, incredible interior, great climate control system, quiet ride, seamless transmission, very nice audio in the limited, lots of little details that all add up to a well thought out product from Subaru again.

Suggested Improvements

Yes, the rear 7 seat option is a joke. The radio controls on the wheel are too easy to hit when you make a turn. The cargo cover in the back is nothing more than a flap of cloth with hooks. Rearward visibility fair at best. The middle row of seats offers only acceptable legroom.