Used 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca

View reviews for a specific B9 Tribeca model:

Becca is Best
By Roger

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Tribeca, one of the best designed SUV's Subaru was not bright to dump the designer of this set of 2006 cars - Jaguar picked him up. Car is not a fast off of the line car, but it does well otherwise. I have about 112000 miles on her and bought Becca used from a dealer when she had just under 60000. It had factory tow set up and we tow small trailers and once in a while a boat. it does well with both. The trans has been doing some odd down shifting waiting a bit too long before the shift and then needing to shift down two gears rather than one. I am often asked if it is a brand new car - a lot to say for a car that is 10 years old. I just was given a recall for hood latch - they do not have the part but ask me to wait until they come in - just hope the hood does not blow off (ha ha I think) It had another recall for puddle lights that also took a long time to come in, I got a new loaner from the dealer and drove that one fro several months. Dealer has been great about service - always washing the car after and doing very small things for free (example a plastic clip fell off, they just replaced it, no charge. My grandson stuck a CD in and jammed the entire player so it will not work, the dealer took it out but could ot get the cd out - said a new one was going to be $1000 so we just do not use the CD. Overall, I love the car.

awesome snow machine
By Paul

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav, Gray Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like it. This is my first run with Subie. I am very nervous only because I've always drive VW or Audi. First day tire pressure light, and most there after. We baught an unlimited mileage warranty due to the fact that is is used. Washer reservoir froze. It doesnt shift worth a damn durring acceleration, but thats ok because i like the sport shifting anyway, not really an auto tranny fan. Gas mileage sucks, tank is tiny. No bluetooth, unless i want to pay someone to install aftermarket. But my kids love the room. I took my 6'4" neighbor for a ride in the back seat and he loved it. To be honest ive never been in a car where if the seat was all the way back i couldnt reach the pedals, pretty awesome if u ask me ive got really long legs short upper body. It is as solid in snow as any of my Audi's if not stronger. I think it actually handles better in snow than on dry ground. Had to do headlight about a week after i baught it. But i knew it was going when i baught it, and to be perfectly clear is easier to change Subie bulb than a chevy trailblazer's. I think that the so called handy men posting are not so handy. All in all it has kwerks. But it is used, thats why we got warranty. We baught it for upstate NY snow and it does its job... WELL! Now for the kicker. My wife went to pick up dinner. Was in the restaurant maybe 5 min. Came out car clicks but wont start. I went up to parts store grabbed a battery thinkin our winter has killed old one...... Still clicking. Never fear our warranty is here. But i am worried about this being a Subie thing. I wanted this to be my daughters first car. Hope i didnt make the wrong choice by switching for Wolfburg

2006 tribecca
By rich

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 7-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav, Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

just found headlights online and replaced ....installation was a snap as subaru put an access panel under car to get to the 3 screws....drive axils are a pain though

Our Experience After 6 Years & 70k Miles
By pbfoot

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 7-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/DVD, Nav, Beige Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

True and unbiased. Picked up our B9 Tribeca in 2009 with 30k miles as a family car for a young, active family. Drawn in by its AWD, NAV, DVD and 7-Passenger seating. Drove until 2015 with 100k miles. Car was mostly reliable until recently when the problems forced us to unload. It originally felt solid, well built, safe, with a quiet interior. Over time, its weaknesses became apparent, and shakes and rattles piled up. I agree with others' headlight complaint. So poor it was dangerous to drive at night. Service is expensive. The car is so rare that dealer service and oil changes are a must. Suspension and drivetrain components started needing replacement by 100k. 100% would not buy again.

AWD. Subaru has the best system on the market. This SUV is a powerhouse in snow. Complement that with NAV, DVD and 3rd Row (7-Passenger) seating and this is hard to beat anything close in price. Good value. The risk is that it's a completely unique (and discontinued) vehicle that is hard to service, find parts or maintain yourself. The improvements below outweighed the features this vehicle offered.

A lot you wouldn't notice on the surface. 1) The engine is underpowered and requires premium fuel. The 2006-2007 3.0 H6 was not nearly enough so they upped it in 2008 with the 3.6 H6 in 2008. 2) Gas mileage. Granted it was AWD, but this mid-size SUV averaged only 16mpg c/h in winter and about 18mpg c/h in summer. The gas tank is tiny too. 16.9gal. Fill-ups every 15gal only yielded 240-260miles. Lots of gas stops. 3) 3rd row is practically useless for anyone bigger than a toddler. It's absolutely a token rear seat. 4) Maintainability. Being rare and discontinued means costly repairs. Subaru designed proprietary wipers ($40/blade assembly) and headlights impossible for a handyman to replace.

best car i ever owened
By jcp6

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Ltd. 7-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/DVD, Gray Int. (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

never had a issue with this vehicle. as long you keep up with regular oil changes etc... good family vehicle extra seats come in handy. handles really well especially in snow.

all controls buttons are at your finger tips. entertainment unit great for kids. great vehicle overall.