Quirky, of course
By rdown on
2013 smart fortwo pure coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)
I'm a teacher, and they reeled me in with the extra discount - and a generous trade-in on my 10-year old New Beetle. The car has been more fun than I thought it would be to drive, but I agree with other posters that leaving it in pure auto mode results in a lousy ride. Even in 'manual' 1st to 2nd is a drag. The little engine does quickly lug out on hills and even slight inclines, but it drops seamlessly into 4th with an easy pull of the shift lever. Gas mileage so far better than advertised. Plenty of vertical room, but my legs end up jammed against the door and the shifter when it is in 'manual' mode. Along with the seats being uncomfortable, I am not looking forward to long trips.
Favorite Features
Looks. Size. Headroom. (I'm 6'4"). Turning radius - no more K-turns. The tailgate is a cool feature.
Suggested Improvements
There is a general feeling of chintziness in the interior. The seats are poorly padded, cheaply covered and have only basic adjustment capability. The USB input is inconvenient, located in the glovebox. Nicer carpet - it is thin and cheap-looking. I don't like the keys! They are fixed, with a fat fob. I miss the switchblade keys I had on my New Beetle and Audis.
By franktracy
on 12/01/13 07:45 AM (PST)

I'm 6'5" and it sounds like this person does not actually own a smart. First off, no one buys a car that has uncomfortable seats, unless they never took a test drive. Second, if this person hated the shifting, they would not have bought it, unless again, they never took it for a test drive. Third, you do not PULL the shift lever to go into fourth gear, unless you're talking about the paddle. Fourth, no one buys a car where they hate the interior, unless, you got it, they never took it for a test drive and bought it sight unseen. Fifth, I have a 36" inseam and my long legs never get jammed against anything! And much taller people than me drive smarts! I could go on but you get the idea.