Fairly smart car
By partymarty on
2013 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)
I just purchased a Passion coupe for my wife, as she has been very interested in this car ever since it was introduced to the US in 2008. She was driving a 2008 New Beetle Convertible, but reliability issues were making this car a real hassle to maintain. As has been pointed out in countless reviews, the smartfor2 is equipped with a rather bizarre 5-speed automatic transmission which can also be shifted manually via steering wheel mounted paddles or the floor shifter. My wife tends to keep the car in the auto mode and it seems to constantly be shifting; even on relatively small inclines. When I drive the car, I usually use the manual mode. It actually gets better than advertised mileage.
Favorite Features
I do like the roomy seats and headroom (I wear a fedora most of the time), as well as the quirky styling. So far, we have been able to carry everything we need; including a 100+ lb dog when the passenger seat is folded down.
Suggested Improvements
This car BEGS for a manual transmission! It would probably be simpler, smoother and lighter than the current transmission.