Used 2012 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2012 smart fortwo

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Best $7500 ever!
By Mr. commuter

2012 smart fortwo pure coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Bought it used with 2,200 miles on it (3/07/2013) now (05/09/2016) it has 66,833 miles and it just keeps going! 95% hwy use normal oil changes and a new set of tires. That's all! I added a better sound system my round trip from home to work & back is 130+ miles a day! This car serves its purpose.

14k to Replace engine with 22kmiles!!!!
By Ramiro C

2012 smart fortwo pure coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

When I first got my smart car. I was a skeptic. I wanted a small reliable car. So I decided to go with the smallest car out there with the Mercedes Benz reputation with car reliablity. I got my 2012 smartcar with only 10k miles. Great car at first. Oil changes were maintained well. I noticed the brakes went out fast. Every 8 months I needed new brakes.
Then noticed my car wouldn't start regularly. Took it to the Mercedes dealership and found out I needed a whole new engine. Thank God for basic warranty. Which btw is 4 years or 50k miles. After I whole year of travels. My car had 19k miles. I never would have expected the engine needing replacement already. Uggh.
So the dealership is taking care of it now. It's taking almost 2 weeks for ordering new parts.
I asked the dealership how much it would be without the warranty and I almost died when I found out it would cost $14k for the new engine!!! That is way more then what I orginially paid for the car.
Hope no one else gets any of my issues but please be adviced. I will trade in this bad boy as soon as I get it back from the dealership.

Great little car!!!
By frugaldave1298

2012 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Got this as a commuter car for my wife's 13 mile commute.
Only 400 miles so far, but last 2 fill ups have netted 43mpg (mostly hwy) and 39 (50/50).
The good thing about these mpg numbers coming from someone who has had both a 2001 Honda INsight and 2007 Civic Hybrid...is that you DON'T have to try to get good mpg in this car.
It just happens =)
We have the Passion coupe with the wide wheels.

Really though, this is a great 2nd car.
You can drive it when you need to to save on gas and easier parking...and save your larger car for use only when needed.
It makes perfect sense.

Yeah, the transmission is a little funky, but you're used to it in no time, never feel underpowered, etc.

The interior layout with the panoramic sunroof makes it very pleasant. Like the Aux jack AND the USB port. Can control the music from my wireless phone using the stereo control buttons keeping me out of trouble with the police! Easy to get in and out of. We got the manual steering which is standard...at first you're taken back a bit by the extra effort required at the steering wheel driving under 3pmh or so, but get used to it rapidly. LIke the fold flat front seat and hatch glass if loading in larger items like a surfboard, etc. This car is seriously more versatile than wou'd think. Also digging the tailgate for just relaxing on on a nice day. Holds 220lbs which is plenty for me

Maybe a proper manual transmission, but I don't really mind. Also, a slightly lower profile might be nice for improved aero...but that would be for future models. We leased ours, so maybe something better will be out in 3 years. But we love our SMART already. I guess it would be nice if the seats reclined just a bit further.