Used 2010 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2010 smart fortwo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Funky / Fun Gas-Sipper!
By 1smartdriver

2010 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We've owned our 2008 Passion for a full year and really like it. We have a minivan for the times extra space is needed. We've driven it on 2000 mile trips and are glad we added cruise control. 40 mpg + The only negatives we see- it gets moved moderately in high winds, nothing dangerous. Plus it has a somewhat harsh suspension. Other than that it's a fun car to drive- great handling. We feel very secure knowing it has a world-class Mercedes safe design i.e. advanced electronic emergency handling/braking systems and a roll cage like a sports car. If you're considering a micro car PLEASE ignore the idiots who can't see beyond their "OMG it's too small to be safe" mentality and test drive it!

Favorite Features

ease of city driving / parking great handling beautiful interior design / layout excellent build quality

Suggested Improvements

make cruise control standard bring in the 80 mpg diesel version!!!!!

By Jerry

2010 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Purchased in El Paso Texas from individual who had won it and put it on E-Bay. Drove back to LA area in 18 hours..First tank averaged 43. Did wish it had cruise control but enjoyed the trip anyway. At 65 MPH car was fairly comfortable and enjoyable to drive..Hard to believe it is as small as it is when on the road. I am very happy I made the decision to purchase the Smart car. Love to drive it especially for running around town.

Favorite Features

Easy parking and great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Needs cruise control and a better horn

2010 smart fortwo passion
By AmsoilGuy

2010 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Had been researching this car for months and finally bought one. Shifting is not too bad. Did a lot of highway driving and my first top off yielded only 32 MPG. Hopefully the car just needs to be broken in. At 70 MPH, it's just like many people say, the wind rocks the car back and forth on a windy day. In the city, the car is a joy to drive. I love running errands around town in it. I love the ease of parking. This vehicle is not for everyone. Think of it like a motorcycle. It's great as an "extra" vehicle as it has no real utility. It is our 2nd vehicle. 95% of the time all you need to do is carry 1 person around. I don't need a 3500-4000 lb gas hog to do this. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Easy to park. Easy backing up. Easy turning around in small spaces. Easy to cut through tight empty traffic spots (my favorite!) Super cheap for me to use Amsoil as a one-year oil and filter as this car only needs a few quarts. Transmission is ultra cheap for me to maintain also with Amsoil 75W90.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice to have a smoother shifting CVT transmission. A cover for the black seat railing where you slide back and forth. Other car makers don't leave that exposed and cover it with plastic. Would love to see 50-60 MPG instead of 32-40. Needs cruise control as an option. Very hot in summer.