Simply a blast to drive!
By franktracy on
2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)
I bought the 2009 smart passion coupe in September of this year. It drives great on the freeways here in Southern California, including the 10, 605, 57, 60, and 15. It handles great in all lanes and is no problem next to big rigs or in the wind. Also I have never replaced shocks on any car I have ever owned. I have always enjoyed the true feel of the road. This car fits that perfectly. I never drive it in automatic, only in manual mode. It's a heck of a lot of fun to drive, and seats are extremely comfortable. I recently took a bunch of stuff to a local thrift store. The guy unloading it was amazed at how much this little car would hold. I'm 6'5" and I've got plenty of head and leg space.
Favorite Features
There are so many but my favorites include: the ledge on the dash. I've never before seen a car with a ledge. It's great for laying down pens, pencils smartphone, etc. And it looks awesome! Other great features are: power steering, the brake pedal look and feel, gps, iPhone calling, heated seats, slider for sun roof, and the conversations it starts. And one big one - in the 80's I had a manual transmission, but always hoped that someone would come out with a car that didn't have a clutch pedal. Smart did that and also added the steering wheel paddles, hill assist and a floor shifter that is light and changed the way I think about shifters. Also, I love how much room is freed up in my garage.
Suggested Improvements
Spare tire (although the tires on my smart are top of the line - quite expensive), and offer the diesel version in the U.S. Right now I'm averaging about 44 mpg, but it would be great to get the 60-85 mpg that I here the diesel gets. Also, easier access to the battery would be nice.
By franktracy
on 12/08/13 06:37 AM (PST)

Awesome review! I feel your enthusiasm.