2009 smart fortwo pure Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
Smart 4 2
By Robert on 04/01/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The car is so small on the outside yet roomy on the inside. Took delivery and drove 120 miles that day on US 101. The car handles very well at freeway speeds with minimal wind buffeting despite weighing 1800lbs. I have 160miles on it and have used about 4 gallons. Storage room is ample, but I would recommend the optional luggage area divider to keep items from coming forward during braking. Shifting is sluggish for an automatic but if you think of it as a manual without a clutch it seems fine. After driving a V8 Mustang for years the car accerlates slowly but it keeps up with freeway traffic without difficulty. Other reviews said the car was noisy, but I didn't notice any excess noise.

the best vehicle i have ever BOUGHT
By GEORGE on 03/27/09 04:34 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I am 6 ft 4 inches tall and 290 lbs and the room in the car is fabulous the handling is fantastic in ten days I have had about 30 people stop and ask to sit or see the inside they can not beleive it is so comfortable thank you George brown

first car I've ever truly loved
By robert hardaway on 03/11/09 17:59 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The is the first car I've ever truly loved. I had six requirements in buying a car, all of which were satisfied by this car: 1)buy new at less than 12 K, 2)increase in value rather than depreciate, 3)five star safety rating (and I saw the video of them smashing a smartcar into a brick wall at 70mph with virtually no damage to passenger compartment, 4)plenty of room on inside, especially head toom, 5) lots of pep, 6)good in snow, 7) good at high speed, 8)incredibly fun to drive. 9) I have averageed 41 mpg since purchase. Now, why can't we build a car like this in the U.S. so I can buy American?

Worth the wait!
By murphysullivan on 01/26/09 04:50 AM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We had to wait a very long year after placing our reservation for our smart - her name is Daphne. The only way you know you're driving a tiny car is when you get ready to park it. It has wonderful pep; great head-turning quotient - makes everybody smile; and is such fun to drive. We got caught in a heavy snow squall about a week ago and in no time we were driving in a couple of inches of snow (no snow tires) on curvy, hilly country roads. The car performed beautifully. We have ordered the aftermarket exhaust system and are considering replacing the red body panels with yellow ones. Guess we could sell the red ones on eBay.