Used 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Good things come in small packages!
By Mona

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Anaylze the situation: 3 cylinders, 5ft. x 8ft., 2 seats...O.K...now continue: This is the best thing since the telephone!!! The reviews that say no power, or no room, or whatever...GO buy a GAS burning, giant SUV and SHUT UP! This little cutie-pie is great for what you get! I have power steering, leather heated seats, remote keyless entry, alarm, etc. Some of the bigger/money cars don't come with that. Sold by Mercedes Benz, how civilized is that. I drive a Harley Road Glide, as well, and both are a blast! How dare those people to complain! The turning radius and parking ablity cannot be touched by GAS gusslers! Oh, and for the size, it is the safest by far!!

Favorite Features

Knowing that I am surrounded by the Tridion Safety cell (like a NASCAR cage). Does ANY other two seater have that? (Corvette, Miata, Mini Cooper,etc) My A/C runs COLD, even in Houston. Plus, My first long trip I finally stopped for gas with almost 400 miles. After calculating: 48mpg (not bad!)

Suggested Improvements

The A/C vents do need to point downward more. (Needs to blow on your torso, not in your eyes). But for the price, you get a great little car that makes you smile and definitely saves gas!!! Maybe make one of the new colors GREEN...because "smart" is earth-aware.

Love my smart
By Denise

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The smart fortwo is the most unique car I've ever owned. It's not for everybody but I love mine. I couldn't wait to get one and enjoy every moment behind the wheel. Even just looking at it sitting in my driveway makes me smile. I didn't buy it for the fuel economy but I average 42mpg combined city/highway.

Favorite Features

It's a real attention-getter. I get stopped with questions and comments everywhere I go. Even in traffic! The size is deceptive because the interior has plenty of roomy comfort and sufficient cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Possible a tilt wheel.

Fantastic Car
By Sobe

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I wish I had owned this car years ago, but being in the US I had to wait. I fell in love with it since I first saw it in Milano, Italy. I now own this car and I adore it.

Favorite Features

The fashionista body styling of this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Better Radio with integrated Bluetooth and Playback mode for IPhone

They are so good I purchased another one
By JohnnyBones

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback BRABUS coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Let me be the first to sing praises of the BRABUS model. As a fairly fickle person when it comes to cars, I never had purchased the same make/model of car twice (let alone in a row). It all started with a very early delivery of my 2008 SMART Passion which I enjoyed for 20K miles plus. While debating to extend the warranty or trade to a different vehicle, I decided to take a BRABUS for a spin. The bigger rims, heated leather seats, the well sculpted body and the better suspension made it an easy decision and now my Black BRABUS hatch looks gorgeous in my driveway and it gets a lot of looks. For those who doubt the BRABUS magic need to test drive this car. Its a truly a SMART for the guys.

Favorite Features

- Improved and tighter suspension. - 'Special' BRABUS exterior treatment. - Surprisingly good upgraded sound system. - Heated Leather Seats (Standard) - The smirk on my face as I whip through traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Give the US models a turbo! Its a pity that such a great looking small car isn't 'finished off' with the extra power that usually follows the BRABUS name. Well, it appears I am going to have to add an aftermarket kit.

Just good to say
By Jody of N.Y.

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is really good to show off how big it is inside. People I know can't believe how big it is and feels when it drives. The only thing I would change or add is Cruise control. I had it added, that makes it complete for me. I have nothing but fun when I drive it.

Favorite Features

Big doors,auto wipers I never had them before,It's a great thing,

Suggested Improvements

Need to put acc.position on key switch so you don't have to turn off auto head lights.Change the way drive on the shifter works,it needs to only be drive because my wife didn't realize that if you hit the paddle shifter the car doesn't shift automatically any more.