2009 smart fortwo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
High on the fun meter
By Ken on 08/31/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Well, I have had many cars in my life and I can not think of any that is more fun to drive, including my wife's Z-4. It just cruises down the road at 70 to 80 with the big boys. My first tank of gas I averaged 37 MPG.

Small Package Delivers the Goods
By Mike on 08/25/09 05:46 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Bought this car for my wife to drive locally, but I find myself driving it most, mostly because it's just FUN! For a great price, it's loaded with features found on higher-end autos such as rain-sensing wipers, heated leather seats, I take it on the highway as often as I drive locally, and it is surprisingly capable. Keeps up with traffic, responsive, good stability. I cruise at 75 mph and don't feel the speed at all. Seats are extremely comfortable. Driving locally, it is a bit sluggish to get going from a standstill, but once it's rolling it does OK. The shift changes in automatic mode are quite jerky. Manual mode allows for smoother shifting once you get the feel for it. Very good car.

Can't get out of its own way !
By TriCounty on 08/18/09 16:43 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Has no power. Has a hard time getting up a hill. If you live in an area with hills and mountains don't even think about this car .

One Happy Camper
By realsmart1 on 08/13/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I thoroughly researched before purchase. Agonized between the Suzuki SX4, Toyota Prius & the smart. The smart won in the end because of its uniqueness, "star power," and somewhat because it is a Mercedes. I was concerned about it's performance in the snow but felt reassured by a few other smart owners that it is effective getting around even in a blizzard with a foot of snow. I'll need to wait until winter to test its ability to climb grades in the snow. I'm sure the SX4 would have excelled in the snow but according to consumer reports only avg. satisfaction was achieved by Suzuki owners, whereas smart owners overwhelmingly loved their smart as do I. The Prius is just too expensive.

GOOD THING COME IN SMALL PACKAGES
By SMARTALEC on 08/04/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Wanted one as soon as they hit the US market. This car is the bomb. Shifting a little strange at first, but after a couple says you get in "sync" the car. Nimble, quick as it needs to be, great at highway speeds.

I hate to do this
By 6gftbp on 06/19/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This has become a love hate relationship. My wife and I are car lovers, we have a LARGER number ranging from the smart to several high performance sport cars. We live in a semi-rural area. Size doesn't matter. But I do like the nimbleness of our smart and ease of driving. The quirks of the car can get to you. Forget the gearbox, much has been written, but how about the rear hatch. What kind of a computer does it have that it take 10 seconds to release. Why is there no beep confirmation when locking and unlocking doors. Maintenance! I am a little of a do it yourselfer....go check the water in the battery. It's a joke. Many in dealer stock. Bloom is off

Meets and surpasses all expectations
By Markos on 06/04/09 21:30 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This is not a sports sedan. It is a small, efficient urban two passenger transport that has a small footprint but a spacious interior. Being a Daimler product it has the safety and quality expected. Having a small Mitsubishi engine, it is no surprise the performance and reliability it has. Being a European design, it has character and head turning style. Over all this little car has fulfilled and surpassed every design objective and it is fun to drive around town. It is priced well for the market.

Love My Smart (Mini-Benz)
By Lysie on 05/22/09 15:17 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Month and 7k miles, I love this car, it is my favorite. The car is easy to maneuver, great to park. I like driving it in manual mode, where I can control the shifting and make it smoother. It is good on auto but I prefer the manual specially since there is no clutch. The transmission does adapt to your driving style, specially during the break in period.

It's ok
By Rater on 05/13/09 20:23 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

It drives like a jeep (hard and stiff) and is slow to accelerate. The brake pedal is uncomfortable. I use it to go to work where parking is an issue. This is the only reason I bought the car. In this respect it's great. I now compete with motorcycles. But in all other respects it is disappointing. Transmission is slow to shift, a/c not cold enough. Would I buy it again? Yes. Because of the parking issue I have no choice. If I didn't have to go to work and park I would not buy this car.

Great Car
By Bill T on 05/13/09 09:20 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have more fun in this car then in any I have owned. It's responsive, comfortable and a joy. It is amazing to me how something that is so small can feel so big when you're in it. The transmission takes a bit to get used to, but as soon as you do, it works great. If you're looking for a race car, this ain't it, but if you want something to get you where you're going with a smile I'd say you don't have to look further. :-)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback in VA is:

$110 per month*