Used 2009 smart fortwo Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 smart fortwo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Most Fun on 4 Wheels!
By nitro

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I traded a Civic SI for this (hit a deer) and am thrilled with the experience. No it doesn't have the power of the Si or the handling, but it's a ton more fun to drive! Puts a smile on my face everytime I walk up to it. Love opening the top as I approach the car...such a warm welcome! I had navigation and bluetooth installed, except for cruise this is really loaded. Great little run about, even took a refrigerator to work in the back, fit perfectly. It's bigger than you think! Drove to NYC from MD, no issues and 45 mpg in the first 2000 miles. Looking forward to getting over 50 soon!

Red interior, top down and up at any speed, fits anywhere, shifting w/o a clutch, mileage...makes me smile even on my 50 mile commute and in traffic!

no cruise...otherwise perfect for me!

A quick comment about photos
By Smartie

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Love, love, love my car! I average about 38 mpg over my 30 mile round- trip commute, and I've gotten 47 on the highway. I feel very safe (drove 80 mph this weekend). I have the upgraded stereo and it is great for me. I drive to work with a smile on my face every day.

Heated seats, auto wipers, top goes up and down at 60mph, enthusiast groups, gas mileage, smiles from strangers, ease of parking!

Reduce interior windy-ness when the top is fully down (but it's fine if you have short hair!), more oomph to the A/C, make tachometer standard.

A bit high strung!
By gjc

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very high on the cute factor. Really fun to drive with the top down. More interior room is more than expected for such a small car. Premium radio, not so much. Ditto with the A/C. I don't expect a CVT shift with a AM transmission, but Smartie has been in twice to the dealer in three months for very erratic auto shift patterns. Paddle/manual shifting works well.

Takes no room to park in garage,or anywhere. Top up/down at any speed. Several amenities, heated seats, auto rain wipers etc.

A/C ducts need to be able to be directed lower on the body. Better way to check the oil. Temp gauge instead of warning light only. Cheap LCD cluster.

smart choice
By rick

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Excellent car. Impressive engineering, e. G., abs, electronic stability control, corner braking control, tridion safety cell, etc. Outstanding ergonomics, e. G., comfortable seats w/adjustments, excellent visibility, very fun to drive. Handles very well, and power is sufficient to easily keep up with highway traffic. A manual transmission w/o a clutch, the smart shifts best when you do it yourself, either with paddle shifters or the floor mounted shift lever. In d, the shift points seek the most economical shift point v. More torque, etc. Thus, the engine can lug, e. G., too low rpm. Amazing amount of passenger room, and cargo room in the rear is fine.

manual transmission w/o clutch; electronic cabriolet that can be open/closed at any speed. Build quality and quality of components.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Great Car Price & Economy
By MIKE

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have driven the car 80 miles each day and I love it. I drive in auto mode most days and average 39 MPG. I have driven it almost 5000 miles in 2- 1/2 months. There have been no problems or glitches at all. I am a big guy and I have plenty of interior room. I love the auto wipers and the safety in such a small car. Cold air and good heater. Great car.

Safety cell auto wipers interior room good mileage

cruise control