2009 smart fortwo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
More attention than a cute puppy
By Craig on 04/06/10 01:50 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is great. I just bought it and the transmission must be shifted by hand. In the automatic mode feels sluggish. But I never have bought an automatic in my life. I have ridden a motorcycle my for most of my life and driven everything including tractor trailers. The entire roll cage cabin makes you feel safer than a NASCAR. When gas hits 5 bucks a gallon (and it will) the salesmen will have to hold buyers off with a whip and a chair. Forget those stupid electric cars for now. They are 10 years away. We plan a country wide, east of the Mississippi trip this summer. I will write a Smart car blog...warts and all.:>)

Ex TDI Volkswagen owner
By MarkyMarkVW on 03/11/10 07:05 AM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought this SmartCar on a whim. I've ALWAYS driven Volkswagens..from GLI VR6's to TDI's to Vanagons. I'd NEVER--read NEVER own a VW Again. the cars are ok but the repairs are pricey. I bought this SmartCar as a toy. It's turned into a great car. It will run 80 flat out, get 40mpg, park on the sidewalk and fits on my patio. I love it. Transmission is funky but gets the job done. I DRIVE BIG RIGS...I know size. This car is built. I feel safer in this car than my Freightliner. I'm buying a new one next year. LOVE IT. LOVE IT.

not so smart
By Beata on 02/23/10 11:51 AM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The transmission slipps, only one year warranty,very uneven ride, no handbook for the car, car makes a lot of noise,car is not good on Gas

What do you expect?
By Squuirt on 01/06/10 12:59 PM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have heard some complaints that the Smart is slow, or doesn't shift like an automatic. The purpose of the ForTwo and the same reason I bought it was economy, not speed. But it is NO slug! Wind it up and it will go great! 75mph on the freeway is comfortable. Every day I am more impressed with my Smart. Remember, the transmission is a manual that is automated. It shifts exactly how I would expect it to, not an automatic. It takes a little getting used to, but once you understand it, it's fun! I am impressed with the ride for a 1800lb car! I am also 6'1" and have plenty of room! I like the simplicity offering comfort in terms of reliability and longevity. I purchased as a commuter, perfect!

We own 2!
By Rayline on 12/14/09 10:35 AM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We ordered one, got an "orphan" 2 days after they came out in Jan 2008. Loved it so much that we kept the one that we ordered also. Drove them both from TX to CA and had no problems with hills, dust storms, rain or gas. Could drive to one pump, fit and fill both with one bill! Can travel easily at 80-85 mph and have had it to 93. Can park anywhere. Problems with speed or hills are the driver-not the car. Great gas mileage, and great safety features. Also love the heated seats. Have taken it to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and love it in traffic. It's a blast!

Good things come in small packages!
By Mona on 11/29/09 20:42 PM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Anaylze the situation: 3 cylinders, 5ft. x 8ft., 2 seats...O.K...now continue: This is the best thing since the telephone!!! The reviews that say no power, or no room, or whatever...GO buy a GAS burning, giant SUV and SHUT UP! This little cutie-pie is great for what you get! I have power steering, leather heated seats, remote keyless entry, alarm, etc. Some of the bigger/money cars don't come with that. Sold by Mercedes Benz, how civilized is that. I drive a Harley Road Glide, as well, and both are a blast! How dare those people to complain! The turning radius and parking ablity cannot be touched by GAS gusslers! Oh, and for the size, it is the safest by far!!

Love my smart
By Denise on 11/26/09 08:23 AM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The smart fortwo is the most unique car I've ever owned. It's not for everybody but I love mine. I couldn't wait to get one and enjoy every moment behind the wheel. Even just looking at it sitting in my driveway makes me smile. I didn't buy it for the fuel economy but I average 42mpg combined city/highway.

Fantastic Car
By Sobe on 11/21/09 21:26 PM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I wish I had owned this car years ago, but being in the US I had to wait. I fell in love with it since I first saw it in Milano, Italy. I now own this car and I adore it.

They are so good I purchased another one
By JohnnyBones on 09/30/09 18:56 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback BRABUS coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Let me be the first to sing praises of the BRABUS model. As a fairly fickle person when it comes to cars, I never had purchased the same make/model of car twice (let alone in a row). It all started with a very early delivery of my 2008 SMART Passion which I enjoyed for 20K miles plus. While debating to extend the warranty or trade to a different vehicle, I decided to take a BRABUS for a spin. The bigger rims, heated leather seats, the well sculpted body and the better suspension made it an easy decision and now my Black BRABUS hatch looks gorgeous in my driveway and it gets a lot of looks. For those who doubt the BRABUS magic need to test drive this car. Its a truly a SMART for the guys.

Just good to say
By Jody of N.Y. on 09/29/09 17:16 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is really good to show off how big it is inside. People I know can't believe how big it is and feels when it drives. The only thing I would change or add is Cruise control. I had it added, that makes it complete for me. I have nothing but fun when I drive it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback in VA is:

$110 per month*