Used 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Best Car I have ever owned!
By Dave

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought the Smart Car fortwo a year ago. I love it. Easy on gas and drives great. I wished I would have got AC added. Other than that, it's a great little car!

Favorite Features

Style, color you can't beat it. Quality workmanship over all is an A+.

Suggested Improvements

The battery is hard to get to. It's under the floor board on the passenger side. Make it easier to get to.

New Smart Car
By Ron Valkenburg

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just purchased my Smart car yesterday, so far I love it. I traded in my 2004 Toyota Prius with 190,000 miles. I loved the 2010 Prius but could not see spending $32k for a new one. After looking around, the Smart car was my answer, similar mileage as my Prius. I have to get used to some changes like no integrated GPS or Bluetooth but there are other options for that. So far I am loving my Smart, tomorrow will be my first highway commute and I am looking forward to it.

Favorite Features

See through roof, simple maintenance, body panel replacement options, paddle shifters, overall style of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control, heads-up display, integrated NAV not a 3rd party install.

Can't Compare - MORE FUN than Disneyland
By DP of Palmdale

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The dealer went over every page in manual and every detail with me. Disregard reviewer that says it doesn't come with a manual. Transmission is very fun, but like no other - if you try to drive this car like any other car you will either hate it or become frustrated - key is to understand this car is special, but it is very reliable!! I commute 45 miles each way to work, driving through the Angeles Forest Highway - a two lane highway that has many hills and curves. I average 37-38 MPG driving in automatic mode without using the paddles. What I LOVE most - how it waits patiently in the parking lot for me to take it home at the end of each day, makes me giggle every time!

Favorite Features

I love how it shifts. It is actually a manual transmission with no clutch pedal - but, it has a automatic shifter so my head bobs like I am shifting a stick but my hands don't leave the wheel. It get so many looks on every drive and makes others laugh and smile and me, too. It's really fun !

Suggested Improvements

The radio needs to be upgraded to show more info about the station and song you're are listening to because it has plenty of room on the LCD screen. Also, it needs to have a handle mounted above the passenger door - many folks think they need to hold on, so they don't bump the driver on curves.

Most fun car ever, take it everywhere
By tcfrank

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is solid, fun to drive and great in the snow - with engine over the driven wheels and traction control. It's so much fun to drive that I have sold my BMW motorcycle in favor of this car. My wife and I take the car everywhere and can ALWAYS find a parking spot that nobody else can get in! The transmission in full auto mode does take a little getting used to, but the paddle shifters are available to give you what you want when you want it if you don't like the auto shift program.

Favorite Features

See through roof, very easy getting in and out, tall seating position -- nearly as tall as an SUV, great visibility, light tossable feel, solid chassis and body feel; tremendous fuel economy, my wife and I have been averaging 45 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Quicker responding auto shift program

Great City Commuter Car
By Juniorswa

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Have owned this car for a little while now and I have to say I love it! I'm averaging 35 mpg using automatic mode and a/c in city traffic. Insurance rates are low and the smart gets a lot of attention. The interior is very roomy and comfortable. Inside it feels like any other car. My last car was a Mazda Miata, so the interior is very comfortable and the ride is very quiet to me. The hatchback trunk is also really great! I too was initially afraid when I first purchased my smart, but this car really grows on you quickly. This is my first European car as I have only owned Japanese brands until now: Mazda, Toyota, and Honda. The Mercedes-Benz service at the dealer has been fantastic!

Favorite Features

Panoramic roof, outside temperature gauge, gas mileage, able to change color of car easily, safety features, alloy wheels, interior design, iPod hook up, easy to park, automatic air conditioning, hatchback/tailgate, paddle shifters, strong bright headlights, leather steering wheel and shift knob.

Suggested Improvements

Diesel engine option, cruise control, center arm rest (should be standard), tilt steering wheel, seat height adjustment, other leather color options besides black (red or beige perhaps?). Bose sound system option! (My old car had this and it's the one thing I REALLY miss!)