2009 smart fortwo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
Most Fun on 4 Wheels!
By nitro on 09/05/09 16:06 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I traded a Civic SI for this (hit a deer) and am thrilled with the experience. No it doesn't have the power of the Si or the handling, but it's a ton more fun to drive! Puts a smile on my face everytime I walk up to it. Love opening the top as I approach the car...such a warm welcome! I had navigation and bluetooth installed, except for cruise this is really loaded. Great little run about, even took a refrigerator to work in the back, fit perfectly. It's bigger than you think! Drove to NYC from MD, no issues and 45 mpg in the first 2000 miles. Looking forward to getting over 50 soon!

A quick comment about photos
By Smartie on 08/31/09 14:08 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Love, love, love my car! I average about 38 mpg over my 30 mile round- trip commute, and I've gotten 47 on the highway. I feel very safe (drove 80 mph this weekend). I have the upgraded stereo and it is great for me. I drive to work with a smile on my face every day.

A bit high strung!
By gjc on 08/25/09 13:33 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very high on the cute factor. Really fun to drive with the top down. More interior room is more than expected for such a small car. Premium radio, not so much. Ditto with the A/C. I don't expect a CVT shift with a AM transmission, but Smartie has been in twice to the dealer in three months for very erratic auto shift patterns. Paddle/manual shifting works well.

smart choice
By rick on 06/16/09 08:43 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Excellent car. Impressive engineering, e. G., abs, electronic stability control, corner braking control, tridion safety cell, etc. Outstanding ergonomics, e. G., comfortable seats w/adjustments, excellent visibility, very fun to drive. Handles very well, and power is sufficient to easily keep up with highway traffic. A manual transmission w/o a clutch, the smart shifts best when you do it yourself, either with paddle shifters or the floor mounted shift lever. In d, the shift points seek the most economical shift point v. More torque, etc. Thus, the engine can lug, e. G., too low rpm. Amazing amount of passenger room, and cargo room in the rear is fine.

Great Car Price & Economy
By MIKE on 05/30/09 02:57 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have driven the car 80 miles each day and I love it. I drive in auto mode most days and average 39 MPG. I have driven it almost 5000 miles in 2- 1/2 months. There have been no problems or glitches at all. I am a big guy and I have plenty of interior room. I love the auto wipers and the safety in such a small car. Cold air and good heater. Great car.

How Telling
By BREUZR on 05/27/09 05:10 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I had to laugh at the disparity between expert reviews and consumer reviews. Also at the comment "unsuitable for highway use." Ask the semi drivers on IH-20 how "unsuitable" it is. As they pass, they check their rear view mirror to see how their vortex has affected the smart. They have to be amazed by the stability. Drivers are also surprised that the smart can be issued a ticket for speeding. lol Is the smart easy to drive? Not at first, but with practice it becomes an extension of the driver, and is a pure joy. Jaws gape at the tight u-turns and how easy it is to park in lot spaces approached from the wrong direction. As the reviews show, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Love this car!!!!!!!
By Murkey on 04/23/09 10:26 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I recently bought my Smart car from a dealer instead of ordering online. I really enjoy it.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Murkey on 04/14/09 10:20 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is fun and versatile to drive. You can drive it in the automated (transmission) or the manual mode. It drives much better in the manual mode and you have more control over the acceleration level and shifting into gears. You can’t compare this car to a traditional sedan, which is what many reviewers try to do. This car is in a league by itself. There is plenty of room for 2 average size people and it makes getting around and parking in an urban area much easier than any other car.

Way to much $$$$$ for a Smart
By Bob_Azar on 04/12/09 11:27 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible BRABUS cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Everyone things it cute but its boring to drive.

The Corvette of economy cars
By robert stout on 03/31/09 00:48 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Old people have discovered this car, so it is not sold to youngsters only...People ask me if it gets 60 miles per gallon, and I respond it gets the best gas mileage of any non-hybrid sold in America...You can do a u-turn on a narrow 2 lane street,but don't try going fast over speed bumps...The Passion is loaded with standard equipment, including panorama roof,paddle shifters,auto air,electric windows/locks,and ABS/ stability control... The Smart is Amazingly roomy for two...It has enough space in back for a week's groceries...It has style,which is lacking in other economy cars... It is a Mercedes on a beer budget...Resale value will likely challenge Corvette and most Japanese imports...

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 smart fortwo Convertible in VA is:

$113 per month*