Used 2009 smart fortwo Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 smart fortwo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

LOVE my Smart red convertible!
By jtb9265

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have owned CRX's, Miatas, Mini Coopers, and other comparable cars. They've all been great, but there's just something about the Smart! Let's face it, it's not a car for everyone - but if you do most of your driving by yourself (or with one other person), it's a complete joy to own! I chuckle when people ask me, "So, can you take it on the freeway?" To set the record straight, YES you can - and not only does it drive like any other car, it's a LOT more fun!

Exterior/interior styling, power convertible roof, surprisingly quiet (even with the top down), build quality

Transmission could be smoother

I love it on the highway!
By Angela

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

But it is the most fun in a city. I regularly drive my smart fortwo on the NY thruway, and the garden state parkway, up to the Catskills from Philly. Yes, the handling takes a while to get used too. But for the 2010 review to state it gets tossed around on the highway is ridiculous. Perhaps people need to learn how to drive again? Steering a huge SUV is different than driving a smart. I prefer the smart. Where it excels is when I am in my row home in Philadelphia. I have never had to hunt for a parking spot, maneuverable in the city, and awesome handling makes it easy to get out of tight situations. I save $200 a month on parking. Get smart!

Maneuverability, easy parking, roomy interior, sitting up high, convertible top that I can put down whilst moving. All the smiles and thumbs up I get from strangers. A true green manufacturing process and comparable gas mileage to my prior Honda Civic Hybrid, without battery disposal concerns.

Transmission, better marketing.

The Best I've Ever Owned
By Happy Guy

2009 smart fortwo Convertible BRABUS cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The car has 5 star crash rating front sides and a 4 star for the rear. The car is great to drive it makes you fell that you are always in control. It handles like it's on rails. It's small size makes parking a dream. I can park vertically up to the curb in NYC and protrude no further into the street than a conventional car. The convertible top can be opened and closed at any speed. The fuel economy is incredible.

Convertible top feature, Heated seats, It's rally an eye catcher I can't go anywhere without people asking me about it.

I would like cruise control to be added if possible. And maybe a turbocharger.

Finally out-grew the mini-van!
By Kelly

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After owning a mini-van for 18 years, I finally got to go small! I had my eye on a Smart for over a year and decided to finally go for it. I was a bit nervous at first, thinking I might miss the size of a van. After driving it the Smart for 2 day I am no longer worried! I have so much fun driving my Smart! The more I drive the more I love it. I find any excuse just to go out and drive. Made my first trip to Costco and managed to fit everything. (I still have 2 17 yr olds at home) Love all the attention I get. Trying to convince my husband to get one for his commute to work.

Heated leather seats. Convertible-fun in the sun. Overall size.

Steering wheel radio controls.

Upgraded To Cabriolet!
By realsmart1

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I originally bought a blue with silver tridian coupe back in July... had issues with water retention in rear hatch...was given a cabriolet smart loaner during repairs...fell in love with convertible...immediately upgraded to a red with a black tridian convertible because of 1.2% APR financing promotion, despite $3000 depreciation for trade-in . I have no regrets...LOVE the convertible. Read my other review for coupe, same applies to this car.

Very flexible convertible--can open and close at any speed; closing convertible last minute before it rains therefore can use on days with rain in forecast! Love the tachometer & dash mounted clock, quirky but sporty. Very effective fog lamps, casts a wide area of illumination.

Doors are too rigid upon opening and sometimes difficult to shut completely. How about a diesel version in the near future and/or all-wheel-drive? A real Brabus Edition w/150hp would be nice instead of only 70hp. Other colors such as metallic red, metallic purple, metallic lime, metallic orange...