Used 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

LOVE LOVE LOVE MY SMART FOR TWO!!!!
By George

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Hands down this car has been the smartest vehicle purchase I have ever made. I purchased the vehicle two months ago used with 70,000 miles on it. It needed just a little TLC when I first bought it, as it appears that some maintenance was due, or neglected by the previous owner. I had the 60,000 mile service done, as it is so important to have the valves adjusted on these little cars every 60,000 miles so as to prevent burnt valves and an expensive engine rebuild. It also needed several other maintenance items including a brake job, tire alignment, new belts, and a software update for the spring shift on the transmission due to a computer glitch that cause the transmission to occasionally not shift from park without a little finagling. Overall I am quite pleased. This ran car really great before, but once these issues were addressed, I have been given peace of mind and more confidence in my little car. It also did improve it's overall performance. I purchased the car for quite a good deal, and even with the additional money I invested in immediate maintenance needs, I still came out ahead overall, since other Smart Cars with the same mileage and year were running at a $1000 plus premium over the car I purchased. I even recently took it on a 1500 mile road trip over very mountainous terrain with a full load of cargo and my wife and I both in the car. It was like the little engine that could. It struggled a little on the hills but it managed to climb each one and return an average fuel economy of 43mpg doing it! It is easy to park, I get people stopping to stare and ask questions everywhere I go. It is small on the outside, but spacious on the inside. It is overall very comfortable to drive, even on long distances. It is a joy to drive in the city, which is where it feels most at home. The seats are firm and supportive. The interior feels like it is well built and made out of quality materials. Yes Mercedes did something right with this car. Safety, reliability, fun factor, and practicality. What more can you ask for. I am already planning an upgrade to another Smart Fortwo in a few years. They have a life time fan.

Simply a blast to drive!
By franktracy

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought the 2009 smart passion coupe in September of this year. It drives great on the freeways here in Southern California, including the 10, 605, 57, 60, and 15. It handles great in all lanes and is no problem next to big rigs or in the wind. Also I have never replaced shocks on any car I have ever owned. I have always enjoyed the true feel of the road. This car fits that perfectly. I never drive it in automatic, only in manual mode. It's a heck of a lot of fun to drive, and seats are extremely comfortable. I recently took a bunch of stuff to a local thrift store. The guy unloading it was amazed at how much this little car would hold. I'm 6'5" and I've got plenty of head and leg space.

There are so many but my favorites include: the ledge on the dash. I've never before seen a car with a ledge. It's great for laying down pens, pencils smartphone, etc. And it looks awesome! Other great features are: power steering, the brake pedal look and feel, gps, iPhone calling, heated seats, slider for sun roof, and the conversations it starts. And one big one - in the 80's I had a manual transmission, but always hoped that someone would come out with a car that didn't have a clutch pedal. Smart did that and also added the steering wheel paddles, hill assist and a floor shifter that is light and changed the way I think about shifters. Also, I love how much room is freed up in my garage.

Spare tire (although the tires on my smart are top of the line - quite expensive), and offer the diesel version in the U.S. Right now I'm averaging about 44 mpg, but it would be great to get the 60-85 mpg that I here the diesel gets. Also, easier access to the battery would be nice.

What a great little car
By sampbris

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have owned many many vehicles in my 62 years and this is the first car ever that I have kept for over two years. I have enjoyed my smart for almost 4 years now. I have never had a problem with the car. When I bought it I had a Mercedes ML550 and a Toyota truck...I soon found that I didn't enjoy driving either one of those anymore (especially the "repair hungry" Mercedes) and I sold them....the smart has been my only vehicle since and the car has remained solid, reliable, economical and fun. Everyone wants to know about it and you can never get gas without ending up in a conversation about it.
The outer finish never gets nicks or stone chips and looks as good as the day I bought it.

2 year old smart passion
By mech_pe

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Best car I have owned for commuting to work.
Fun to drive like a go-cart. My wife loves to drive it on the weekend. Roomy with upright seating like a pickup. Flying rocks will not dent the car. 10,000 miles between oil changes. Gas mileage consistant 42 mpg in Minneapolis. Worst was 38 mpg in the deep slushy snow plus warming up in driveway. My commute is freeway at 80mph to downtown congestion at 60 miles per day. Easy to park and manuever. Some states allow straight into the curb (no parrallel) and sharing of parking spaces with a motorcycle or two smart cars. Plastic panels resist rust and you can change the car's color in about 4 hours. Very tough little car with good acceleration.

Fun to drive. Plastic changable body panels all around. Cheap on gas!!!! CONSISTANT 42 mpg. 320 miles at 7.5 gal. (Not like my friends with their hybrids that get 49 in the city but 26 on the highway.) Comfortable seating, easy access. Will not spin out on ice. Enough space to haul groceries and some 8 foot 2X4 boards. When stopped on a hill and you release the brake, it stays on for 1 second while you put your foot on the accelerator. It won't roll backwards. Cheap annual tune-ups. Great workhorse.

Transmission shifts like someone driving a manual. Takes about two weeks to not feel it. Rough ride compared to a luxury car. Similar to a truck or motorcycle. High crosswinds may bother you, unless you have flown an airplane; then it is just fun. Like bad weather is for most guys! Only room for two. You'll need another car for the family or a truck to haul with.

Great CITY car
By BRokicki

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just bought a 4 month old 2009 with 1500 miles for a MB dealership that used it as a loaner car. After driving 5 hours back home I was impressed, this little guy keeps up with traffic just fine, cross winds at highway speeds (75 mph) are not fun, so slow down over bridges. I bought the car mainly for parking in NYC. I can fit it every where! My Smart doesn't have power steering, it's fine for me but you do have to put a bit of muscle into it when parking in a small spot, once the car is moving, there is no difference. It has 2K miles and there are already some rattles, not good! Only buy this car if you live in a congested area, or you only want 1 passenger!

Parking, pano roof, mpg, it has much more cargo room than you think! It's so much fun driving in the city.

No spare tire! The transmission should be a real 5spd or a real automatic, it takes some getting used to. Passenger side should have grab handles.