2009 smart fortwo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
Simply a blast to drive!
By franktracy on 12/01/13 07:14 AM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought the 2009 smart passion coupe in September of this year. It drives great on the freeways here in Southern California, including the 10, 605, 57, 60, and 15. It handles great in all lanes and is no problem next to big rigs or in the wind. Also I have never replaced shocks on any car I have ever owned. I have always enjoyed the true feel of the road. This car fits that perfectly. I never drive it in automatic, only in manual mode. It's a heck of a lot of fun to drive, and seats are extremely comfortable. I recently took a bunch of stuff to a local thrift store. The guy unloading it was amazed at how much this little car would hold. I'm 6'5" and I've got plenty of head and leg space.

What a great little car
By sampbris on 02/04/13 14:45 PM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have owned many many vehicles in my 62 years and this is the first car ever that I have kept for over two years. I have enjoyed my smart for almost 4 years now. I have never had a problem with the car. When I bought it I had a Mercedes ML550 and a Toyota truck...I soon found that I didn't enjoy driving either one of those anymore (especially the "repair hungry" Mercedes) and I sold them....the smart has been my only vehicle since and the car has remained solid, reliable, economical and fun. Everyone wants to know about it and you can never get gas without ending up in a conversation about it. The outer finish never gets nicks or stone chips and looks as good as the day I bought it.

2 year old smart passion
By mech_pe on 12/30/11 12:31 PM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Best car I have owned for commuting to work. Fun to drive like a go-cart. My wife loves to drive it on the weekend. Roomy with upright seating like a pickup. Flying rocks will not dent the car. 10,000 miles between oil changes. Gas mileage consistant 42 mpg in Minneapolis. Worst was 38 mpg in the deep slushy snow plus warming up in driveway. My commute is freeway at 80mph to downtown congestion at 60 miles per day. Easy to park and manuever. Some states allow straight into the curb (no parrallel) and sharing of parking spaces with a motorcycle or two smart cars. Plastic panels resist rust and you can change the car's color in about 4 hours. Very tough little car with good acceleration.

Great CITY car
By BRokicki on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just bought a 4 month old 2009 with 1500 miles for a MB dealership that used it as a loaner car. After driving 5 hours back home I was impressed, this little guy keeps up with traffic just fine, cross winds at highway speeds (75 mph) are not fun, so slow down over bridges. I bought the car mainly for parking in NYC. I can fit it every where! My Smart doesn't have power steering, it's fine for me but you do have to put a bit of muscle into it when parking in a small spot, once the car is moving, there is no difference. It has 2K miles and there are already some rattles, not good! Only buy this car if you live in a congested area, or you only want 1 passenger!

Smart all around
By Bruno the Smart on 08/04/10 16:41 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my Smart Passion. I traded my BMW 5 series in for a Smart car friends and family all called me crazy but I turned 18 and had to start paying for things on my own. This is my only car and I do a lot of driving City, Highway and suburbs daily. I love my Smart and love driving it. I do wish it did a little better on gas but compared to the BMW it rocks. Having a two seater really is not a big deal and there is plenty of storage space. The car handles great and parking is never a problem. I love all the looks and comments I get and I love the design of the car. Overall I would recommend it to any one!

Best Car I have ever owned!
By Dave on 05/28/10 05:16 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought the Smart Car fortwo a year ago. I love it. Easy on gas and drives great. I wished I would have got AC added. Other than that, it's a great little car!

New Smart Car
By Ron Valkenburg on 05/23/10 06:05 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just purchased my Smart car yesterday, so far I love it. I traded in my 2004 Toyota Prius with 190,000 miles. I loved the 2010 Prius but could not see spending $32k for a new one. After looking around, the Smart car was my answer, similar mileage as my Prius. I have to get used to some changes like no integrated GPS or Bluetooth but there are other options for that. So far I am loving my Smart, tomorrow will be my first highway commute and I am looking forward to it.

Can't Compare - MORE FUN than Disneyland
By DP of Palmdale on 05/22/10 01:19 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The dealer went over every page in manual and every detail with me. Disregard reviewer that says it doesn't come with a manual. Transmission is very fun, but like no other - if you try to drive this car like any other car you will either hate it or become frustrated - key is to understand this car is special, but it is very reliable!! I commute 45 miles each way to work, driving through the Angeles Forest Highway - a two lane highway that has many hills and curves. I average 37-38 MPG driving in automatic mode without using the paddles. What I LOVE most - how it waits patiently in the parking lot for me to take it home at the end of each day, makes me giggle every time!

Most fun car ever, take it everywhere
By tcfrank on 05/03/10 13:12 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is solid, fun to drive and great in the snow - with engine over the driven wheels and traction control. It's so much fun to drive that I have sold my BMW motorcycle in favor of this car. My wife and I take the car everywhere and can ALWAYS find a parking spot that nobody else can get in! The transmission in full auto mode does take a little getting used to, but the paddle shifters are available to give you what you want when you want it if you don't like the auto shift program.

Great City Commuter Car
By Juniorswa on 04/09/10 10:13 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Have owned this car for a little while now and I have to say I love it! I'm averaging 35 mpg using automatic mode and a/c in city traffic. Insurance rates are low and the smart gets a lot of attention. The interior is very roomy and comfortable. Inside it feels like any other car. My last car was a Mazda Miata, so the interior is very comfortable and the ride is very quiet to me. The hatchback trunk is also really great! I too was initially afraid when I first purchased my smart, but this car really grows on you quickly. This is my first European car as I have only owned Japanese brands until now: Mazda, Toyota, and Honda. The Mercedes-Benz service at the dealer has been fantastic!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback in VA is:

$110 per month*