2009 smart fortwo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
WORLDS FINEST GO CART WITH AC AND AIR BAGS
By brabus4two on 08/01/13 21:14 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible BRABUS cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I picked it up in Vegas in 2012 with only 6100mi. and went straight to the strip that evening with the top down and the Biggest Smile on my face! This Brabus stole the show from the worlds finest automobiles as everyone was looking and pointing! This car satisfies my desire for a car, a motorcycle, and a Go Cart...The transmission is "different" relax and let it do it's job while you do yours Smiling...Want to go faster then use the paddle shifter! And those who say AC is weak need Freon, it was 113 and I had to turn it down and windows are not tinted! After a year I still haven't hit 7,000mi yet...I love the car so much I can't bare to put miles on it...So I treat myself now and then

BB!
By leeleeph on 05/27/11 10:40 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just got this car a few days ago & it was used, with 20,000 miles on it already.It still looks brand new though and works like a charm! I have heated seats with black leather interior and my smart car is yellow with black panels.I absolutely love it! I couldn't think of any other car to satisfy my every need on the road.I have yet to drive it on the highway, but i'm sure that day will come sometime soon! I recommend this car to EVERYONE.Unless driving small, cool, and fun just isn't your style.This car is for someone who isn't much of a business person.But It is overall and amazing car.I'm glad i purchased it.

Honest Car
By Greg on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I own a red and black '09 Cabriolet with nearly 30,000 miles on the engine. Overall, I like the car very much. It is an honest car; honest in what it is designed to do and honest in its appeal to drivers who want sensible fun. Granted, it is not a fast car and I usually take my time to get up to highway speed. That being said, most of the lag is in the transmission so once in 5th gear the car easily dominates in traffic. The ride is stiff, not unlike a MINI Cooper and handling is crisp with perhaps a hint of its weight in the steering. The interior is brightly decorated but feels cheap for its price class. Even so, the car is very sturdy on the road, the important parts being solid as rocks.

Much more than I expected!
By jtb9265 on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Purchased a leftover 2009 convertible with $2,500 incentive and free options. I've owned Mini Coopers, Miatas, and Honda CRXs, so I'm no stranger to small cars. I am SO pleasantly surprised with my Smart car! I was expecting a good car, and what I got is a GREAT car! The Smart is unique, fun-to-drive, and an overall joy. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2009 Smart Passion Convertible
By Andrea on 08/03/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought this car because it was so fun to drive and makes me smile every time I get in it. I've found that shifting manually lends to a smoother ride than automatic mode. I've driven the car on highways at 70+ mph speeds with and without tractor trailers and the drafts following the tractor trailers does create an environment that pushes the little car around, but honestly, even my Murano gets pushed around when traveling behind tractor trailers at high speeds. A majority of the driving I intend to use this car for doesn't involve highways anyway so I feel very safe and comfortable.

LOVE my Smart red convertible!
By jtb9265 on 06/26/10 23:27 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have owned CRX's, Miatas, Mini Coopers, and other comparable cars. They've all been great, but there's just something about the Smart! Let's face it, it's not a car for everyone - but if you do most of your driving by yourself (or with one other person), it's a complete joy to own! I chuckle when people ask me, "So, can you take it on the freeway?" To set the record straight, YES you can - and not only does it drive like any other car, it's a LOT more fun!

I love it on the highway!
By Angela on 05/03/10 05:14 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

But it is the most fun in a city. I regularly drive my smart fortwo on the NY thruway, and the garden state parkway, up to the Catskills from Philly. Yes, the handling takes a while to get used too. But for the 2010 review to state it gets tossed around on the highway is ridiculous. Perhaps people need to learn how to drive again? Steering a huge SUV is different than driving a smart. I prefer the smart. Where it excels is when I am in my row home in Philadelphia. I have never had to hunt for a parking spot, maneuverable in the city, and awesome handling makes it easy to get out of tight situations. I save $200 a month on parking. Get smart!

The Best I've Ever Owned
By Happy Guy on 03/20/10 16:57 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible BRABUS cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The car has 5 star crash rating front sides and a 4 star for the rear. The car is great to drive it makes you fell that you are always in control. It handles like it's on rails. It's small size makes parking a dream. I can park vertically up to the curb in NYC and protrude no further into the street than a conventional car. The convertible top can be opened and closed at any speed. The fuel economy is incredible.

Finally out-grew the mini-van!
By Kelly on 02/28/10 20:52 PM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After owning a mini-van for 18 years, I finally got to go small! I had my eye on a Smart for over a year and decided to finally go for it. I was a bit nervous at first, thinking I might miss the size of a van. After driving it the Smart for 2 day I am no longer worried! I have so much fun driving my Smart! The more I drive the more I love it. I find any excuse just to go out and drive. Made my first trip to Costco and managed to fit everything. (I still have 2 17 yr olds at home) Love all the attention I get. Trying to convince my husband to get one for his commute to work.

Upgraded To Cabriolet!
By realsmart1 on 10/07/09 12:26 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I originally bought a blue with silver tridian coupe back in July... had issues with water retention in rear hatch...was given a cabriolet smart loaner during repairs...fell in love with convertible...immediately upgraded to a red with a black tridian convertible because of 1.2% APR financing promotion, despite $3000 depreciation for trade-in . I have no regrets...LOVE the convertible. Read my other review for coupe, same applies to this car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 smart fortwo Convertible in VA is:

$113 per month*