Used 2009 smart fortwo Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 smart fortwo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

WORLDS FINEST GO CART WITH AC AND AIR BAGS
By brabus4two

2009 smart fortwo Convertible BRABUS cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I picked it up in Vegas in 2012 with only 6100mi. and went straight to the strip that evening with the top down and the Biggest Smile on my face! This Brabus stole the show from the worlds finest automobiles as everyone was looking and pointing! This car satisfies my desire for a car, a motorcycle, and a Go Cart...The transmission is "different" relax and let it do it's job while you do yours Smiling...Want to go faster then use the paddle shifter! And those who say AC is weak need Freon, it was 113 and I had to turn it down and windows are not tinted! After a year I still haven't hit 7,000mi yet...I love the car so much I can't bare to put miles on it...So I treat myself now and then

First I must say without the top down there is no smile! I love the fact that I can talk to my wife with the top down at speed, not so with other conv. I've owned and music also sounds great with the top down! Love had tight and quiet it is with top up, no roof flap at all! Love the Brabus pkg with the wheels, and twin center tail pipes. And on dark roads the lights are nearly as bright as my old Lexus LS430 with HID headlights! No rattles, no shakes, lots of room and I'm 6' 2" and 330lbs! Seats supportive and fell nice, heated seats work great to! Just love the rear wheel drive with engine in the rear the way it's suppose to be! Love to control top from remote also!

Without a Spare car should have run flat tires at least...Wish it had Blue Tooth...With they would offer a model in the US with a Turbo Diesel...Wish it came with a center arm rest, but it's not a Big Deal for me...Wish it had disc brakes in the rear, I hate to look through nice 17' Wheels and see the old school brake drum...

BB!
By leeleeph

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just got this car a few days ago & it was used, with 20,000 miles on it already.It still looks brand new though and works like a charm! I have heated seats with black leather interior and my smart car is yellow with black panels.I absolutely love it! I couldn't think of any other car to satisfy my every need on the road.I have yet to drive it on the highway, but i'm sure that day will come sometime soon! I recommend this car to EVERYONE.Unless driving small, cool, and fun just isn't your style.This car is for someone who isn't much of a business person.But It is overall and amazing car.I'm glad i purchased it.

The heated seats, The convertible top, The leather, that is a nice and fit interior design, Stereo setting with 6 disc change, The hatch back, The exterior design, Almost everything!

The only improvement I would say they could make is the gear shift when the car is in automatic mode.It is kind of jerky at first when you drive it but i can say after a while with this car, you get used to that feel and it really doesn't bother you at all.

Honest Car
By Greg

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I own a red and black '09 Cabriolet with nearly 30,000 miles on the engine. Overall, I like the car very much. It is an honest car; honest in what it is designed to do and honest in its appeal to drivers who want sensible fun. Granted, it is not a fast car and I usually take my time to get up to highway speed. That being said, most of the lag is in the transmission so once in 5th gear the car easily dominates in traffic. The ride is stiff, not unlike a MINI Cooper and handling is crisp with perhaps a hint of its weight in the steering. The interior is brightly decorated but feels cheap for its price class. Even so, the car is very sturdy on the road, the important parts being solid as rocks.

I love its diminutive size. This is perhaps the biggest appeal of these cars. The way in which they are manufactured messages my sense of efficiency and environmental stewardship. The convertable top and heated leather seats are the best features. Really, don't buy one unless you get the Cabriolet.

The engine needs another 30 hp standard. Fuel economy is mediocre for what you have to sacrifice in comfort and ride quality. Honestly, I wonder if it wouldn't benefit from a small 4- cylinder in terms of pickup and economy. The transmission is too slow! Watch out Mercedes, Toyota is on your tail.

Much more than I expected!
By jtb9265

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Purchased a leftover 2009 convertible with $2,500 incentive and free options. I've owned Mini Coopers, Miatas, and Honda CRXs, so I'm no stranger to small cars. I am SO pleasantly surprised with my Smart car! I was expecting a good car, and what I got is a GREAT car! The Smart is unique, fun-to-drive, and an overall joy. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Just about everything. The exterior is completely one-of-a-kind, and the interior is one you'd expect in a much more expensive car.

I'd read a bit about the 'jerky' transmission (only in the 2 low gears), but once you drive it for a few days, the shifting becomes natural, automatic, and smooth. It's really a non-issue, though a silkier shift through the gears would be nice.

2009 Smart Passion Convertible
By Andrea

2009 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought this car because it was so fun to drive and makes me smile every time I get in it. I've found that shifting manually lends to a smoother ride than automatic mode. I've driven the car on highways at 70+ mph speeds with and without tractor trailers and the drafts following the tractor trailers does create an environment that pushes the little car around, but honestly, even my Murano gets pushed around when traveling behind tractor trailers at high speeds. A majority of the driving I intend to use this car for doesn't involve highways anyway so I feel very safe and comfortable.

The convertible top, of course. It is just so fun to drive. The fuel efficiency is awesome too. It handles great and the compact size is a real plus too. The automatic top is awesome. The real bonus is the ability to change the color of the car by switching out the panels.

Like the other reviewers, a smoother CVT would be nice. The Leather seats are not as comfortable as the the cloth seat. A Tilt wheel would also be a nice standard feature.