Used 2009 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2009 smart fortwo

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Simply a blast to drive!
By franktracy

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought the 2009 smart passion coupe in September of this year. It drives great on the freeways here in Southern California, including the 10, 605, 57, 60, and 15. It handles great in all lanes and is no problem next to big rigs or in the wind. Also I have never replaced shocks on any car I have ever owned. I have always enjoyed the true feel of the road. This car fits that perfectly. I never drive it in automatic, only in manual mode. It's a heck of a lot of fun to drive, and seats are extremely comfortable. I recently took a bunch of stuff to a local thrift store. The guy unloading it was amazed at how much this little car would hold. I'm 6'5" and I've got plenty of head and leg space.

Favorite Features

There are so many but my favorites include: the ledge on the dash. I've never before seen a car with a ledge. It's great for laying down pens, pencils smartphone, etc. And it looks awesome! Other great features are: power steering, the brake pedal look and feel, gps, iPhone calling, heated seats, slider for sun roof, and the conversations it starts. And one big one - in the 80's I had a manual transmission, but always hoped that someone would come out with a car that didn't have a clutch pedal. Smart did that and also added the steering wheel paddles, hill assist and a floor shifter that is light and changed the way I think about shifters. Also, I love how much room is freed up in my garage.

Suggested Improvements

Spare tire (although the tires on my smart are top of the line - quite expensive), and offer the diesel version in the U.S. Right now I'm averaging about 44 mpg, but it would be great to get the 60-85 mpg that I here the diesel gets. Also, easier access to the battery would be nice.

WORLDS FINEST GO CART WITH AC AND AIR BAGS
By brabus4two

2009 smart fortwo BRABUS cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I picked it up in Vegas in 2012 with only 6100mi. and went straight to the strip that evening with the top down and the Biggest Smile on my face! This Brabus stole the show from the worlds finest automobiles as everyone was looking and pointing! This car satisfies my desire for a car, a motorcycle, and a Go Cart...The transmission is "different" relax and let it do it's job while you do yours Smiling...Want to go faster then use the paddle shifter! And those who say AC is weak need Freon, it was 113 and I had to turn it down and windows are not tinted! After a year I still haven't hit 7,000mi yet...I love the car so much I can't bare to put miles on it...So I treat myself now and then

Favorite Features

First I must say without the top down there is no smile! I love the fact that I can talk to my wife with the top down at speed, not so with other conv. I've owned and music also sounds great with the top down! Love had tight and quiet it is with top up, no roof flap at all! Love the Brabus pkg with the wheels, and twin center tail pipes. And on dark roads the lights are nearly as bright as my old Lexus LS430 with HID headlights! No rattles, no shakes, lots of room and I'm 6' 2" and 330lbs! Seats supportive and fell nice, heated seats work great to! Just love the rear wheel drive with engine in the rear the way it's suppose to be! Love to control top from remote also!

Suggested Improvements

Without a Spare car should have run flat tires at least...Wish it had Blue Tooth...With they would offer a model in the US with a Turbo Diesel...Wish it came with a center arm rest, but it's not a Big Deal for me...Wish it had disc brakes in the rear, I hate to look through nice 17' Wheels and see the old school brake drum...

What a great little car
By sampbris

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have owned many many vehicles in my 62 years and this is the first car ever that I have kept for over two years. I have enjoyed my smart for almost 4 years now. I have never had a problem with the car. When I bought it I had a Mercedes ML550 and a Toyota truck...I soon found that I didn't enjoy driving either one of those anymore (especially the "repair hungry" Mercedes) and I sold them....the smart has been my only vehicle since and the car has remained solid, reliable, economical and fun. Everyone wants to know about it and you can never get gas without ending up in a conversation about it. The outer finish never gets nicks or stone chips and looks as good as the day I bought it.

2 year old smart passion
By mech_pe

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Best car I have owned for commuting to work. Fun to drive like a go-cart. My wife loves to drive it on the weekend. Roomy with upright seating like a pickup. Flying rocks will not dent the car. 10,000 miles between oil changes. Gas mileage consistant 42 mpg in Minneapolis. Worst was 38 mpg in the deep slushy snow plus warming up in driveway. My commute is freeway at 80mph to downtown congestion at 60 miles per day. Easy to park and manuever. Some states allow straight into the curb (no parrallel) and sharing of parking spaces with a motorcycle or two smart cars. Plastic panels resist rust and you can change the car's color in about 4 hours. Very tough little car with good acceleration.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Plastic changable body panels all around. Cheap on gas!!!! CONSISTANT 42 mpg. 320 miles at 7.5 gal. (Not like my friends with their hybrids that get 49 in the city but 26 on the highway.) Comfortable seating, easy access. Will not spin out on ice. Enough space to haul groceries and some 8 foot 2X4 boards. When stopped on a hill and you release the brake, it stays on for 1 second while you put your foot on the accelerator. It won't roll backwards. Cheap annual tune-ups. Great workhorse.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts like someone driving a manual. Takes about two weeks to not feel it. Rough ride compared to a luxury car. Similar to a truck or motorcycle. High crosswinds may bother you, unless you have flown an airplane; then it is just fun. Like bad weather is for most guys! Only room for two. You'll need another car for the family or a truck to haul with.

BB!
By leeleeph

2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just got this car a few days ago & it was used, with 20,000 miles on it already.It still looks brand new though and works like a charm! I have heated seats with black leather interior and my smart car is yellow with black panels.I absolutely love it! I couldn't think of any other car to satisfy my every need on the road.I have yet to drive it on the highway, but i'm sure that day will come sometime soon! I recommend this car to EVERYONE.Unless driving small, cool, and fun just isn't your style.This car is for someone who isn't much of a business person.But It is overall and amazing car.I'm glad i purchased it.

Favorite Features

The heated seats, The convertible top, The leather, that is a nice and fit interior design, Stereo setting with 6 disc change, The hatch back, The exterior design, Almost everything!

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would say they could make is the gear shift when the car is in automatic mode.It is kind of jerky at first when you drive it but i can say after a while with this car, you get used to that feel and it really doesn't bother you at all.