2009 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
Simply a blast to drive!
By franktracy on 12/01/13 07:14 AM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought the 2009 smart passion coupe in September of this year. It drives great on the freeways here in Southern California, including the 10, 605, 57, 60, and 15. It handles great in all lanes and is no problem next to big rigs or in the wind. Also I have never replaced shocks on any car I have ever owned. I have always enjoyed the true feel of the road. This car fits that perfectly. I never drive it in automatic, only in manual mode. It's a heck of a lot of fun to drive, and seats are extremely comfortable. I recently took a bunch of stuff to a local thrift store. The guy unloading it was amazed at how much this little car would hold. I'm 6'5" and I've got plenty of head and leg space.

WORLDS FINEST GO CART WITH AC AND AIR BAGS
By brabus4two on 08/01/13 21:14 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo BRABUS cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I picked it up in Vegas in 2012 with only 6100mi. and went straight to the strip that evening with the top down and the Biggest Smile on my face! This Brabus stole the show from the worlds finest automobiles as everyone was looking and pointing! This car satisfies my desire for a car, a motorcycle, and a Go Cart...The transmission is "different" relax and let it do it's job while you do yours Smiling...Want to go faster then use the paddle shifter! And those who say AC is weak need Freon, it was 113 and I had to turn it down and windows are not tinted! After a year I still haven't hit 7,000mi yet...I love the car so much I can't bare to put miles on it...So I treat myself now and then

What a great little car
By sampbris on 02/04/13 14:45 PM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have owned many many vehicles in my 62 years and this is the first car ever that I have kept for over two years. I have enjoyed my smart for almost 4 years now. I have never had a problem with the car. When I bought it I had a Mercedes ML550 and a Toyota truck...I soon found that I didn't enjoy driving either one of those anymore (especially the "repair hungry" Mercedes) and I sold them....the smart has been my only vehicle since and the car has remained solid, reliable, economical and fun. Everyone wants to know about it and you can never get gas without ending up in a conversation about it. The outer finish never gets nicks or stone chips and looks as good as the day I bought it.

2 year old smart passion
By mech_pe on 12/30/11 12:31 PM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Best car I have owned for commuting to work. Fun to drive like a go-cart. My wife loves to drive it on the weekend. Roomy with upright seating like a pickup. Flying rocks will not dent the car. 10,000 miles between oil changes. Gas mileage consistant 42 mpg in Minneapolis. Worst was 38 mpg in the deep slushy snow plus warming up in driveway. My commute is freeway at 80mph to downtown congestion at 60 miles per day. Easy to park and manuever. Some states allow straight into the curb (no parrallel) and sharing of parking spaces with a motorcycle or two smart cars. Plastic panels resist rust and you can change the car's color in about 4 hours. Very tough little car with good acceleration.

BB!
By leeleeph on 05/27/11 10:40 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just got this car a few days ago & it was used, with 20,000 miles on it already.It still looks brand new though and works like a charm! I have heated seats with black leather interior and my smart car is yellow with black panels.I absolutely love it! I couldn't think of any other car to satisfy my every need on the road.I have yet to drive it on the highway, but i'm sure that day will come sometime soon! I recommend this car to EVERYONE.Unless driving small, cool, and fun just isn't your style.This car is for someone who isn't much of a business person.But It is overall and amazing car.I'm glad i purchased it.

Honest Car
By Greg on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I own a red and black '09 Cabriolet with nearly 30,000 miles on the engine. Overall, I like the car very much. It is an honest car; honest in what it is designed to do and honest in its appeal to drivers who want sensible fun. Granted, it is not a fast car and I usually take my time to get up to highway speed. That being said, most of the lag is in the transmission so once in 5th gear the car easily dominates in traffic. The ride is stiff, not unlike a MINI Cooper and handling is crisp with perhaps a hint of its weight in the steering. The interior is brightly decorated but feels cheap for its price class. Even so, the car is very sturdy on the road, the important parts being solid as rocks.

Much more than I expected!
By jtb9265 on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Purchased a leftover 2009 convertible with $2,500 incentive and free options. I've owned Mini Coopers, Miatas, and Honda CRXs, so I'm no stranger to small cars. I am SO pleasantly surprised with my Smart car! I was expecting a good car, and what I got is a GREAT car! The Smart is unique, fun-to-drive, and an overall joy. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Great CITY car
By BRokicki on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just bought a 4 month old 2009 with 1500 miles for a MB dealership that used it as a loaner car. After driving 5 hours back home I was impressed, this little guy keeps up with traffic just fine, cross winds at highway speeds (75 mph) are not fun, so slow down over bridges. I bought the car mainly for parking in NYC. I can fit it every where! My Smart doesn't have power steering, it's fine for me but you do have to put a bit of muscle into it when parking in a small spot, once the car is moving, there is no difference. It has 2K miles and there are already some rattles, not good! Only buy this car if you live in a congested area, or you only want 1 passenger!

Smart all around
By Bruno the Smart on 08/04/10 16:41 PM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my Smart Passion. I traded my BMW 5 series in for a Smart car friends and family all called me crazy but I turned 18 and had to start paying for things on my own. This is my only car and I do a lot of driving City, Highway and suburbs daily. I love my Smart and love driving it. I do wish it did a little better on gas but compared to the BMW it rocks. Having a two seater really is not a big deal and there is plenty of storage space. The car handles great and parking is never a problem. I love all the looks and comments I get and I love the design of the car. Overall I would recommend it to any one!

2009 Smart Passion Convertible
By Andrea on 08/03/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought this car because it was so fun to drive and makes me smile every time I get in it. I've found that shifting manually lends to a smoother ride than automatic mode. I've driven the car on highways at 70+ mph speeds with and without tractor trailers and the drafts following the tractor trailers does create an environment that pushes the little car around, but honestly, even my Murano gets pushed around when traveling behind tractor trailers at high speeds. A majority of the driving I intend to use this car for doesn't involve highways anyway so I feel very safe and comfortable.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 smart fortwo in WA is:

$137 per month*