Thought they would never get here!
By Hal on
2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)
Started driving them in Europe over 7 years ago and they were a delight, cute , very maneuverable, and fit in all the very small places in Rome,Paris, and London. Tried immediately to buy one (they were 60,000 lire/$6000 US in Rome) when I first tried. They would not sell me stating that the U.S. would not allow me to import them. My wife and I ordered one each in late 2007 and they arrived in May and July 2008. They are a delight to drive and have plenty of pep, a delight to merge onto the freeway and can easily go 90 mph or higher if some SUV gets testy and aggressive. They are very safe & stable weighing in at more than a ton, have ABS and ESP, 4 airbags & a 5+ crash rating. Go for it!
Favorite Features
Very maneuverable,effortless steering (especially with power steering). Very BIG and LITTLE (big inside and small outside),very colorful, attractive,cheerful and outright fun. Lots of thumbs up and many many inquiries. My wife and I often fit our two Smarts in one parking place-NO tickets yet!
Suggested Improvements
I believe that the cars suspension (quite firm) is set up to assist its stability but a little softer would be desirable. Surprisingly there is considerable torque for its engine size and it negotiates steep hills even when the auto shift has it in 5th gear. I believe an overdrive could be installed.