They almost got it perfect
By Mike Ross on
2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)
Had this been a 10,000 car it would have been perfect, but not at 15 grand. Reliability = 1 star for obvious reasons - anybody who sells a car with the worst waranty in America (2 years) doesn't trust their own product. Performance is fine if you don't mind accelerating from 0-60 in 14 - 15 seconds. Certainly something I'd deal with for 100 mpg (not even near what this car gets) Gas Mileage - we're talking about pushing around a golf cart with a 1 liter engine, and 30-40 mpg on premium gas is all it gets? If this were a 10 grand car, and averaged 80 mpg I'd have 2.
Favorite Features
The interior is great, for as small as it is, it seems solid. Aftermarket capabilities are limitless, I can't wait till I see these sold for $500 with blown engines/transmissions. Imagine what a bit of welding and $5K for non smart car engines could do to this thing.
Suggested Improvements
When I buy a golf cart sized car with a lawnmower engine, sacrifice a 3, 5, 7, and in some cases a 10 year waranty, and expect to use premium gas for a car that does 0-60 in 15 seconds, I'd expect much better gas mileage, or at least a car half the price of a Honda.